PDA

View Full Version : Need some marketing IDEAS.

soumikcha
08-16-2015, 11:52 PM
Hello Everyones,
I have businesses in DC, in the bad part of the dc.

I have check cashing place with cell phone and other merchandise. I am mainly trying to market my phones. But only problem is I do not have a carrier backing me up in one of the location and the other one that I do have representation from a carrier, I am inside another store and can not really market inside the store so I have to do it outside mainly.

For both store, I am trying to promote my free smart phones

Store with no brand representation (surprisingly I am doing better here)
Currently, I have feather flags, posters, banners,

Store with representation. Been more difficult due to being inside another store, so not everyone knows we are inside.
Banners, flags, posters.

Any tips about any specific kind of banners, flags or poster I should make or other kind of marketing that can be effective for me. I would do social media, but it is just not that kind of demographic in the hood that does social media like that.

Harold Mansfield
08-17-2015, 12:05 PM
Store with representation. Been more difficult due to being inside another store, so not everyone knows we are inside.

The first step is to make sure all of your materials say "Located inside...." (where ever it is).

mentrabi
08-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Interesting challenge here. Could you answer a few questions?

Are your locations in high traffic areas? What type of traffic (foot, cars, etc)

Your marketing needs to get people's attention and then provide a call to action IE they need to stop what they are doing and go into your store.

What are some ways to get people's attention in your neighborhood? How can you stand out and be different?

If all the other businesses around you are employing the same techniques as you (banners, posters, flags, etc) you'll blend in.

Finally, once you get their attention you need to get them to come into your store. The only way I'm going into a cell phone store is if I need a new cell phone or accessory, other wise I'm not going. Unless you give me a reason to. Once in, though, you have to close the sale.

Besides free cell phones, what else can you give away that will get the potential clients to come into your store? Is there a food / drink that will make them stop and come in?

Look forward to your response.

David Hunter
08-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Since you're in a "not so hot" area, how about using the USPS's Every Door Direct Mail and mail postcards to the surrounding neighborhoods offering the free phone. Who knows, you say you're in the bad area, so maybe a lot of drug dealers need to phones. And, who doesn't like free?!

soumikcha
08-18-2015, 11:10 AM
<Duplicate post. Moved as additional information>

Cricket usually targeted lower income demographic but now I am going into a 100 AVg household income area.
Cricket was bought by ATT now they are going after everybody, specially Verizon, sprint and t mobile.
It is about 95% white. Alot of them work for the government.
Doing a little research, I found out those customers most likely to ask "WHy Should I choose you?"
It would be much easier if I had legal right to just say we use ATT network but we can not have that on any of my marketing material.

I am planning on going to local events and sponsorship with my tent and letting people know about our product. Also maybe bring food for everyone.
Thinking about direct mailing but not sure if it will be worth it. Or maybe door hanger but could not find anyone locally who can do it. I am located in Crofton MD, if anyone knows a company around there.
Will also do Social media but ATT got a lot of restriction. They want Cricket to be really fancy and professional. SO what ever I want to do, no shortcut. They even came out with their own color like cricket green, cricket white. lol
I will also wrap my car and have it on the parking lot. Since I am right front of the highway with 5 lanes going each way. SO Alot of traffic goes front of my store. I will also try to have some feather flag and banners, maybe a dancing air man but not sure yet. County have a lot of restriction.
Any ad I make, it will need to be approved by them.

David Hunter
08-18-2015, 11:15 AM
You sure like slinging those cell phones! haha

I've heard of Cricket, it's just like Republic Wireless (use them for my business cell since it's dirt cheap).

How much do you make off each phone/service plan per month?

Why should someone choose you instead of going directly to ATT?

Harold Mansfield
08-18-2015, 11:30 AM
Just a thought. You say you're in a bad area. I assume that to mean lower income. So it's likely that there aren't a lot of Spotify, Apple Music, and Sirius subscriptions and that they still listen to radio. How about running radio ads? It has to be cheap by now, but it should still work and there are a lot of people who still listen to regular old radio. Especially in the car.

soumikcha
08-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Are your locations in high traffic areas? What type of traffic (foot, cars, etc): The one in Penn Ave( the one inside another store) gets alot of car traveling in the street. I have like 10 flags but have not been as effective as I liked
The one in Minnesota ave, it gets alot of foot and cars traveling around it. I make more sell here with having 4 times the competition compare to my Penn ave store with only one cell phone store to compete with. I use flag here as well and they have been more effective but lately they were vandalized twice with $500 worth of damage.

