PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up 800 Number

BLG
08-15-2015, 12:13 PM
I've just started looking into setting an 800 number up and from what I can tell, it's going to be a monthly fee just to use one. Is this right? If this is the case, what should I be looking for? Are there any companies that you recommend?

billbenson
08-15-2015, 06:42 PM
Why do you want an 800 number? Unless its for international business they are pretty useless today

BLG
08-16-2015, 12:42 PM
So that I can brand one phone number across all states.

Harold Mansfield
08-16-2015, 01:49 PM
So that I can brand one phone number across all states.

The good ones (800#'s) are taken or for sale and expensive. I'm assuming you mean toll free number and there are other options like 888, 877, and so one. But who pays tolls anymore?

So you're saying you want a toll free number because it's easier to brand?
You could be correct if you get a good one. If you don't get the perfect number, then it's just another expense.

Also, most such phone numbers are branded into our brains through repetition. Years of constant TV ads repeating the number over and over again.

Assuming the number you want isn't available, the most logical thing to do next would be to brand a web address.
It's cheaper than a toll free number, even if you have to buy the perfect name from a broker, and you own it..you don't have to rent it at the holder's rate. Once you register or buy a domain from someone, renewal is the same price (around $12) once a year.

A great web address that goes to a great website is far more useful than a phone number these days. No one remembers phone numbers anymore. We're out of practice. Again, unless it's perfect.

Having both would be great and expand your reach.

1800Flowers hit it out of the park by having matching phone number and URL.

JMO of course.

David Hunter
08-16-2015, 03:06 PM
Does anyone pay long distance anymore with their cell phones??! I've been able to call U.S. and Canada for many-many years without any extra charges.

Though, I have heard 800 numbers do help with response... I've never dealt with it.

billbenson
08-16-2015, 04:17 PM
I think once in the last year I was asked if we have an 800 number. Other than Harold’s 800flowers example, I don't see much value in a toll free number.

BLG
08-16-2015, 04:57 PM
It's not at all about toll charges because as mentioned nobody pays long distance anymore. It's much more about having the same phone number for all locations throughout the US. We have the type of business where people call more than they go through the web. It's just one of those things where they see us while they're out and about then call us right then and there.

I have the perfect vanity number that ran me nearly 6 figures to obtain, so needless to say, the decision has been made. I just figured I would start here to see if anyone else had experience with this and see if there was any service providers who stand out. There are a lot of options for these companies so I like to rely on other users feedback when possible.

Harold Mansfield
08-16-2015, 05:06 PM
It's not at all about toll charges because as mentioned nobody pays long distance anymore. It's much more about having the same phone number for all locations throughout the US. We have the type of business where people call more than they go through the web. It's just one of those things where they see us while they're out and about then call us right then and there.

I have the perfect vanity number that ran me nearly 6 figures to obtain, so needless to say, the decision has been made. I just figured I would start here to see if anyone else had experience with this and see if there was any service providers who stand out. There are a lot of options for these companies so I like to rely on other users feedback when possible.

So you already have a vanity number, and I assume you already have some kind of call system already set up. So what about the company you are already using? Most companies that offer business phone systems, and ISP's that offer phone and internet services already offer this for business.

Also, how many locations? 5? 50?

So you're looking for something where you can use one number in all of your marketing, but actually rings the closest location to where the call is coming from?
Check Grasshopper Virtual Phone System | Manage Your Calls Online (http://grasshopper.com/).

Is this a DIY project or do you need Enterprise level service and set up?

MyITGuy
08-17-2015, 10:53 AM
You would pay both a monthly recurring charge for the toll free number itself, along with per-minute usage for all inbound calls to that toll-free number. These charges can vary by provider.

I would recommend FlowRoute (https://www.flowroute.com/) as a provider, they would be able to source a generic toll free number for you as well as provide the monthly service. Its a VoIP provider, so you would need a VoIP Phone/System, or forward the Toll-Free # to your regular # for an additional per-minute charge.

If you have a high volume of minutes coming through on this number, then I would also suggest looking at Nobel Biz (Home - NobelBiz (http://www.nobelbiz.com/)), one feature that may be of use to you is the inbound routing (Send a call to different locations based on criteria/volume).

If you're looking for a vanity toll-free # (8XXMYBRAND) then check out TollFreeNumbers.com | The Internet's Toll Free Search Engine for Vanity 1-800 Numbers (http://www.tollfreenumbers.com). It's been awhile since I ordered from them so things may have changed...but once you buy the number they will provide the initial 30 days of service, afterwards you will have to port the number to your provider.

MyITGuy
08-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Just to share, I deal mainly with Call Centers (Billing/Collections) and manage over 500DID/Toll Free numbers and end up pushing a lot of volume through Flowroute/Nobel Biz. If there were any quality/service concerns I wouldn't be recommending them as its hard enough to get a consumer on the phone in our line of business...