PDA

View Full Version : Strategic Partnerships -- how to create your own networking group?

Amber
12-07-2015, 05:20 PM
I'm not sure where this thread should go...

Anyway, I'm sure a few of you go to or have tried networking groups. Networking has been fun and I've met a lot of interesting people. However many of the businesses represented are not related to my industry. The women's groups I go to have businesses related to beauty products, health advising, insurance, travel sales, etc. Mary Kay is great, but I feel I would be more useful to the group if members had products or services that would benefit pet owners.

My services are pet-related. It would be wonderful to know other professionals in my line of work to bounce ideas off of and share referrals. So I'm interested in starting my own networking group, much like Steve B did here http://www.small-business-forum.net/traditional-marketing/114-focused-networking.html

The only problem is I have no idea how to start. I don't know anyone in a pet-related industry and new to business. I put an ad in my city's Craigslist community section but that's all I can think of. Does anyone have experience in creating your own networking group? How did/would you start?

Any input would be very appreciated :)

David Hunter
12-07-2015, 06:51 PM
Hey Amber,

Have you tried looking on MeetUp.com? If they don't have what you're looking for you could always start a group there and invite other pet-related businesses to join.

Heck, you could also start an online group on Facebook and start invited people to join who have pet businesses. Then you could bounce ideas with anyone around the world.

Amber
12-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Hey David. Thanks for the suggestions. I have thought about MeetUp but there is a $72 annual fee I think, and not guaranteed that you will get enough members or meet who you want to meet.

I also thought about Linkedin (not a member) and Facebook group but then decided maybe I should seek other professionals out instead. I have a small personal network though....not many friends or family are helpful in finding others to connect with.

I went through a local pet business directory and searched for companies that looked new----i.e. didn't have a site or their social media following was low. I'm thinking about "pitching" to them through email asking if they would be interested in joining a networking group to boost their business. Is this a good idea?

tallen
12-08-2015, 06:28 AM
Certainly there are going to be national trade associations related to your industry, e.g. The American Pet Products Association -- http://www.americanpetproducts.org/ and likely others, which would be one way to make connections with others in the industry.

But it sounds like you are interested in a more locally focused group? Maybe there is a state or regional association related to your industry as well. Again, I would expect these to be mainly focused on pet stores and pet supply stores, but you might look into veterinarian associations, humane societies and animal rescue groups, kennels, trainers and groomers, etc..

On the local networking front, though, you also want to think about non-pet-related businesses that could refer business to you. What businesses in your area would be serving clients who might need pet sitting services? For example, spa resorts, wedding planners, hotels all come to mind.

David Hunter
12-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Definitely go for it! And, if they don't respond by email then call them or stop on into their business and ask them.

Oooo... Good one, Tallen... vets and rescues!

Harold Mansfield
12-08-2015, 04:40 PM
I have a buddy who has a pet related business. He did the networking thing for a while and it only served to introduce him to other small business people who were also networking hoping to get customers.

Then he started getting involved in every pet related event in town. Radio station promos. Dog in the park events. Pet adoption drives and so on. He went all in with a nice set up (which most times is just a table under a tent with his banner and some swag), giving away pet treats, and his wife even dresses up in the dog mascot uniform. His leads and business increased dramatically including getting quite a few long term accounts with condo and apartment complexes.

IMO networking is great of you're looking to do business with other local business people, but just remember that's why they are there too. If you want to get in front of pet owners go directly at them.

Amber
12-08-2015, 11:00 PM
Thanks all! I contacted another startup like me, but in a complimentary business. My intent is to get some support though I understand, like you said Harold, that people looking to network are looking for customers.

I guess I should really be focusing on more advertising. Radio and events are great ideas. I just need more money. I've only had a few customers so far.

Harold Mansfield
12-08-2015, 11:09 PM
Thanks all! I contacted another startup like me, but in a complimentary business. My intent is to get some support though I understand, like you said Harold, that people looking to network are looking for customers.

I guess I should really be focusing on more advertising. Radio and events are great ideas. I just need more money. I've only had a few customers so far.

Partnerships and collaborations are great. 2 businesses that provide complimentary services can help each other.
You don't always need money to advertise. Sometimes you can give it away as part of someone elses promotion and in turn get free promotion.
It may be hard to find something specific to your services, but then again maybe someone wouldn't think to offer it as part of a promotion until someone some one let them know that it was possible.

Standard giveaways are always trips usually donated or discounted heavily by some travel agency or company for the free advertising,
I'm sure some of those winners must have pets.