PDA

View Full Version : How to find distributors for new product ?

borohr
09-02-2015, 10:15 AM
I have started small white phenyl making industry. But, now, I am getting hard to find distributors for my new product. I have no idea how to find distributors.

Harold Mansfield
09-02-2015, 11:17 AM
I have started small white phenyl making industry. But, now, I am getting hard to find distributors for my new product. I have no idea how to find distributors.
What have you tried so far? Have you contacted or called any one in this industry at all? If so what did they say?

I'm not understanding the issue.
Is it that no one distributes this product, or that you don't know how to look for them?

billbenson
09-02-2015, 12:51 PM
You want them to come to you. In today’s market, I would put up a really good product website and wait for them to call. People and companies are always looking for a good product to sell. You just have to figure out a way to put the two together. You could go to CJ but that isn't my recommendation.

borohr
09-03-2015, 03:04 PM
What have you tried so far? Have you contacted or called any one in this industry at all? If so what did they say?

I'm not understanding the issue.
Is it that no one distributes this product, or that you don't know how to look for them?

I don't know how to look for them.

Fulcrum
09-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Rather than using distributors, why not find the end user and sell direct to them?

mentrabi
09-22-2015, 05:44 AM
If you want to go through distributors and not direct to end user, then you have to find out who the end users are going to to get similar product. Then, research those businesses to find out who their sources (distributors) are and work your way in that way. Great way to build contacts, and do a test on your product as well. Buyers in distributors like to find the next new thing and be first to market. Not simply launching the product but flooding the market and owning the demand with the launch. If your product can do that, it won't take you long to secure some nice PO's.

SZ Alliance
07-06-2016, 01:07 PM
Your idea is quite good in the fact that you are looking for distributors. Most people go and find direct consumers or retail shops. This process in itself is tedious and tiring. Most retail stores will only store a certain amount of products on their shelves, on consignment, especially if the product is new to market.

You have to ask yourself, is your product different than those already out on the market. Most distributors take on your product for different reasons. The most common reasons are: 1. The turnover rate, 2. The overall margin, 3. Your product supplements the existing products that they are selling

If you have a high turnover rate, high margin to offer the distributors and its unique, then its quite easy for them to take you up. Also you can use B2B lead generation companies to help you find the contacts of distributors, but you will need to pay per lead.

Also remember that the distributors are essentially marketing your product, so you will probably have to supply the support material, promotional material and training etc

beeline_Chris
11-22-2016, 05:28 PM
Have you tried using Hoovers? It can be a good platform for researching and finding distributors in your niche. You can then contact them via phone or mail.

Another way, and I argue, more powerful, is to find a trade show in your niche or trade shows where your product fits well. Have a booth, and have someone else walk the floor. When you get the exhibitor list, contact every single possible distributor in advance and try to set up some meetings. Even if you can't nail down a time, if you've spoken to the distributors in advance then when you walk up to their booth you can say, "Hey John Doe, we spoke on the phone. We weren't able to set up a meeting, but I thought I'd come by and see your booth."

Once you've established your distributors, you need to keep what's called 'mindshare' - you have to keep your product in the front of their mind; whether you send them emails 1-4x month, mailings, or hold events, the more mindshare you have, the easier you make the distributor's job, the harder they will work to move your product.