PDA

View Full Version : Looking for basic order entry software

Adamch009
09-17-2015, 01:56 PM
We sell our product directly to wholesalers and distributors. Currently our clients send us a PO that we enter into a spreadsheet to fulfill. I'd like to find existing software that would allow us to enter an order and accomplish the following.

-Create a unique order number for each entry
-Add notes/special instructions
-Allow status updates (placed, production, shipped, invoiced and paid)
-Export basic reports (units sold, date range, etc)

We only have 4 products to choose from so the platform can be fairly basic. All of the software that I've come across is much more robust than what we would need. Hiring a developer is an option but I was thinking that something like this would most likely already exist. Any suggestions that might be worth looking at?

Thank you

Harold Mansfield
09-17-2015, 02:46 PM
We sell our product directly to wholesalers and distributors. Currently our clients send us a PO that we enter into a spreadsheet to fulfill. I'd like to find existing software that would allow us to enter an order and accomplish the following.

We only have 4 products to choose from so the platform can be fairly basic. All of the software that I've come across is much more robust than what we would need. Hiring a developer is an option but I was thinking that something like this would most likely already exist. Any suggestions that might be worth looking at?

Thank you

Just because out of the box solutions have more features than you need, doesn't mean you need to use all of them. If it has the basic functions already by default seems to me the problem is solved.

Wouldn't hiring a developer be more costly than just using (for instance) Quickbooks?
Or is your problem that you need something very, very simple to avoid the employee learning curve?

Adamch009
09-21-2015, 09:29 AM
Thank you for your reply. The issue is that the software we've looked at, due to all of the features, would be 9-10K when the software we need shouldn't be more than $500. If spending 10k, it would be in our best interest to put that towards developing something specific to our company.
Quickbooks is good for backend invoicing but does not provide what we are looking for when entering the order. The most important function we are looking for is entering the order and having a unique order # assigned automatically in order to maintain/track order progress, rather than doing so manually and tracking on a spreadsheet.

Fulcrum
09-21-2015, 06:39 PM
Check out Accountedge. I think it can do what you want.

Pearce Services
12-18-2015, 06:25 AM
Take a look at Microsoft Access, it is part of the MS Office package, This is basically a spreadsheet on steroids, you can use "autonumber" feature for numbering, and can create any report you want just by creating relationships between field during set up. There is a free 7 hour long tutorial on you-tube that will put you in charge of your own data base. When complete, your order entry will populate your invoices as well. Or just go with Quickbooks, which is not as customizable, but is off the shelf and easy to learn.

Good Luck Kevin

MyITGuy
12-18-2015, 11:07 AM

Thank you

What do you use for an accounting package? For something this easy, the software you use now should easily be able to account for it.

Some other options to consider that would be helpful for us to know:
How many employees would be entering orders?
Would clients need access to a web-based platform to place/enter orders?