PDA

View Full Version : Fablab Project

arthur80
04-21-2016, 09:50 AM
Hi everyone, I have a new project, it's a Fablab in Switzerland, with fresh ideas and a different concepte than others in the region, bigger space, more machines, no clutter. I'm trying to collect as much information as I can that can help me to handle a fablab and have more members.
I accept all the possible informations about the fablab to help me to get a better picture.

Fulcrum
04-21-2016, 05:23 PM
What's a Fablab?

vangogh
04-21-2016, 05:56 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I'm also wondering what the question in the original post is. Arthur can you provide more details about what a Fablab is and what kind of information you're looking for?

trox
04-22-2016, 02:45 AM
Search the Internet -- but primary advice: don't attempt to do it on your own.

turboguy
04-22-2016, 06:15 AM
What's a Fablab?

Fab labs provide widespread access to modern means for invention. They began as an outreach project from MIT's Center for Bits and Atoms (CBA). CBA assembled millions of dollars in machines for research in digital fabrication, ultimately aiming at developing programmable molecular assemblers that will be able to make almost anything. Fab labs fall between these extremes, comprising roughly fifty thousand dollars in equipment and materials that can be used today to do what will be possible with tomorrow's personal fabricators.
Fab labs have spread from inner-city Boston to rural India, from South Africa to the North of Norway. Activities in fab labs range from technological empowerment to peer-to-peer project-based technical training to local problem-solving to small-scale high-tech business incubation to grass-roots research. Projects being developed and produced in fab labs include solar and wind-powered turbines, thin-client computers and wireless data networks, analytical instrumentation for agriculture and healthcare, custom housing, and rapid-prototyping of rapid-prototyping machines.

Fab labs share core capabilities, so that people and projects can be shared across them. This currently includes:
•A computer-controlled lasercutter, for press-fit assembly of 3D structures from 2D parts
•A larger (4'x8') numerically-controlled milling machine, for making furniture- (and house-) sized parts
•A signcutter, to produce printing masks, flexible circuits, and antennas
•A precision (micron resolution) milling machine to make three-dimensional molds and surface-mount circuit boards
•Programming tools for low-cost high-speed embedded processors

Here is a link to another definition Fab Foundation ? What is a Fab Lab? (http://www.fabfoundation.org/fab-labs/what-is-a-fab-lab/)

arthur80
04-22-2016, 10:18 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I'm also wondering what the question in the original post is. Arthur can you provide more details about what a Fablab is and what kind of information you're looking for?
My question was is informations about fablab project, especially when the execution of it, so i can overcome problems if I face some.

arthur80
04-22-2016, 10:19 AM
thanks for the help

arthur80
04-22-2016, 10:19 AM
thanks for the help turboguy

turboguy
04-22-2016, 10:36 AM
thanks for the help turboguy

I think a lot of us here don't know a lot about Fablabs or even before your post had even heard of one. I did some quick research and it seems like an interesting concept that is really catching on. Since most of us don't know a lot about Fablabs the amount of help we can be is going to be limited.

* It looks like it takes a minimum of 50 grand in equipment to start one but if you have more equipment than others that should be a draw to get more people to use it.
* There seems to be some sort of site or group where you can list your information and that could bring some business.
* I would think the more you get involved in the industry it would be a plus. A good web site is a good tool for most any business.
* Contacting Small business groups and government agencies that assist small businesses may get you some referrals.
* Participating in local B to B trade shows may generate some business
* Contacting local organizations may give some promotions. You may have opportunities to speak in front of groups.

vangogh
04-22-2016, 01:02 PM
My question was is informations about fablab project, especially when the execution of it, so i can overcome problems if I face some.

I get that, but like Ray said, most and probably all of us don't really know what a Fablab is. Everything I know about them is in this thread. I doubt we'll be able to provide general information about them. However, if you have specific questions like how to do you reach people who would use the Fablab or how would set up bookkeeping, then we might be able to draw from our own business and help. It's hard to answer general questions because they are so general. Help us understand what you've figured out so far and what problems you've encountered and we'll do out best. Otherwise you're asking us to visit a search engine and copy some basic information from whatever articles we can find and you don't really need us to do that for you. In fact it's better for you and your business to do that kind of research on your own.

Fulcrum
04-22-2016, 04:48 PM
Sounds like a shared space type of project.

If you go ahead with this, make sure that you include ongoing safety and WHIMS training as well as demand that all new users go through this program.

arthur80
04-25-2016, 10:25 AM
I get that, but like Ray said, most and probably all of us don't really know what a Fablab is. Everything I know about them is in this thread. I doubt we'll be able to provide general information about them. However, if you have specific questions like how to do you reach people who would use the Fablab or how would set up bookkeeping, then we might be able to draw from our own business and help. It's hard to answer general questions because they are so general. Help us understand what you've figured out so far and what problems you've encountered and we'll do out best. Otherwise you're asking us to visit a search engine and copy some basic information from whatever articles we can find and you don't really need us to do that for you. In fact it's better for you and your business to do that kind of research on your own.

our competitions open for 2 hours every week for only their entourage, we exposed the truth about them to the community because we want to open for everybody, everyday and we have the staff and the machines. They are scared and trying to harass us in every opportunity. The community is not that big or that strong, so we are having difficulties reaching for them, and spread the news that there is a way better fablab will open in the future bigger and better"

arthur80
04-25-2016, 10:27 AM
thank you very much, these are very good points you made.