PDA

View Full Version : Legitimate Online Businesses

OhioDude
03-05-2016, 06:47 AM
Hey folks!

I currently work for a private company full-time but have always wanted to own my own online business. The Internet never closes, open 24/7 and reaches practically everyone in the world. So, why not capitalize on that? The only problem is the Internet is saturated with people like me, who want to make money online.

I'm tired of the scams out there and the evil people who take advantage of others just to make a quick buck, then can't be found ever again. I am trying to get ideas for a legitimate business that I could enjoy, while at the same time benefiting my future clients without tricking them into something that's useless.

There's so much deception in this world it would be nice to offer something fresh, creative and beneficial to people for a change.

I know folks on here don't want to give away their "secret" idea and you don't have to. I'm just trying to get some ideas on what type of business seems to work in this day and age online. It's tough to sell things because of the giants out there like Amazon or eBay, who charge high fees to sell. I'm thinking something more along the lines of a type of service offered to people. Merchandise is hard, unless it's extremely unique I would think, although I'm no expert. That's why I'm here.

Your thoughts?

Fulcrum
03-05-2016, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately, we can't tell you what business to start. If it were that easy, we'd all be selling that service while sitting on a beach.

So let me ask you some questions:
1) What are your abilities? Be honest here.
2) What do you enjoy doing?
3) Do 1&2 line up so that you can monetize it?
4) How much do you need (want to make comes later) to make weekly? Monthly? Annually?
5a) How much money do you have available to put at risk in a business venture?
5b) How much are you willing and able to lose?

This is just a start and you don't need to answer them all here. I write this in order to get you thinking about what you can, and are able to, do.

Harold Mansfield
03-05-2016, 11:43 AM
Yep, pretty much what Brad said. "Online" isn't the business. The web is just a marketing avenue. The business is what you can or know how to do that you can provide as a valuable service.

OhioDude
03-06-2016, 07:22 AM
1. Customer Support, Writing, Creativity, Logic, Intelligence, Computers, Photography, Video Production.
2. Writing, Photography, Using Computers, Creative Expression, Working Independently
3. (I started a novel but it's very time consuming and little pay) :)
4. $3,000 a month
5a. $50,000
5b. as little as possible ($25,000) let's say (but my wife would kill me)

These are things just off the top of my head.

The problem is what I LIKE to do so does millions of others! lol I'm trying to find a niche using my abilities and interests and it's never easy.

Paul
03-06-2016, 02:14 PM
1. Customer Support, Writing, Creativity, Logic, Intelligence, Computers, Photography, Video Production.
2. Writing, Photography, Using Computers, Creative Expression, Working Independently
4. $3,000 a month
5a. $50,000

The problem is what I LIKE to do so does millions of others! lol I'm trying to find a niche using my abilities and interests and it's never easy.

Don't overthink the "niche" concept. The reason there are a million others offering a particular service or product is because there is the demand. Trying to find a niche first that no one else is in is the wrong strategy, in my opinion. Get into a traditional business first and then you can find your niche within that industry.

Harold Mansfield
03-06-2016, 02:17 PM

True, but they aren't all good. Some are better at marketing and self promotion than they are actually doing the job, many have no business or customer service skills, and many give up and quit. Finding a niche isn't easy, but in my case the niche presented itself from just being out there and listening. Basically my niche found me within the skills that I already had.

You can't just run around looking for a niche like a new shirt. Choose something you know nothing about and it will fail. There are no exceptions. Doesn't matter who you hire, if YOU know nothing about it then you don't know how or who to hire.

You don't need to attract millions of people to make a good living. You just need to service the number of people that you do reach very well. A lot of people get so overwhelmed trying to be everything to everyone, that they end up with no one.

turboguy
03-06-2016, 02:22 PM
I think Paul makes a good point. Often when you start a business, if you keep your eyes and your mind open, the areas you need to be and promote will make themselves known. In one way I have had one main business for most of my adult life but in reality it was two business. When I first started the concept we started with changed a lot when we saw what was working and what opportunities were available to us. Actually the main place where we found success was the segment that we really didn't want to be in when we started. A few decades later I wanted to change from a marketing business to a manufacturing business. We came out with our first product and it was ok but would never really be what we needed. We came out with our second product line and that too had some weak areas. Then we came out with our third product line and it was a hit and now were are 25 years and 10,000 machines down the road. We did add other products. Some worked out well and some didn't. Start with what you think will work and look for opportunities.

