PDA

View Full Version : Sptiballing - Marketing Advice for Small Start-up Takeaway

Pita
07-10-2015, 10:33 AM
My partner and I potentially have an opportunity to start a small urban takeaway. We have applied for a grant for a space under an urban downtown development project to convert empty spaces into viable businesses. We have done the research and feel that this business will work well in the area and at this location.

The downtown area is up and coming. The street we would be on has a mix of over 40 other restaurants and is becoming a trendy foodie destination for this region. Within the surrounding blocks there are many established businesses in the office buildings and federal buildings. Additionally within the past few years over 500 new upscale apartment units have been build or converted.

My partner has restaurant operational experience. I do not, but I feel that I have solid operational and business experience to provide.

After this long-winded introduction, my question is can you offer suggestions for how to conduct an initial marketing effort for the takeaway? I feel we want to get the word out to the nearby offices and apartment complexes first. What suggestions do you have for us to reach that market? How should we use social media? Traditional print? Anything else? We are prepared to undertake a focused marketing effort, but like everyone, or budget is not unlimited and I'd prefer to the effort to be as cost efficient as possible.

Thanks!

Freelancier
07-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Go high tech and low-tech. I'd go with a web site that had a full menu, a facebook page for coupons and daily specials, a sample menu that you put on a paper flyer with a QC code to get people to your web site or facebook site, and I'd then blanket the area with the flyers (and make nice with the receptionists when you go around with the flyers, because they're the ones who order in for big meetings). The web site is the biggest expense, your time is next biggest with these tactics.

I'd also get a sandwich board for out front when you're open for lunch or dinner to highlight specials and your menu. Capture the walk-by traffic that way. And see if you can set small tables up on the sidewalk out in front of your store.

David Hunter
07-10-2015, 12:11 PM
^Do people still (have they ever) use QR codes?! ha

One thing with the menu flyers... you can use the USPS's Every Door Direct Mail to blanket whatever area you want.

I just got a menu flyer from a local pizza shop. It was just one big, folded menu sent EDDM.

Freelancier
07-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Do people still (have they ever) use QR codes?! haYes, if you tell them what it's for. For example, I'll shop at HD and buy a plant that has one and the planting/care instructions will be on the other end of a QR code. In this case, they would use it to drive traffic to their site if someone wants to know more or get current coupons/specials.

KristineS
07-10-2015, 12:24 PM
Go high tech and low-tech. I'd go with a web site that had a full menu, a facebook page for coupons and daily specials, a sample menu that you put on a paper flyer with a QC code to get people to your web site or facebook site, and I'd then blanket the area with the flyers (and make nice with the receptionists when you go around with the flyers, because they're the ones who order in for big meetings). The web site is the biggest expense, your time is next biggest with these tactics.

I'd also get a sandwich board for out front when you're open for lunch or dinner to highlight specials and your menu. Capture the walk-by traffic that way. And see if you can set small tables up on the sidewalk out in front of your store.

Freelancier has a lot of the same ideas I would have recommended.

I will elaborate on one thing, which is social media. Social media can be very helpful for businesses like yours. Offering coupons and specials is one thing, but you can also give our your menu daily, spotlight any special items you're offering or special deals on food, and simply post pictures of people enjoying your food. We have a cupcake shop here in the town where I live who has done amazingly well using Facebook to advertise. They post their cupcake menu daily, and whoever does their photographs takes stunning pictures of cupcakes. So keep in mind photography of your food is going to be important.

David Hunter
07-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Yes, if you tell them what it's for. For example, I'll shop at HD and buy a plant that has one and the planting/care instructions will be on the other end of a QR code. In this case, they would use it to drive traffic to their site if someone wants to know more or get current coupons/specials.

Nice!!! I see them around, I just don't know anyone who actually has a QR reader. Now I do! ;-)

Harold Mansfield
07-10-2015, 12:57 PM
If I had one suggestion it would be to implement a solid delivery process. There are a few options now like Grubhub, Eat24, Ddish, and some others. Or you can do it yourself.
Picking up food is OK (I assume that's what you mean by "takeaway"), but delivery is how you reach everyone. And being able to order it easily online is a huge convenience.

I can't tell you how many times I order food from restaurants that I've never seen or been to just because they have what I was looking for and make it easy for me to do business with them online. Most of them I've never talked to anyone except the delivery driver.

On the flip side, I live close to an area called "Chinatown" that is filled with Chinese, Sushi, Thai, and every other type of "Asian" cuisine. I've seen places with great food fold because their delivery and order by phone process was a total nightmare. I've ordered from places that weren't as good, just to avoid the horrible experience of having to order from certain places over the phone.

No sense in doing flyers or anything else of you don't have delivery down to a science.

jamesray50
07-10-2015, 11:23 PM
I agree with Harold on the delivery.

