PDA

View Full Version : Need A Name :(

Owen
12-27-2015, 09:43 PM
I need a name for the super duper new startup. I want to make it unique, like Alibaba or Amazon. Doesn't really have much to do with the site itself, it's just brandable. Any ideas?

stephanj54
12-28-2015, 11:08 AM
That's sometimes the hardest part....

Harold Mansfield
12-28-2015, 12:14 PM
I need a name for the super duper new startup. I want to make it unique, like Alibaba or Amazon. Doesn't really have much to do with the site itself, it's just brandable. Any ideas?

Good one worders are pretty much gone. Definitely gone in .com, and .net,. I'd say expand your options by considering some of the newer extensions out there or one of the existing CCTLD's that companies are using such as .it ( CCTLD for Italy, but tech companies use it to mean "information technology"), or .io ( India Ocean, but tech companies use it to mean "Input/Output). Other popular extensions include .me, .tv, .fm, and I do see people using .xyz now.

People also use hacks ( using the extension to finish the spelling of a name or phrase) such as .ly, .me., .de, and so on.

There's also a crap load of generics now like .guru, .marketing, .club, .solutions and about 100 others.

Using ccTLD's can be a little tricky. Google does consider some regional and some generic. For instance I use a .it for one of my websites, but Google will also take into consideration the language of your website, it's IP address, where other links to your website come from, and your Google Business listing with your verified address.

Here's a list of TLD's and how they are considered
IANA ? Root Zone Database (http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db)

Consider a name that is exactly what the product is to make it easier on yourself to market, rather than trying to follow in the footsteps of companies that have spent YEARS and MILLIONS of dollars to brand their companies and associate an unrelated term to mean their business.

Sorry to say, but looking for random ideas here is a wasted exercise. Very few people (if anyone) are going to take the time to search out possible random name suggestions for you. You'll have to put in that time yourself. I'll be honest, if I put in the time to do the tedious task of looking to see what's out there (for free, and you're not a partner or a client) and find something that I think sounds awesome I'm going to register it for myself.

Best I can do is direct you on how to search and best practices.

Just remember, the name is important but ultimately how good your marketing is will determine whether it's well branded. You don't luck up and get a "cool" domain, you make it a "cool" domain. The companies made them that with millions in marketing and having awesome products and services.

barnesthomas
12-29-2015, 06:50 AM

There are various business name generators available online that can help novices to find unique and catchy names.
<removed>
You can also take help from that source or search other tools if you want to save your time. Good Luck :)