PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Installation

Bomeara
08-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Hello,

I am new to this forum and eager to learn. I have a question that I'm sure many of you can answer.

I am 24 and currently working at a trade show exhibiting company. I've been full time in the industry since I was 17, but at this current location for only a year now. Five years ago, I picked up the skill of vinyl/digital print graphics, including vehicle wraps, and has become a very simple task. The company I work for now has seen my ability to install/print graphics and love my work but will not pay anymore for my extra hard work, just my hourly rate. I love vinyl and do not mind the work at all, but that is not my job title. My question is, is it possible to independently contract my vinyl installation and bill them for my work, as if they were hiring another installation group to do it? If so, what would I have to do to achieve that?

They have paid other companies heavily in the past for installations, being that graphics aren't cheap. Now I do the installations and they're saving tons of money and I see no reward. There has to be a way to get my foot in that door.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Pita
08-05-2015, 01:50 PM
I think it is possible, but you have to be careful how you present it to you company. If your bosses are reasonable and you present it as a win-win situation you might be in a good position to go independent and have them hire you as a contractor. By that I mean you offer the same quality service on a per-job basis for less than what they would be paying you to do it as their employee (don't forget to factor in the additional overhead they have to pay for keeping you on as an employee, such as taxes, health care, 401K or vacation time).

So for example, a job you would normally work 4 hours to do at $10 per hour might cost your company $50 ($40 wages +$10 HR overhead). If you are efficient you might be able to do the same job on your own in 2.5 hours and charge them the same $40, but in the end they are saving $10 and you are earning $16 per hour. Win-win! But you need to be able to frame it that way so that they understand the benefits for them to allow you to work as a contractor.

Before you jump out on your own do you have other customers lined up as work if you current company does not take kindly to their employees becoming one of their suppliers? Hanging your success on just one customer is not a sound business practice. Before taking the plunge you might want to test the waters by taking on customers part time in the evenings and weekends and building that customer base before approaching your current boss. That way if your boss is not receptive to your new idea you have something to fall back on.

I had a similar experience with a telecommunications company I worked for long ago. I formed a partnership with a few other employees. My partners and I had a novel way to resell the telecommunications company's products and wanted to sign on as resellers just like the telecom company's other customers. This brought up a whole slew of legal questions and our CEO eventually deemed that our product name was now owned by the telecom company we worked for because we were current employees at the time. It created a lot of resentment because we truly felt that our product would increase revenues for our parent telcom company, thereby benefiting everyone, but our CEO did not see it that way (BTW, he was a real prick even before this). It eventually led to the demise of our little partnership, and also taught me a few lessons about business and about life.

However you approach it, always try to see it from the side of your customer and how it will benefit them. And be prepared if they simply can't or won't accept that it good for them. Good luck.

cbscreative
08-06-2015, 10:50 AM
As a former sign guy I am well aware of the skill required to do vinyl application properly.

Your situation does have some sticking points. Your current employer may feel threatened by you offering the service independently but that depends on the employer. I also identify with how they want to take advantage of your skill and only pay you what they can get away with. This indicates a high likelihood they won't be thrilled with you going into business for yourself.

What you might be able to do is get contract work from local instant sign shops. These places typically pay very low and don't have skilled workers (high turnover). They do however sell a lot of vinyl that their customers won't be able to properly apply. The downside is the "not my problem" attitude of many of these sign shop owners but if you can find some that see the value of contracting with a good installer, you may be able pick up a decent amount of work. It might require they have financial incentive to use your services but you can set your rates high enough that it will far beat your current situation.

Stay on good terms with your current employer if possible. When you decide to leave to dedicate more time to your business, they might be willing to contract with you as well.

Harold Mansfield
08-06-2015, 12:28 PM
If you're doing this with the hope that your current employer will be your main client, don't do it. Just ask for a raise.
However if you think you can make a go as an independent with other service providers you may want to check the streets and see what the market will get.
If everyone else is cutting costs by hiring some kid for cheap, what's going to make them hire you for more?
Also, how big is your potential client pool?
Are there other services that you could provide to expand it?