Your marketing needs to get people's attention and then provide a call to action IE they need to stop what they are doing and go into your store. I need to figure out a way to make more creative flags but they are very expensive

What are some ways to get people's attention in your neighborhood? How can you stand out and be different? I thought it will help with providing great customer service, but my customers might be loyal to us but usually do not share the news with others. So they would tell other customer in line to go somewhere else so they can get service first. Very frustrating.

If all the other businesses around you are employing the same techniques as you (banners, posters, flags, etc) you'll blend in. I am the only one in both store with the most flag . at Minn ave, I gave the landlord to put a permanent post for each store to have a flag. Only three other stores uses them and I use like 8 of them

Finally, once you get their attention you need to get them to come into your store. The only way I'm going into a cell phone store is if I need a new cell phone or accessory, other wise I'm not going. Unless you give me a reason to. Once in, though, you have to close the sale. When people are interested in the phone, everybody seems to think they do not need to play for the plan,. Only the phone is free, not plan and tax and fees

Besides free cell phones, what else can you give away that will get the potential clients to come into your store? Is there a food / drink that will make them stop and come in? I have alot of things, all kind of bill pay, drinks( will discontinue, people stealing all the time),Alot of accessories for phone, paraphernalia ( you would think that will sell but nope, they can not afford it). All they want is free stuff.

Harold Mansfield
08-18-2015, 02:10 PM
One of the bad things about offering freebies is that you attract people looking for freebies, and therefore don't spend.
You need to target the customers in the area that you want, not just shoot for general foot traffic and hope someone buys something.

I'm not saying it's easy, but it can be done.

You choose to go into business in this area because you thought it was a market that needed to be served and that you could serve it.
Now you need to go back to your reasons for being there and target your marketing to the clientele that you want. The hard working people who need your services and are looking for a solid deal and good customer service.

There are a whole slew of affordable, high quality phones out there now. In such an area you may sell a few iPhones and Note 4's, but you can probably sell a lot more Moto G's, LG's and accessories.

Do you also do repairs? People on budgets or with limited incomes will hold onto phones longer and therefore will need repair and support services.
There's probably also a market in used or refurbished phones as well.

soumikcha
08-18-2015, 02:33 PM

I've heard of Cricket, it's just like Republic Wireless (use them for my business cell since it's dirt cheap).

You sure like slinging those cell phones! haha Ya that is my future business plan and to expand it

I've heard of Cricket, it's just like Republic Wireless (use them for my business cell since it's dirt cheap). nope nope nope, you my friend heard wrong. Cricket is nothing like republic wifi wireless.

How much do you make off each phone/service plan per month? I can make anywhere 40-150, depending on plan and how well I keep my customer

Why should someone choose you instead of going directly to ATT? Well, first of all, Att will rip you off period. Cricket will give you 10 times the value for your money with same network as att, and also freedom. We have unlimited talk text web plan as low as 35, and $100 for 5 lines. You can bring any unlocked or att phones and use it. Thee is no overage or fees. Flat plan with nothing extra. If you like att/t mobile/sprint/verizon, might as well move to Russia. haha. Common NOW! this is MURICA, land of the frees. Those companies do not give you any freedom

soumikcha
08-18-2015, 02:38 PM
One of the bad things about offering freebies is that you attract people looking for freebies, and therefore don't spend.
You need to target the customers in the area that you want, not just shoot for general foot traffic and hope someone buys something.

I'm not saying it's easy, but it can be done.

You choose to go into business in this area because you thought it was a market that needed to be served and that you could serve it.
Now you need to go back to your reasons for being there and target your marketing to the clientele that you want. The hard working people who need your services and are looking for a solid deal and good customer service.

There are a whole slew of affordable, high quality phones out there now. In such an area you may sell a few iPhones and Note 4's, but you can probably sell a lot more Moto G's, LG's and accessories.

Do you also do repairs? People on budgets or with limited incomes will hold onto phones longer and therefore will need repair and support services.
There's probably also a market in used or refurbished phones as well.

Hello Harold,

I really would appreciate if you let me keep a separate post for my two different kind of business marketing post. They have complete opposite demographic and I do not want to confuse anyone.

