PDA

View Full Version : Event planning

Avia
10-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Hey am planning to start an event planning business and am confused on the name to settle for. I have three ideas, let me know which one captivates you most;
1. Mellow Shindigs
2. Mellow Fests'
3. Mellow Shindies

I love the name mellow as it represents something smooth or rather flawless. Suggestions are most welcome.

vangogh
10-05-2015, 04:35 PM
My initial reaction was to like Mellow Shindigs the best. I'm not sure why. One thing I'd ask is are you sure about the word mellow. The reason I ask is when I think shindig, fest, etc. I tend not to think mellow. I think more of a lively party. I wonder if the names are sending a mixed signal about what to expect. I don't think of flawless when I think mellow. Smooth applies, but I usually think quiet and laid back, which tends to be the opposite of what I think about events.

David Hunter
10-05-2015, 05:44 PM
None of them really strike a cord with me.

What makes you different from all the other event planning companies?

mentrabi
10-05-2015, 06:15 PM
Why don't you start a facebook ad campaign and test which name gets the most hits there? Much wider and quicker results. None of those 3 stand out for me, but i'm not in that space.

tallen
10-06-2015, 05:15 AM
I agree with Vangogh that mellow might not be the right word -- to me it signals laid back, easy going, quiet, not very excitable. Smooth I get, but flawless? No. Look "Mellow" up in a thesaurus and see if the associated words carry the connotation that you are looking for. Indeed, maybe "mellow" events are what sets you apart from other event planning companies (to answer David Hunter), but I think you might have your work cut out for you to market yourself and build that brand.

As to the second part, "Shindigs" seems pretty informal but again maybe that's what you are after, but "Shindies" carries that to an extreme. Fests just doesn't go with Mellow.

Have you given thought to exactly what types of events you would specialize in (e.g. weddings vs. corporate picnics vs. music festivals)? Maybe defining the nature and size of the events you hope to deal with would help you. Who is your market? Who would be looking for your services? What would they be looking for?

Harold Mansfield
10-06-2015, 09:55 AM
Neither actually sounds good to me. I agree with Tallen that the word "Mellow" doesn't exactly make me want to pick up the phone and call you.

You say that YOU associate "Mellow" with smooth and flawless. But outside of wine or bourbon most people associate it with laid back, and taking it easy.

True enough with a big enough budget you can brand anything. But starting in the hole with a name that you have to keep explaining, or spend a lot of time redefining a meaning will not help you hit the ground running.

Naming a business is hard and most people tend to want steer towards what they personally think is cool, rather than what people will respond to and is good for their marketing. Yes, it's your business, but everything you do is about them....your customer or target audience. If it doesn't make sense to them or expresses the wrong idea, then your name is going to be a hindrance.

Avia
10-06-2015, 09:58 AM
Thank you all for your kind responses.
When thinking of mellow for me it would be planning a smooth event for someone and taking all the stress away from them. I take up the task, they sit back and get ready to enjoy their event without worrying. My primary target market is weddings and social events and probably expand to corporate events in the future. the name I wanted first was mellow shindigs but I think I will have to go back to the drawing board. Suggestions would also be welcome.

CCAdamson
10-06-2015, 10:11 AM
As others have said, mellow probably isn't the best word here. I understand your thought process, you want the customer to be able to "mellow out" and let you do the work. However having mellow in the name implies that you are going to organize a mellow (smooth, warm, relaxed) event. Maybe that is your intention to do that but the name would indicate it would be more of a laid back house party than a wedding.

Do you want the name to focus on what you do for your client (as it does now) or do you want it to focus on what you bring to the client?

I have never heard the term shindies before. That may be just me but I would stick to something a little more universally known.

El Chico Web
10-06-2015, 08:08 PM
Create a poll with your 3 name ideas and share it with the people you know. You can use social medias to share your poll. Then, you'll have a good advice from people you know and probably their help for your business venture.

99social
10-20-2015, 11:38 PM
When thinking of mellow for me it would be planning a smooth event for someone and taking all the stress away from them. I take up the task, they sit back and get ready to enjoy their event without worrying. My primary target market is weddings and social events and probably expand to corporate events in the future. the name I wanted first was mellow shindigs but I think I will have to go back to the drawing board. Suggestions would also be welcome.

I don't think the word 'mellow' would appeal to brides. I think picking name that will help you stand out would be more beneficial. You can communicate the stress-free aspect of your planning through your branding and social media presence.

Harold Mansfield
10-21-2015, 10:31 AM

I understand your line of thinking. Maybe you should use that terminology in your slogan or tag line rather than the name. I think it communicates better that way. It's hard to communicated an idea with just one or 2 words, and you don't want a name that's limiting should you grow down the line.