PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Find A Business Partner?

Owen
11-13-2015, 06:12 PM
Hello fellow business people! http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/runescape/images/2/22/Wave_smiley.gif/revision/latest?cb=20090719103249

Before I ask what I need to ask let me give you a summary on why I'm asking this: (hehe)

Ever since Stacktron failed (R.I.P https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/CryBaby.gif) I have been developing a new company...secretively ;)

Basically, it's an online marketplace for businesses. The concept and everything behind it is very strong and could do quite well, but I have one issue. I need a business partner. I seriously cannot stand working alone, on top of that, being 16, it's incredibly more difficult financially and legally to start a company. That's why I'm here.

My question is: how would I go about finding a business partner here in good ol' Maine? There isn't much business "gatherings" or events here as it is quite boring. I was thinking about trying LinkedIn to go about something like this, but I have no idea who I would approach or how I would do so. Also, finding someone here that would be interested is also difficult as most people here are incredibly naive as how I am at business and are too self centered to actually listen, and most are hicks and have no idea how a business works. Ugh Maine.

As you can tell I'm stuck. What should I do?

Fulcrum
11-13-2015, 06:38 PM
So you want to start another Alibaba type of business?

Owen
11-13-2015, 06:48 PM
So you want to start another Alibaba type of business?

Yes and no. It's quite different in a lot of ways.

Fulcrum
11-13-2015, 07:21 PM
What do you want this partner to do?
What does this partner need to bring to the table?

Owen
11-13-2015, 08:51 PM
What do you want this partner to do?
What does this partner need to bring to the table?

Experience. I just want someone who knows what they're doing and can possibly help finance the company until other people (hopefully) invest. Most of the money right now is just paying for: server fees (about $20 a month for cloud), domain ($9.99 a year), developers ($100 - $400), front-end designers ($100 or so), SEO ($99 a year or so), and advertising. I have money to cover (most) of what is already there. If someone can bring expertise, experience, and other skills to the table and actually wants to make something big, that's what I want. Oh, and someone incredibly ambitious and fun to be around would be nice :)

Someone locally is 100% a preference. I don't know anyone here that lives by me, though, the only member I can think of is Tallen...

Harold Mansfield
11-14-2015, 06:31 PM
Experience. I just want someone who knows what they're doing and can possibly help finance the company until other people (hopefully) invest. Most of the money right now is just paying for: server fees (about $20 a month for cloud), domain ($9.99 a year), developers ($100 - $400), front-end designers ($100 or so), SEO ($99 a year or so), and advertising. I have money to cover (most) of what is already there. If someone can bring expertise, experience, and other skills to the table and actually wants to make something big, that's what I want. Oh, and someone incredibly ambitious and fun to be around would be nice :)

Someone locally is 100% a preference. I don't know anyone here that lives by me, though, the only member I can think of is Tallen...

If they're bringing the experience, expertise and money to the table, why do they need you?

vangogh
11-15-2015, 03:30 PM
Owen, first let me say, I think it's great you're starting again after the first business didn't go so well. Keep that attitude. If this one doesn't work try again with another and keep learning from the ones that don't succeed. It's possible the first 20 ideas you have don't go anywhere, but you learn everything you need to know to turn the 21st idea into a huge success.

As far finding a partner, I have to agree with Harold. Your partner won't need you based on what you're hoping your partner will bring. I have a better idea for you. Most of the things you need aren't expensive. A domain is $10-$15/year and I'm guessing you can come up with that money. If you can't afford hosting sign up for WordPress.com or Squarespace or similar. Maybe doing so means you wouldn't be able to work the specific business you were thinking about, but that's ok. Start a different one based on the specific constraints you have.

Where design, development, and seo/marketing are concerned, those are all things you can learn. With design and development you can easily find themes and templates so you won't have to build a site and then you can learn starting with whichever theme or template you choose. Marketing/SEO are things you should really try yourself at first just to understand them. You're going to need to market whatever business you have throughout the life of that business. Learning them will will be something you can use on this business, the next one, or the one after that.

Lots of us here design, develop, and market and we'll be happy to help with questions too.

Instead of thinking about this in terms of how much money you need to hire someone, why not see it as how much time you need to learn the skills? Long term it'll serve you much better to learn how to do these things now than it will be to find a partner to help finance them.

Owen
11-15-2015, 05:54 PM
Owen, first let me say, I think it's great you're starting again after the first business didn't go so well. Keep that attitude. If this one doesn't work try again with another and keep learning from the ones that don't succeed. It's possible the first 20 ideas you have don't go anywhere, but you learn everything you need to know to turn the 21st idea into a huge success.

