PDA

View Full Version : Cyber Security for SMB and home-base business owners

lvhugo
01-21-2016, 08:21 AM
I'm a cyber security expert thinking about starting a service to provide cyber security education to small business and home-based business owners.
I'd love to get feedback on whether this would be of any interest to business owners?

Are there any other services around computer/internet/cyber security that would interest a SMB or home-based business owner?

Thank you for your time.
Dan

Harold Mansfield
01-21-2016, 11:07 AM
I'm a cyber security expert thinking about starting a service to provide cyber security education to small business and home-based business owners.
I'd love to get feedback on whether this would be of any interest to business owners?

Are there any other services around computer/internet/cyber security that would interest a SMB or home-based business owner?

Thank you for your time.
Dan

I think starting a business about something you know is a good idea and this is a good field to be in. However I don't think the home based business owner is a very lucrative market to target for that specific thing. They may buy a product, but they won't buy services or get into any long term service agreements.

You should target the kinds of businesses that are already taking it seriously and need help. not people you have to talk into it.

And trust me, most small business, home office people suck at security, don't care about getting better which means they probably won't pay for it until AFTER something goes terribly wrong.

I think you should target a more lucrative market, but be available for everyone.

Test the waters and blog about home office cyber security on the side, do some local news or radio stuff, podcasts...get it out there and see if there's any interest/readers.

vangogh
01-21-2016, 12:36 PM
I agree with Harold. I don't see home-based small businesses as a good market for you. Mot people will be more concerned with the additional expense than the security you can provide. People have a tendency to not think security (or backups) are important until after there's an issue. I could be wrong, but I don't see this as your market.

lvhugo
01-21-2016, 09:49 PM
Thank you for your feedback. I see both your points.

vangogh
01-22-2016, 02:34 AM
Something you could is to put together an online course and sell it. I do think there are business that will be interested, but not at service prices. An online course is something you could sell for less, but reach a lot more people. If you geared it toward securing websites that would probably help too.