Harold Mansfield
07-11-2015, 10:20 AM
Nice!!! I see them around, I just don't know anyone who actually has a QR reader. Now I do! ;-)

I've always kept one installed. I'll scan one every now and then, but it's mainly a big let down. I really liked the idea of QR codes.
Sadly marketers didn't do much with them, the public was never really taught how to use them, and so they never took off in the U.S. like I thought they would.

I do notice that a lot of the door hangers I get for services or delivery menus have a QR code on them, but seriously I'm obviously already at home so if I want to look them up I just do it from a full sized computer.

Pita
07-11-2015, 10:46 AM
I really appreciate the ideas. Until now we have been focused on preparing our proposal for the space. We now need to start looking at the details for how the business will be run in the event our proposal is accepted.

The takeaway will be a European-style creperie, with the primary menu items being sweet or savory crepes. There will be a few self-service tables with seating inside and outside on the sidewalk. The space is small, which lends itself to a restaurant that does not require a lot of cooking equipment.

We hadn't thought about delivery service, but that might be something to consider. Crepes will be a new concept in our area so they will mix well with the up-and-coming vibe of the area. Not sure how a crepe delivery will work, but it is a great idea.

Please keep the ideas coming!

Freelancier
07-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Most places I know that do crepes also have some fresh green salad offerings. Something to consider. You can limit delivery area to, say, 1 mile to make sure the food stays freshest and people will appreciate that even if it means they have to travel to get to you if they are outside that area.

Pita
08-07-2015, 12:57 PM
I wanted to again thank everyone for their inputs here and to also bump this thread to see if anyone else cares to contribute...

An update: My partner and I have been asked to meet with representatives from the local downtown commerce association to answer some specific questions regarding our business concept. This face-to-face meeting was not mentioned as being necessary in the initial request for submission, but I think it's a good thing because it will reflect how serious all parties are. I liken this to making callbacks when auditioning for a role in a play. It's good news. It also means that we have to have our stuff together before our big meeting next week.

I will incorporate some of the suggestions I've received on this thread into our preparation for the meeting. I will also try to keep you all updated on our progress if we are selected to be one of the businesses for this grant. Perhaps I'll write/maintain an on-going, step-by-step diary of a start-up for this forum if I can find the time.

Thanks again,

Pita

PHCProducts
08-11-2015, 04:17 PM
First you need to find as many business directories as possible and make sure that your business address and any other relevant information is added to it. This is going to help you with local search results because Google will see that your address, business name, and description are all confirmed by these different directories. Obvious exampls include Yelp.com, Google+, Facebook, Twitter, and many others. Check out this article for 50 more (http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/10322/The-Ultimate-List-50-Local-Business-Directories.aspx)

Hope that helps you get started!

Pita
08-13-2015, 03:13 PM
We had the meeting with the downtown business association earlier this week. I've been to a lot of meetings in my professional life. Some go well, others poorly. This was definitely the former! My partner and I both wore huge smiles as we walked out the door afterwards.

Based on the reception from the committee I really think we hit it out of the park with our presentation. By the way they asked their questions and how they responded to our answers it was an indication to us that they really liked our concept. I know that in sales these would be called "buying signals". We did our homework beforehand. We had a good story to go with our business proposal and could demonstrate how our business will mix with the other businesses in the area. We submitted some solid financials to back up our proposal. And we ended the meeting by providing some samples of the varieties of crepes we will have on our menu.

We also followed up the meeting with a nice thank you note to the committee, and got a nice reply in return, which is also a positive.

We will know if our business proposal is selected in early September. I know it's dangerous in business to start "counting chickens", but it's hard not to be excited about how well the meeting went. I hope that even if we are not a finalist in the program the committee might work with us to find other locations for our business.

We should know more in a couple of weeks. Wish us luck!

razchan
10-10-2015, 06:31 PM
If you are considering delivery, I would get in touch with the secretary or admin assistants of companies, college institutes around your area to cater for their staff meetings or events. Look at law firms, real estate firms, big corporations. My wife works at a large university and they have meetings with catered food all the time. This is just one department. Think of all the departments on campus.

SZ Alliance
07-06-2016, 01:19 PM
You can also use facebook. I wouldnt recommend facebook normally, but in your case it might work quite well. So first of all, set up your facebook business page, create an offer like a 15% discount etc. Then you want to promote that post via Facebook ads. Make sure you target people via geolocation. So your facebook ad is displayed to everyone on facebook who lives in your zipcode. The good thing about this is, you can keep on running the ad without cost until the ad is clicked (choose CPC - cost per click). They say it takes people 6 times to see your ad to become familiar with it, so i think if you keep on running the ad, everyone in your area with a facebook account will know about it.