PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea for a business but i don't want to tell everybody

Uncivilsum
03-31-2016, 05:38 AM
I will apologize right now if i have wastes your time or have broken any rules.

I have an idea that has to do with gambeling and Sports, but i don't want share with everybody (sorry) because i feel that the idea has alot of potential internationaly and could be a potential game changer.
However i would like to talk about this idea with other people on the condition that they don't run off with the idea so they can use for there own benefit.

If u do want to talk about it with me, send me a private message.

Uncivilsum

(Btw, i'm from the Netherlands so keep in mind different timezones and different law apply)

Owen
03-31-2016, 07:58 AM
I will apologize right now if i have wastes your time or have broken any rules.

I have an idea that has to do with gambeling and Sports, but i don't want share with everybody (sorry) because i feel that the idea has alot of potential internationaly and could be a potential game changer.
However i would like to talk about this idea with other people on the condition that they don't run off with the idea so they can use for there own benefit.

If u do want to talk about it with me, send me a private message.

Uncivilsum

(Btw, i'm from the Netherlands so keep in mind different timezones and different law apply)

I'm going to let you know right now, we're not big on PM conversations. I wouldn't expect too many PMs if any. Secondly, your idea is illegal in quite a few countries. If you were to pursue a sports gambling website you won't be able to allow specific countries, especially America, to access it. You may also need specific licensing in other countries if you allow them to use it. I would consult a lawyer with international business experience.

Uncivilsum
03-31-2016, 09:48 AM
Yeah sorry about that.
Look part of my idea is having an website where people buy Fictional shares in sport teams, this part involves no real money being spent. Its like wallstreet but replace shares in companies with fictional shares in sport teams

Owen
03-31-2016, 09:53 AM
Yeah sorry about that.
Look part of my idea is having an website where people buy Fictional shares in sport teams, this part involves no real money being spent. Its like wallstreet but replace shares in companies with fictional shares in sport teams

So basically Investopedia sports edition? lol

vangogh
03-31-2016, 10:06 AM
I understand why you don't want to share the idea. I also get worrying someone might take the idea and run with it. The thing is at some point you have to share your idea. You'll be sharing it as soon as you start the actual business and try to gain customers. When you do the idea will be out there and people will be able to take it and run with it. In fact if your business is successful, the odds are 100% that someone else will do the same thing.

Success in business isn't about the idea. It's about how you execute on the idea. There's always going to be competition. However, if you share the idea, others can help you grow it. It's up to you of course. It's your idea and business and you have to do things your way, but I think you'll find it's better not to keep it a secret for too long.

Based on what you've told us so far, I would check the legality of what you're doing in the countries you hope operate in. Otherwise if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Harold Mansfield
03-31-2016, 11:50 AM
Not much we can advise on if you don't want to share what it is we're talking about. However if you have specific questions about starting up we may be able to help with web, design, and marketing stuff. Most other things are going to be up to your local laws.

Also remember this, ideas are a dime a dozen. Everyone has them, most are not original, and someone has likely had yours. It's the marketing, execution, and management of it that is the difference between an idea just being a fantasy, and it being an actual business and hopefully a success.

Business Attorney
04-01-2016, 02:08 AM
A few years ago I was meeting with a new client who was in the very early stages of launching a new business. One of his investors was a successful serial entrepreneur who told him that he had found throughout his many businesses that the advantages of sharing his ideas with anyone who would listen, and getting their feedback, far outweighed the potential loss of someone "stealing" his ideas.

As Harold said, ideas are a dime a dozen. It's the implementation that matters. Of course, I wouldn't share an idea with an obvious competitor who could implement the idea more quickly and efficiently, but talking to your friends, advisors, professors, potential investors and others whose insights might help you hone and improve your idea is not something you should shy away from.

Youltorbed
04-01-2016, 01:49 PM
You're right. Most big corporations do have secrets. If you think your idea is sound, don't share with anybody especially in early stages, generally speaking.

RobertL
05-14-2016, 12:31 PM
Lots of ideas are great, but you need a lot more than a good idea to make things fly, a lot more. And you need to have every part working otherwise it won't fly. I wish you luck.