PDA

View Full Version : Pop-up Start-up Wage Advice From Permissioned Commerical Land?

VeganBiz
01-12-2016, 07:10 PM
Yes! I want to start-up a commercial pop-up business in my current city, but I don't own a commercial land. I was told I could ask permission to a commercial land owner and would have to pay a fee (if required by commercial land owner). But my question still stands as considering an acquired: Merchant and Food and EIN IRS number, how do I get paid for my hourly salary wage (governed-by-state-laws) as an employer of my business on someone elses permissioned commercial property? I asked question's to our local city management and they don't know how hourly salary is waged between commercial land owner and small business owner. All our local city management knows or can inform me is that I have to turn in a permissioned commercial land owner letter stating I work those given day's, hour's, and give a brief description of what I am selling to be able to establish a pop-up commercial small business acceptance from my city.

Fulcrum
01-12-2016, 08:12 PM
What's a pop up business?

That aside, why not just go the food truck route? Setup an LLC, get your proper city, state, federal licenses, hire an accountant to help you stay on top of your finances.

As for how much you as an owner get paid, that's all on you. Need a $1000/week after tax? Be prepared to work 65-80 hours a week - maybe even 100+. When I started, my wage/salary was well below what many consider to be the poverty line.

VeganBiz
01-13-2016, 12:03 AM
And by-the-way, Brad.. That accountant work. I will use square chip card. It's a free credit card swiper order, for small business owner's. But yes.. They charge very small percentage rate's to every customer that buy's me a product. I know it's 2.75%, for Visa/Master card/Discover/American Express! And they keep track of all your account's, payroll, chart's, and graph's... So. Really. All I have to do is review my online square chip card account, for small business merchant's... Here's the website: https://squareup.com/reader

VeganBiz
01-13-2016, 12:05 AM
I would still like to know, Brad... How my wages will be paid to me as an employer of my own small business under a permissioned commercial land owner?

VeganBiz
01-13-2016, 12:08 AM
Brad... I don't like to deal with cash these day's. Only plastic. It's too risky. And it's safer, for the customer's as they will have their account's security encrypted from Square Inc...

tallen
01-13-2016, 06:50 AM
Square will transfer the proceeds of your sales (after deducting their share) to your bank account. You will pay your business expenses out of that bank account. Whatever is left over after paying your other expenses will be (essentially) your "wages." You will be a self-employed business person, there is no one else who will pay you wages -- certainly not the owner of the property that you park your pop-up store on; if anything they will expect YOU to pay THEM something (perhaps a base fee + a percentage of sales?).

Fulcrum
01-13-2016, 08:10 AM
I would still like to know, Brad... How my wages will be paid to me as an employer of my own small business under a permissioned commercial land owner?

Not really sure what you mean by permissioned commercial land owner. It's a term I've never heard used.

As for paying yourself, a simple online transfer from your business account to your personal account will suffice. Make sure you record the transaction because the amount you take will be considered post tax.

I'm still going to recommend hiring an accountant. You may only use them 3-4 times per year, but they will assist in keeping you on track. I use mine mostly for year end taxes, payroll, and how to structure large dollar capital purchases.

Brad... I don't like to deal with cash these day's. Only plastic. It's too risky. And it's safer, for the customer's as they will have their account's security encrypted from Square Inc...

In what way is cash risky? I'll honor cash all day, every day as there is a 2-3% fee for every transaction when it's on plastic. If you're going into the walk up food business, get used to cash. Don't flash it around and don't talk about how much you have pulled in.

VeganBiz
01-13-2016, 03:14 PM
Tallen... Thanq's, for your reply! But You answered a question I didn't mention about square chip card, I already know how square chip card operates obviously from my previous post. And I know I have to pay my own merchant and food supplies from the same square chip card small business account. These are advices I already posted... And, of course, my "sales" are another form of my "wages!" But you still didn't get my question answered right, what I want to know is, how will I get paid for my "employer labor wages" not for my "sale wages?" What do you think, I am an idiot? No offense... But I know the commercial land owner will not pay me, for my "employer labor wages." I think it's done by the Texas Department of Labor... I'll continue to do my own research to get the facts across... Besides, I believe I stated that I already know the advice on the commercial land owner possibly charging me a small fee. Anyway, thanq's for your reply...

VeganBiz
01-13-2016, 03:29 PM
Brad... Noooooo wayyyyy... I would not accept any form of cash. Only "plastic!" There are too many thieves out in the open world, I am not about to set myself up for a disaster attack on my finances. Not good advice... Besides "plastic" is all "eco-green," not wasteful with paper. I don't want to deal with mounts annual paper-work either... Yite's! I know it's better organized to keep track of your small business finances through direct deposit online. And a "Permissioned Commercial Land Owner," means that you have to ask permission to a commercial land owner to occupy small business space like a temporary pop-up traditional market strategy.

tallen
01-14-2016, 06:40 AM
I don't think you are an idiot, I just find your posts very confusing.

To me, they read as if you are looking for somebody to pay you wages for your labor, as if you were an employee of some other employer.

But in the scenario, you are a self-employed business person. You have to pay yourself your own wages for your labor. How you do that depends on how your business is organized -- if you are a sole proprietor, then you just transfer some money from your business bank account to your personal bank account as Brad has already suggested. IF your business is organized as a corporation, it is a little more complicated and you do have to pay yourself through a payroll process (since the corporation is now considered your employer) although as the owner of the corporation you could still also take "draws" (also called "distributions") from the corporation, too.

Is this what you are asking about? How to run a payroll process in order to pay your self? You probably don't need to worry about this if you are a sole-proprietor, only if your business is organized as a corporation. But I am not familiar with the rules that might be in place in Texas, and/or maybe there is some particular meaning to "employer labor wages" that I am not understanding?

Fulcrum
01-14-2016, 08:43 AM
Let's take a step back and start at the beginning:

1) You want to start a pop up business. What, exactly, is a pop up business?

2) What, exactly, is a permissioned commercial land owner? Your post above describes a rental agreement - not ownership.

3) Like Tallen, what, exactly is the employer labor rate and why is it different from a sales wage?

4) You're going into the food truck (or variation of) type of business but you refuse to accept cash. This is probably the biggest mistake you can make. I know similar businesses that have 70% of their sales in cash. Being eco or green doesn't hold water here as plastic is made from oil, which comes out of the ground, is heavily refined, and is considered non-renewable. Paper, on the other hand, is made from a renewable resource (primarily cotton when it comes to money if memory serves).

5) If I'm reading your posts right, you want to rely on a 3rd party app to do your accounting. Big mistake. Don't be cheap and hire a proper accountant. They will save you more money than you will spend.

Don't think you're an idiot, but some line breaks would go a long way in helping us read your posts. Also, getting defensive when someone attempts to clear up a point (whether you agree with the answer or not doesn't rule out its validity or accuracy) won't help us help you.