In my bad areas stores, they can not afford any Note 4. I do not offer repair cuz they can not afford it. That is why I am trying to move into a new location with fresh start with better customers. Once my store at crofton does well, I will open alot more cricket store. And sell my two store in bad area. Only thing they can afford is cheap stuff and they do not take care of the phone and can not afford repair. Instead just get free phones. THey go from boost, to cricket to metro pcs to t mobile back to boost. ANd its a cycle. lol

soumikcha
08-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Since you're in a "not so hot" area, how about using the USPS's Every Door Direct Mail and mail postcards to the surrounding neighborhoods offering the free phone. Who knows, you say you're in the bad area, so maybe a lot of drug dealers need to phones. And, who doesn't like free?!

lol I might try that. Just not trying to spend that much until my new stores open to see the situation.

Harold Mansfield
08-18-2015, 03:14 PM
Hello Harold,

I really would appreciate if you let me keep a separate post for my two different kind of business marketing post. They have complete opposite demographic and I do not want to confuse anyone.

You don't have to open multiple threads for us to keep up. We're really good at keeping up and understand that you are talking about 2 different stores. The marketing advice is going to be pretty similar, that's why I combined your similar post information and closed the others repeating the same question so that you can keep getting responses. Multiple threads with the same title tend to start getting ignored.

Also true with marketing. Capitalize on what's working. This thread is getting responses and suggestions. Add to it. Cultivate it. Don't spread the help you're getting over multiple threads asking the same or similar questions. You have our undivided attention right here.

soumikcha
08-18-2015, 07:08 PM
You don't have to open multiple threads for us to keep up. We're really good at keeping up and understand that you are talking about 2 different stores. The marketing advice is going to be pretty similar, that's why I combined your similar post information and closed the others repeating the same question so that you can keep getting responses. Multiple threads with the same title tend to start getting ignored.

Also true with marketing. Capitalize on what's working. This thread is getting responses and suggestions. Add to it. Cultivate it. Don't spread the help you're getting over multiple threads asking the same or similar questions. You have our undivided attention right here.

Ok sounds good. ANd Finally boost came by one of the store and dropped of their loop video. IT took them 5 months to get me one. IF you deal in any ways with sprint, I would like to know how bad are they. Cuz I can not stand them. 0 communication skill.

I just hope nobody destroy my tv.

I am also trying to see at my minn ave store, if my landlord will allow me to put led strips around my window. That should catch people eyes.

soumikcha
08-18-2015, 07:14 PM
Also any of you know about door hanger? Is it better than direct mailing?

David Hunter
08-19-2015, 02:22 PM
Door hanger will be just like direct mailing, without the cost of postage.

I would make it stand out, because you don't want it to blend in with a door that nobody uses, and they never see it.

Just be sure you have a great offer.

Also, how's Cricket different than Republic Wireless?

soumikcha
08-19-2015, 04:47 PM
Door hanger will be just like direct mailing, without the cost of postage.

I would make it stand out, because you don't want it to blend in with a door that nobody uses, and they never see it.

Just be sure you have a great offer.

Also, how's Cricket different than Republic Wireless?

Google cricket wireless and look at their offers and map. Republic runs on wifi mainly. Plus only CDMA. Cricket is gsm, with att network. Plus half the cost of ATT. You can bring in any unlocked or att phones. Doesnt get better than that.

I want to do 20k door hanger. I need to find a company who can do it locally.

David Hunter
08-20-2015, 11:00 AM
Hmmm... interesting. No idea what CDMA or GSM is.

Have you checked Fiverr for people to put up the door hangers? I'm sure you could find some people there.

turboguy
08-20-2015, 11:20 AM
CDMA and GSM are two formats for sending wireless phone signals. AT&T and TMobile use GSM and Verizon and Sprint uses CDMA. A phone that was on AT&T for example can be unlocked and used on TMobile but it can not be used on Sprint or Verizon and the reverse is also true.

soumikcha
08-21-2015, 12:44 AM
CDMA and GSM are two formats for sending wireless phone signals. AT&T and TMobile use GSM and Verizon and Sprint uses CDMA. A phone that was on AT&T for example can be unlocked and used on TMobile but it can not be used on Sprint or Verizon and the reverse is also true.

Now Verizon have the capability to use gsm sim since they have world phone. But sprint still defined as poop or $hit**. Not really other way to say it. haha

soumikcha
08-21-2015, 12:45 AM
Hmmm... interesting. No idea what CDMA or GSM is.

Have you checked Fiverr for people to put up the door hangers? I'm sure you could find some people there.