As far finding a partner, I have to agree with Harold. Your partner won't need you based on what you're hoping your partner will bring. I have a better idea for you. Most of the things you need aren't expensive. A domain is $10-$15/year and I'm guessing you can come up with that money. If you can't afford hosting sign up for WordPress.com or Squarespace or similar. Maybe doing so means you wouldn't be able to work the specific business you were thinking about, but that's ok. Start a different one based on the specific constraints you have.

Where design, development, and seo/marketing are concerned, those are all things you can learn. With design and development you can easily find themes and templates so you won't have to build a site and then you can learn starting with whichever theme or template you choose. Marketing/SEO are things you should really try yourself at first just to understand them. You're going to need to market whatever business you have throughout the life of that business. Learning them will will be something you can use on this business, the next one, or the one after that.

Lots of us here design, develop, and market and we'll be happy to help with questions too.

Instead of thinking about this in terms of how much money you need to hire someone, why not see it as how much time you need to learn the skills? Long term it'll serve you much better to learn how to do these things now than it will be to find a partner to help finance them.

Good point. That's the issue, I have this concept and an already made website (it just has to have some finishing touches). I am a professional web designer, I work with a few companies. I know HTML5, CSS3, and some PHP which is helping significantly. I'm hoping I can patent the idea as it is very unique.

Harold Mansfield
11-16-2015, 12:33 PM
I agree with VG. I do think it's great that you have the entrepreneur bug so young and that you are here engaging, learning and asking questions. That's awesome.

But you also are in a unique position being so young that many of the things that you're looking for others to bring or help with, you have time to learn for yourself before you're even a legal adult.

You really should take advantage of that. The more you can do yourself, but better positioned you'll be to execute your ideas and manage them and other people. And the more you learn, the more you understand.

At 16 I wouldn't be focused on finding a partner ( more than likely an adult). I'd be more focused on learning how to execute your ideas on your own or with as much knowledge as possible. Right now you don't bring enough to the table that would make you an attractive partner to anyone who has the money to just hire someone just like you, and they don't have to deal with the fact that they're a minor.

Owen
11-19-2015, 06:05 PM
I agree with VG. I do think it's great that you have the entrepreneur bug so young and that you are here engaging, learning and asking questions. That's awesome.

But you also are in a unique position being so young that many of the things that you're looking for others to bring or help with, you have time to learn for yourself before you're even a legal adult.

You really should take advantage of that. The more you can do yourself, but better positioned you'll be to execute your ideas and management them and other people. And the more you learn, the more you understand.

At 16 I wouldn't be focused on finding a partner ( more than likely an adult). I'd be more focused on learning how to execute your ideas on your own or with as much knowledge as possible. Right now you don't bring enough to the table that would make you an attractive partner to anyone who has the money to just hire someone just like you, and they don't have to deal with the fact that they're a minor.

I've been doing exactly that for almost 6 years. I know how to execute it, the issue is I am underage. There's a lot I would like to do that I can't right now.

Harold Mansfield
11-19-2015, 06:11 PM
I've been doing exactly that for almost 6 years. I know how to execute it, the issue is I am underage. There's a lot I would like to do that I can't right now.

So keep learning, get some certifications, and launch a few ideas that you can do yourself without anyone's help..if for nothing else, the experience. So that when you are an adult and can do what you want legally without needing someone to sign the paperwork for you, you'll be smarter and better prepared than you are now.

None of us knows everything. You have all of this time. Trust me, take some programming classes. Finish a course. It will serve you well.

Owen
11-19-2015, 06:14 PM
So keep learning, get some certifications, and launch a few ideas that you can do yourself without anyone's help..if for nothing else, the experience. So that when you are an adult and can do what you want legally without needing someone to sign the paperwork for you, you'll be smarter and better prepared than you are now.

None of us knows everything. You have all of this time. Trust me, take some programming classes. Finish a course. It will serve you well.

The thing is, I do technology now since it's what I can legally do. I would love to grow a real estate / holding company when I'm of the majority. Flip and resell / rent out property. You know?

Harold Mansfield
11-20-2015, 12:21 PM
The thing is, I do technology now since it's what I can legally do. I would love to grow a real estate / holding company when I'm of the majority. Flip and resell / rent out property. You know?

Crawl before you can walk. Right now your dreams are larger than your ability and resources and you can't imagine the steps to take on the way. You just want to be there. So instead of learning how to do it for yourself, you want to partner with someone who brings all of the tools and resources to the table. Trust me when I say that this will only lead to you being disappointed or taken advantage of over and over again, and jumping from one thing to the next.