OhioDude
03-06-2016, 06:57 PM
That's cool turbo but I'm more of a computer guy because it's all I've really known. I started out on IRC and word processors. I'm on computers daily in the profession I'm in so I know my way around. No, I'm no genius when it comes to computers but I know more than the average person, or could at least find the answers and know how to implement them. But, is that what I get into? Of course not. I like technology, but supporting it is another story. Not my cup of tea. I prefer the end-user approach to computers, not so much figuring out problems all the time. Gear-heads are bred for that.

I am creative, logical thinking, enjoy a good conversation, yet, not so savvy when it comes to marketing myself, or my service on the Internet.

My service is yet to be determined but in the meantime, it's important to discuss things so when that magic spark of a moment captures my attention, I'll be more prepared to press on.

tallen
03-07-2016, 06:12 AM
Another way to think about this: what problems can you solve? (what skills, talents, special knowledge do you have that you can bring to bear on solving those problems?) Who has those problems that could use your help in solving them? (Can they pay for your solution?)

If the problems that you can solve are common problems that lots of people have, and that lots of other people are offering solutions for, then you have to start thinking about how to differentiate your particular offering (why or how is your solution to this problem better than other offerings?). Sometimes you might find yourself in a commodity marketplace, where the only way to really differentiate yourself is on price -- in which case, it is time to re-think your approach...

The other posters are right that the online world is actually very limited -- it is merely a means to marketing, and in rare cases delivering, solutions to real-world problems (problems that real people actually have).

Think about your own life, what are the problems that you encounter on a regular basis, and how do you solve them for yourself?

BNB
03-07-2016, 08:10 AM
The other posters are right that the online world is actually very limited -- it is merely a means to marketing, and in rare cases delivering

THIS!

Don't think so much about an "online business" and think more about a "business" that would benefit from effective online marketing. You may want to consider a local services business. You could clean pools and make $3k/mo.

OhioDude
03-11-2016, 11:20 AM
I do have an idea for those who have been contributing to this topic.

Since I love to write, and I believe I have a very good story line in my head, I thought about starting a blog and getting my feet wet by allowing people to discover my work. There are plenty of websites out there where writers can contribute their entire works but I don't know if that would make the most sense, or having my own blog, or both. I was thinking the blog could be the ongoing, one chapter at a time kind of thing where people can read as the story unfolds and once the story is complete I can then submit the entire thing to the online publishing sites.

I like the blog idea because I would love the feedback as the story unfolded and by reading those comments it may spark ideas for future chapters.

I've always wanted to write a novel but I lose interest because it's not engaging enough from start to finish. So I thought having a blog and posting one chapter at a time would be something different where more and more people could start following it as the story expands and builds interest.

People love reality shows and other things where each episode builds on the next. The same approach could be achieved with writing I would imagine. But, the chapters would have to come pretty often because I could see people losing interest if it took six months to post another chapter.

Perhaps a combination using a blog and a Facebook fan page might be enough to test the waters and it wouldn't cost much. If the blog started to gain a following I could expand from there.

KristineS
03-11-2016, 02:02 PM
A lot of writers have taken to blogging and social media to build a following for their work. If what you're writing is compelling enough, you might be able to use the serialized approach (releasing a new chapter every week for instance) to build interest and a following. It's basically the electronic version of what writers like Charles Dickens and Charlotte Bronte did back in the old days. Newspapers would release their stories chapter by chapter, and people were waiting for hours in lines and having fistfights in order to be the first to get the latest installment. It's a tactic that can work.

OhioDude
03-11-2016, 04:39 PM
I doubt my writing would cause fistfights (maybe bandwidth fights)-(kidding) ...but the important thing to me is I'd have a blast with it and hopefully find clever ways to build it and promote it. Who knows, maybe some publishing company might find my writings and offer to work with me. Or, some Hollywood producer would pay me rights for the story. If that happened that would be an added bonus, of course. For me, life is short and if I started something on the side in the hopes I could live off that financially one day I'd be thrilled. At least it's something I could do and keep my day job.

There's millions of writers out there and it's a very competitive market, like anything else. What can I do differently yet gain a large, popular following? I really think you must have an above average, compelling story line and that's where my creativity would kick in. I've read other works and I've always thought to myself, "I could do that". Why not try?