They design . I need someone to go around and put it around the door knob.

Harold Mansfield
08-21-2015, 10:58 AM
IF you deal in any ways with sprint, I would like to know how bad are they. Cuz I can not stand them. 0 communication skill.

I've been with Sprint for about 15 years. Sure, I've had my issues with them over the years, especially the first 5, but as far as I'm concerned the coverage and technical services have been great. Customer service has gotten better. But seriously...name a cell company that no one complains about.

I pick up my the phone that I want, I make a call, send a text, email or surf the web and it works. I'm happy.

None of them are awesome. Outside of business users, I've really never heard anyone at the consumer level give me an overwhelmingly awesome reason why their company is better than the next. It really seems like ( at the consumer level) it's a decision based on fashion, style, price and perceived status. Some people just want to be on the same network as their friends.

They all offer pretty much the same thing in the U.S. You pick up the phone, you make a call. They all work nationwide, they all have the same issues. One person in the Iowa sticks says Sprint coverage is crap, while another in Washington state says ATT and Verizon suck. None of them are perfect for every one, in every situation.

Right now the big marketing push is data. Where as it used to be unlimited, now they're trying to make us feel good about it NOT being unlimited anymore and con the people still grandfathered into unlimited plans into believing how great the new plans are.

It is so arbitrary at this point, kind of like how long distance service used to be back in the day. After while they were all pretty much just rotating around the exact same offers, just reworded week by week. The one with the better commercials, or coolest gimmick wins this week.

I'm just waiting to see who takes over, merges with or buys T-Mobile because the Monopoly board is out, and one of these companies is going to make a play to win. My money is on either a Mexican or European company.

Harold Mansfield
08-21-2015, 11:16 AM

Thanks to the FCC all phones from here on out can be unlocked and used across different service providers. All LTE networks support GSM. My Note 4 (On Sprint) has a sim card slot, so it's cross compatible. And they're now making phones that are cross compatible to work on networks around the world. Many even had dual sims now.

Yeah you're still screwed with older phones, but the way it used to be is ending pretty fast.

soumikcha
08-22-2015, 12:04 PM
Thanks to the FCC all phones from here on out can be unlocked and used across different service providers. All LTE networks support GSM. My Note 4 (On Sprint) has a sim card slot, so it's cross compatible. And they're now making phones that are cross compatible to work on networks around the world. Many even had dual sims now.

Yeah you're still screwed with older phones, but the way it used to be is ending pretty fast.

I believe last time I check, Sprint is unable to be used gsm in USA. Internation yes but not usa gsm sims. I work with phones, so I know a little better than most consumer.
I had ATT for long time, They had great customer service but high prices. I can never understand how people keep saying they have bad customer service. I guess, I just knew how to talk to people. lol
Even when I delt with verizon and t mobile I had no issue. its sprint who always have issue. They are losing so many customers in the past couple of years. And network or customer service have not improved. Their activation portal for dealers is horrible. Even old cricket had 10 times better system than the current boost/sprint activation portal. They still use pin refill while most nationwide provider moved to automated pin to eliminate the hassle.

Harold Mansfield
08-22-2015, 12:30 PM
There are so many "alternative" companies now that piggy back off of the other networks and have good rates. Boost, Credo, Straight Talk, Republic, Net 10. Metro, and so on. Seems like those would be good to offer considering your demographic. I don't know anything about your business, but would having a store that specializes in the cheaper alternatives and maybe offers 4 or 5 of them be a good way to go rather than just being an affiliate of one of the top 3?

mentrabi
08-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Are your locations in high traffic areas? What type of traffic (foot, cars, etc): The one in Penn Ave( the one inside another store) gets alot of car traveling in the street. I have like 10 flags but have not been as effective as I liked
The one in Minnesota ave, it gets alot of foot and cars traveling around it. I make more sell here with having 4 times the competition compare to my Penn ave store with only one cell phone store to compete with. I use flag here as well and they have been more effective but lately they were vandalized twice with $500 worth of damage.

Your marketing needs to get people's attention and then provide a call to action IE they need to stop what they are doing and go into your store. I need to figure out a way to make more creative flags but they are very expensive

What are some ways to get people's attention in your neighborhood? How can you stand out and be different? I thought it will help with providing great customer service, but my customers might be loyal to us but usually do not share the news with others. So they would tell other customer in line to go somewhere else so they can get service first. Very frustrating.