I'm giving you sound advice here. You are in position to really set yourself up with the tools and knowledge that you need to enter the next stage of your life. Don't waste it.
It's great that you are working now, however you keep mentioning things that you need other people to do because you don't have the skills or knowledge...what I'm telling you is stop resting on what little you do know and hoping to find the rest somewhere, and start learning the things you need to know so that you depend on others as little as possible.

Set yourself up to be the person that other people need, not the one who needs other people. You'll attract better partnerships, get asked to be involved in better projects, and will demand far better financial incentives. Merely having a lot of ideas doesn't magically turn into being a principle member of any team or project. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Everyone has them. Without the skills to create and execute them, or the money to back it, no one is going to let you in for a significant share of anything.

Owen
11-22-2015, 10:12 PM
Crawl before you can walk. Right now your dreams are larger than your ability and resources and you can't imagine the steps to take on the way. You just want to be there. So instead of learning how to do it for yourself, you want to partner with someone who brings all of the tools and resources to the table. Trust me when I say that this will only lead to you being disappointed or taken advantage of over and over again, and jumping from one thing to the next.

I'm giving you sound advice here. You are in position to really set yourself up with the tools and knowledge that you need to enter the next stage of your life. Don't waste it.
It's great that you are working now, however you keep mentioning things that you need other people to do because you don't have the skills or knowledge...what I'm telling you is stop resting on what little you do know and hoping to find the rest somewhere, and start learning the things you need to know so that you depend on others as little as possible.

Set yourself up to be the person that other people need, not the one who needs other people. You'll attract better partnerships, get asked to be involved in better projects, and will demand far better financial incentives. Merely having a lot of ideas doesn't magically turn into being a principle member of any team or project. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Everyone has them. Without the skills to create and execute them, or the money to back it, no one is going to let you in for a significant share of anything.

You're amazing lol. What type of viable certifications could I get in stock, real estate, business, etc. at 16 that could be put on a resume?

Harold Mansfield
11-23-2015, 12:14 PM
You're amazing lol. What type of viable certifications could I get in stock, real estate, business, etc. at 16 that could be put on a resume?
You're not going to be 16 forever. You're not even going to be 16 next year. There's only so much you can do at this exact moment, at this age. Prepare for the future. Next year. When you're 20. When you're 25.

Where do you want to be then? Still talking about what you can't do because you're only 25, or ready to take on the world with skills and knowledge that will help you accomplish your dreams? No one "Just makes it" in business. It's hard work, takes time, and for most it takes YEARS. Don't waste those years crippled in limbo because you want it all today. It's never going to happen like that and you'll just keep lurching from one thing to the next.

This is the time where you should be learning, taking classes, and building your resume with skills. Doesn't mean you can't do stuff on the side, but think bigger than right now. You need to be able to think about tomorrow. It gets here faster than you think.

Owen
11-23-2015, 03:15 PM
You're not going to be 16 forever. You're not even going to be 16 next year. There's only so much you can do at this exact moment, at this age. Prepare for the future. Next year. When you're 20. When you're 25.

Where do you want to be then? Still talking about what you can't do because you're only 25, or ready to take on the world with skills and knowledge that will help you accomplish your dreams? No one "Just makes it" in business. It's hard work, takes time, and for most it takes YEARS. Don't waste those years crippled in limbo because you want it all today. It's never going to happen like that and you'll just keep lurching from one thing to the next.

This is the time where you should be learning, taking classes, and building your resume with skills. Doesn't mean you can't do stuff on the side, but think bigger than right now. You need to be able to think about tomorrow. It gets here faster than you think.

Let's hope so. Waiting on this 18 thing is getting old..

stevenfies
11-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Owen, if nothing else you should realize you're many steps ahead of most people. I didn't start my first real business until earlier this year at age 28. Many don't get started until even later in life. Sometimes I wish I would've had the mentality I have now at your age - more specifically, I wish I would've started sooner.

Even if you don't officially start anything until you're 18, you'll be 10 years ahead of where I was and certainly ahead of most people. If you keep up your attitude and commitment, you'll get there in no time. Try not to worry too much about your age at this point, and focus more on planning for how you're going to leap into action the moment you turn 18. I'm sure you'll do great.

Fulcrum
11-23-2015, 04:14 PM

You could get a summer job doing construction, property maintenance, or anything real estate related. Odds are you won't make more than minimum wage doing it, but the skills gained will be priceless.

Owen
11-23-2015, 06:06 PM
You could get a summer job doing construction, property maintenance, or anything real estate related. Odds are you won't make more than minimum wage doing it, but the skills gained will be priceless.

Too late now lol, let's hope the local construction has some winter openings http://i45.tinypic.com/3328qpv.gif