This is just one idea I have. Lots of things flash through my mind on a daily basis. But a writing gig (blog) would fit better into my full-time employment right now and cost a heck of a lot less to manage. Basically it's just time spent behind a monitor and submerging myself into my story.

I'd use Wordpress (Used it many years ago) and have a Facebook Fan page, for starters. Not real big on Twitter, never was. Mainly because I don't know it's potential probably. The thing is, I don't want to spend my free time self-promoting myself constantly on dozens of online media platforms. Is that really necessary? Maybe it is, I'm asking the experts! :)

MosheC
03-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Are you looking for a freelance job? Or starting your own business?

If you want to start a business, there are too many options to just sort through. What are you passionate about? What would you do if the pay was low but you really love what you're doing? Odds are you are very good at that, and would be considered an expert in that field. That is where I would start. It will take time to build up your brand, but your working at the moment so there is no rush.

user2837
03-22-2016, 12:27 AM
There should be a good number of decent books written by knowledgeable people that talk specifically about internet based income. This could be a start to weeding out some of the junk information floating around out there. Just be aware, as others have discussed, that internet based income may still not be the right path for you.

BrandonL
04-11-2016, 05:11 PM
It's tough to sell things because of the giants out there like Amazon or eBay, who charge high fees to sell. I'm thinking something more along the lines of a type of service offered to people. Merchandise is hard, unless it's extremely unique I would think, although I'm no expert.

A lot of great advice given so far. I would like to comment on this part. There are people successfully generating lots of income in all industries, including selling merchandise. Don't assume it is hard because of Amazon and eBay. There are plenty of people with small operations that generate five, six, and even seven figures per year selling merchandise.

A service is not a bad idea though when starting out, mainly because overhead is much lower and you can get started without much investment - depending on the service.

RR151
04-11-2016, 05:51 PM
4. $3,000 a month
5a. $50,000

How about doing a Local Google News website that is about you the local restaurant food critic. Each week join one new restaurant with camera in hand then write about your experiences and photo the food. Add a restaurant press releases and maybe get paid to write quality press releases... Just a thought, RR

DizzStudio
04-20-2016, 02:31 PM
I'd use Wordpress (Used it many years ago) and have a Facebook Fan page, for starters. Not real big on Twitter, never was. Mainly because I don't know it's potential probably. The thing is, I don't want to spend my free time self-promoting myself constantly on dozens of online media platforms. Is that really necessary? Maybe it is, I'm asking the experts! :)

Hey there,

Just want to comment on this part. Have you already started blogging? If you think you're on the right path then go ahead and start off your blog and FB fan page. Wordpress is sort of a social network, too. If your writing is really comprising WP followers will eventually find you. But I am not saying that you don't need to promote the blog at first. You don't need to spend a lot of your free time to promote it constantly but a couple of hours a day might be a good start tho'. Of course if you have a dozen of bucks to spend on e-marketing you could avoid this work. I started my 3rd blog just 5 days ago but I am heavily promoting it on FB groups which give me quite a good traffic and number of followers. Good luck in your future endeavors

DS

nduncan
07-11-2016, 12:52 AM
There are still lot's of opportunities on the internet however like all businesses you need to put in a serious amount of effort to get a decent return. A lot of people think that all they need to do is throw a website up on the internet and the money will start rolling in. The reality is that once you have paid for your website you will need to start paying for PPC, data analytics and then potentially SEO. It all takes a lot of time and money.

I think that there are still opportunities for niche markets but it depends on the overall size of that niche and the market that it is in. A niche market in the USA would likely be significantly bigger than a niche market in New Zealand.

tonyp11
07-26-2016, 02:18 PM
I forget who it was that said it but I have found this quote an appropriate guideline for my new start-up customers - "pursue your passion and the money will follow"

It gets them thinking about what would really get them up in the morning. I suggest they make a list of what their passions are; best at the top. I then suggest that they list their strengths and weaknesses against each passion.

Eliminate the irrelevant ideas, for example any concept or idea must have a product, a market and be something people are, or are likely, to buy.

Applying some common sense and logic they usually come up with a marketable idea and crude concept.

Once they have these, it is time to develop a detailed Plan for the prospective Business, the compilation of which will answer all the other related questions.