If all the other businesses around you are employing the same techniques as you (banners, posters, flags, etc) you'll blend in. I am the only one in both store with the most flag . at Minn ave, I gave the landlord to put a permanent post for each store to have a flag. Only three other stores uses them and I use like 8 of them

Finally, once you get their attention you need to get them to come into your store. The only way I'm going into a cell phone store is if I need a new cell phone or accessory, other wise I'm not going. Unless you give me a reason to. Once in, though, you have to close the sale. When people are interested in the phone, everybody seems to think they do not need to play for the plan,. Only the phone is free, not plan and tax and fees

Besides free cell phones, what else can you give away that will get the potential clients to come into your store? Is there a food / drink that will make them stop and come in? I have alot of things, all kind of bill pay, drinks( will discontinue, people stealing all the time),Alot of accessories for phone, paraphernalia ( you would think that will sell but nope, they can not afford it). All they want is free stuff.

That's interesting but not surprising that the higher competition store gets more business. With other competitors around, customers are more likely to be shopping for cell phones as they have choices in one place.

Good that you have the flags and other signage to create the awareness the hard part is getting people to stop driving and come into your shop.

Also, because you're located in a lower income area, funds for your client base are few and probably hard to come by. The clients probably have no issue spending money on gas, consumables and other things that are necessary for their lifestyle. Are cell phones necessary for their lifestyle? If they aren't, you have a harder hill to climb. The trick is to use your flags, your customer service and signage to create a story that invokes the necessity of owning a cell phone.

Cell phones could be considered a luxury item in many areas even today, so when funds are tight it could be one of the first things to be cut (or not considered for purchase). Cars could be considered a luxury as well, but if you have on gas becomes a necessity.

I don't know the local area so it would be hard to shoot more ideas to you on how to connect with the clientele.

soumikcha
08-23-2015, 12:50 AM
Most of them are taken, At my Minn ave location, I had cricket and metro and boost but all were taken away from me because someone opened a exclusive store withtin 1 mile. There is 4 wireless store within 1.5 miles of that store. Yet I am doing very good there having no true brand. Those provider you named are called MVNO and they do not offer phone promo, only plans. So its difficult to sell them. I am almost closing a deal with boost to sell it at that location. I rather focus on one provider than multiple. Its easier say boost is the best instead of trying to show someone multiple provider and end up confusing them.

Harold Mansfield
08-23-2015, 12:16 PM
Most of them are taken, At my Minn ave location, I had cricket and metro and boost but all were taken away from me because someone opened a exclusive store withtin 1 mile. There is 4 wireless store within 1.5 miles of that store. Yet I am doing very good there having no true brand. Those provider you named are called MVNO and they do not offer phone promo, only plans. So its difficult to sell them. I am almost closing a deal with boost to sell it at that location. I rather focus on one provider than multiple. Its easier say boost is the best instead of trying to show someone multiple provider and end up confusing them.
Makes sense. I always wondered how all of that worked and how much of a pain it would be to deal with the individual companies.

soumikcha
08-24-2015, 10:27 PM
Makes sense. I always wondered how all of that worked and how much of a pain it would be to deal with the individual companies.

Its a pain. I went and seen a gentleman who volunteers at score.org. He actually owned a shoe company next block from me at minn ave. His company was public and millions. But I asked if it was worth the stress since I know How difficult it was in those area. ANd he said no...it took probably few years from his life.

Now imagine having a business in that area and selling multiple things. lol ....Yes its alot more profitable than other more safer area but I do not think the stress and risk worth it.

I think i am one of the few people who giving up making millions of money just to have a better life style. I just hope I can atleast make 100k yearly annually. lol

webfanatic
09-23-2015, 06:29 PM
People in the hood are on social media. I suggest you start a Facebook group on that city or area and invite local people. Also put out flyers in local establishments in that area. Get someone on a street corner to hold out a big sign that says "free phone." Get a family member to do it and then pay someone hourly to do hold out the sign once you stat getting business. We have people all the time where I live hold out signs for all kinds of businesses.

jawal
10-01-2015, 03:07 AM
Hello! what ever area you are in that is not an issue. Effective marketing can give good sales and improvement.

1. Your marketing method should be very unique.
2. Use latest technologies like SMS marketing, Email marketing
3. Grab the attention of your customers by giving offers.

I hope you are doing all these still if you didn't try then don't waste time just do it.

All the best.