PDA

View Full Version : Business name Opinions

Parksdogtraining
02-24-2016, 04:24 PM
Hello all,
I am new here and looking forward to getting to know everyone :)

I am starting a dog training business and I am getting stuck on the business name. I know how important the right name can be for branding etc. I would love your input and suggestions!
The three that we have, so far are:

Parks Dog Training
Training dogs, empowering owners

Paws Forward Dog Training
Bringing out the best in your dog
This one the domain is already taken (not by a business) so I was reluctant to choose a different domain.

Forward Paws Dog Training

Thanks for your help!

Harold Mansfield
02-24-2016, 05:10 PM
Hello all,

I am starting a dog training business and I am getting stuck on the business name. I know how important the right name can be for branding etc. I would love your input and suggestions!

Parks Dog Training

This one the domain is already taken (not by a business) so I was reluctant to choose a different domain.

Thanks for your help!

Start narrowing down your name choices by what's available to be registered as a URL. No sense in even discussing options if you can't register it no matter how good it seems.
Check .com's and/or whatever extensions you're OK with.

Once you know what's out there, it's easier to make a decision.

Parksdogtraining
02-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Thanks for your response.
I have checked URL's and sscefile for those names. Paws forward was bought by a domain company and the other two are available.

Looking for for opinions on how those names come across as a business entity. Would any of those names draw your attention or peak your interest enough to check out the website?

Harold Mansfield
02-24-2016, 05:38 PM
Thanks for your response.
I have checked URL's and sscefile for those names. Paws forward was bought by a domain company and the other two are available.

Looking for for opinions on how those names come across as a business entity. Would any of those names draw your attention or peak your interest enough to check out the website?

I'm assuming your target market is local?
I'd look to see if anything is available that lets you capitalize on your location. Maybe with a city name or nickname. This will be extremely important once you open the doors and look to target your market. For instance I live in Vegas. If I could register VegasDogTraining.com, for marketing and branding that's worth far more than any clever name you can think of.

Your looking for the cool factor, which is OK. Understandable. But don't overlook the obvious and miss an opportunity. If you're asking which kind of name would draw me in more, it would be the one with the clear keywords or that targets my location, breed of dog, age of dog, or some other kind of targeting that resonated with me.

I'd be drawn more to baddogtraining.com, than "parks", unless that's your last name and you're going to go out into the community and promote so that your name is associated with dog training. Or if you're actually doing classes in the park.

For your industry I'd pick the kind of name that does some marketing work for me, not just something that looks good on cards.

See what I mean?

If nothing like that is available, then I guess cool name is the option that you have left.

Parksdogtraining
02-24-2016, 06:52 PM
Thanks for your input. Actually, your suggestion with the location was my first choice but they have all been taken.
Parks is my partners last name and we might be holding a few classes in local parks, but certainly not the focus of the business.
My angle with the paws forward/forward paws is to start the concept of a new movement of dog training. A blending of old and new methods, so to speak.
I am a balanced trainer that draws on both old and new theories and builds a plan of action according to the specific needs of each dog. I hope that helps to clarify.

Harold Mansfield
02-24-2016, 06:56 PM
Thanks for your input. Actually, your suggestion with the location was my first choice but they have all been taken.
Parks is my partners last name and we might be holding a few classes in local parks, but certainly not the focus of the business.
My angle with the paws forward/forward paws is to start the concept of a new movement of dog training. A blending of old and new methods, so to speak.
I am a balanced trainer that draws on both old and new theories and builds a plan of action according to the specific needs of each dog. I hope that helps to clarify.

Yes it does and now I like the name because I can see the direction of the marketing that you're going to put behind it, which will brand it well. Makes perfect sense.

Parksdogtraining
02-25-2016, 09:37 AM
Thanks Harold :)

David Hunter
02-25-2016, 11:32 AM
I like Paws Forward Dog Training... but you said the domain name is already taken?? I just checked... you may want to check again...

Harold Mansfield
02-25-2016, 01:48 PM
Not sure if you'd be interested, but did you know there's a .dog extension now? May be some good opportunities there for URL's.

FireFly
02-25-2016, 05:03 PM
All Paws on Deck Training

that's all I got for now LOL. I'm usually REALLY good at names/slogans

OhioDude
03-03-2016, 06:58 AM
"A Walk in the Park" ~ Dog Training

lejjjjina54
03-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Home Dog Training Center

Amber
03-03-2016, 06:55 PM
"A Walk in the Park" ~ Dog Training

Really good name for a dog walking company. Hm not so much for dog training though imo.

Amber
03-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Hello all,

Parks Dog Training

Thanks for your help!

Hi there. Fellow pet services business here. I'm based in AZ though. I second a few opinions about the "Paws Forward" name because it helps describe your unique offering quickly---forward thinking training / bringing out your dog's best. Using a name is alright and sounds more professional but you'd have to work a little harder to communicate your specialty. "Training dogs, empowering owners" sounds more to me about to what you can do for owner, not the dog. It (the name "Parks Dog Training") actually sounds like an academy or a franchise. Which is great if that's where you see your company growing in the future.

In short, I choose catchy and easy to remember, over anything else. But I believe business names are a super personal thing. I agree including a city in a business name (if it's available that is!) may have an advantage in the SERPs but imo it's stiff, overused and lacks creativity. There are many successful, local companies in my area that don't include a city in their name. My advice: think about your branding and how the name you pick will come across to your target customer.

How much is the Paws Forward domain? Damn I hate squatters. If it's not taken by a company, are there other ways of spelling/abbreviating it? You also may want to make sure once you pick a name, that you create social media accounts along with it. In case you want to do a SM campaign, then the handles are not taken.

- Progressive Paws Dog Training
- Pioneering Paws Dog Training *
- Paw Pioneers Dog Training * I like these because in copy you can refer to your "students" as your Paw Pioneers® lol ;)

...that's all I have for now. My wrists are tired. The thesaurus is your friend!