PDA

View Full Version : Google adwords

Mrtrash
09-29-2015, 03:18 PM
Has any one tried google adwords ? And how did it work for them ?

Harold Mansfield
09-29-2015, 03:40 PM
I have on many occasions. it really depends on the competition and how much you can afford to spend. At this stage in the game you will not get any benefit if there's a lot of competition and your budget is low.

Back in the day you used to be able to bid on any term you wanted and shoot for controlling low volume searches and build up. Today Google won't let you do that. If it's a low volume word or phrase you can't even bid on it or place ads targeting it.

IMO, having low priced ads display around the Google display network ( not at the top or side of the serps) is a waste of time because you have no idea where they are, and since most ads aren't even seen or are ignored anyway...you're just throwing free money at Google for nothing. Especially now with so much mobile and voice search...and ad blockers.

That's just my opinion.

However if you have the budget, and a strategy, it can work well. Or if you have a long term, brand building strategy and DO want display ads all over the web it can also work well.

Mrtrash
09-29-2015, 05:02 PM
I have on many occasions. it really depends on the competition and how much you can afford to spend. At this stage in the game you will not get any benefit if there's a lot of competition and your budget is low.

Back in the day you used to be able to bid on any term you wanted and shoot for controlling low volume searches and build up. Today Google won't let you do that. If it's a low volume word or phrase you can't even bid on it or place ads targeting it.

IMO, having low priced ads display around the Google display network ( not at the top or side of the serps) is a waste of time because you have no idea where they are, and since most ads aren't even seen or are ignored anyway...you're just throwing free money at Google for nothing. Especially now with so much mobile and voice search...and ad blockers.

That's just my opinion.

However if you have the budget and a long term strategy, it can work well.
Thank you ! Im thinking of also making a linkden account and connecting to businesses in my area that way.

Harold Mansfield
09-29-2015, 05:13 PM
Thank you ! Im thinking of also making a linkden account and connecting to businesses in my area that way.

You may do well with a ground game, direct mail advertising, sales calls, and local ads. You're local. The internet is awesome, but as a local business looking for local customers don't rely solely on the web. Shake some hands.

Mrtrash
09-29-2015, 05:34 PM
You may do well with a ground game, direct mail advertising, sales calls, and local ads. You're local. The internet is awesome, but as a local business looking for local customers don't rely solely on the web. Shake some hands.

Thanks harold will do!

dewalds86
09-30-2015, 10:36 AM

That's just my opinion.

However if you have the budget, and a strategy, it can work well. Or if you have a long term, brand building strategy and DO want display ads all over the web it can also work well.

Adwords can be very expensive if you dont know what you are doing.

The are tips and tricks to get a high click through rate and low cost per click. I ran a campaign for a local locksmith and targeted different areas in the City. With Adwords quality landing pages and relevant ads are the key. When a customer clicks on the ad they immediately want to be on a page with the information they searched for.

Good keyword research and great ad copy is also essential. It is possible to find high search volume words that dont cost an arm and a leg. Also A/B split testing with ads are viral.

Its simple, the better quality landing pages you have and the better quality keywords you use together with high click through rate the less you pay.

When you use keywords that get a quality score of 10 then you pay 50% less.

ericw
09-30-2015, 01:27 PM
Google Adwords is awesome in that you can target way more specifically than older forms of advertising you may be used to. Only targeting potential customers that are highly relevant, and tailoring messages to those subgroups specifically, means you can get very high ROIs. You can set up a simple campaign yourself, but a professional, actively managed campaign will way outperform any campaign set up by someone who's only partially informed and not very dedicated to it. Of course, I do run an agency that manages PPC campaigns, so I may be a bit biased. :)

vista
10-01-2015, 01:53 PM
We have a google places and do adwords. I can tell you first hand that they do help. But don't forget about all the
other avenues mentioned above (keep your ground game going) I will tell you this: DON'T DEPEND ON GOOGLE,
our rankings even within google places and google plus change all the time and will reflect in the calls and sales you receive.
Just dont put all your eggs in one basket and you should be ok ps dont forget about bing/yahoo ads

Harold Mansfield
10-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Just dont put all your eggs in one basket...
Sound advice to everyone. Don't get so focused on one thing or one way for your marketing or advertising that you lose focus and miss all of the other opportunities out there.
It's a balanced attack from many different directions.

kb24
10-04-2015, 12:46 PM
Keep in mind there is also bing ads plus other paid traffic methods like media buys

Mrtrash
10-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Keep in mind there is also bing ads plus other paid traffic methods like media buys
Thank you i mainly want to advertise to businesses in my area though. I feel pop up ads would be a waste

99social
10-29-2015, 09:39 PM
Don't just throw your money at Google, especially if you don't know exactly what you're doing. I find Facebook ads can be really targeted and through forum posting of local groups to your area, you can start to pull in quite a bit of traffic.

Mrtrash
10-30-2015, 02:43 PM
Don't just throw your money at Google, especially if you don't know exactly what you're doing. I find Facebook ads can be really targeted and through forum posting of local groups to your area, you can start to pull in quite a bit of traffic. hey 99 i want to target businesses in my area . Does fb adds target your area you want to search or like the whole country ? I want to be able to target a specific area. Appreciate your wisdom