PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a local Facebook Business Page example

chrismarklee
05-29-2016, 03:37 PM
I am trying to find a local Facebook Business page that shares posts that are not related to the product that they sell. I do Income tax returns for locals. People on Facebook are on it to have fun. During tax season. I was sharing crafting ideas for kids and funny clean images to local groups. I do not believe sharing Income tax code is effective

vangogh
05-30-2016, 10:40 AM
I have no pages to recommend as I've already spent more time in this thread than I did on Facebook all year, but I wanted to keep your thread active. I agree that people on Facebook are looking for something other than being sold to. I think posting to Facebook works similar to running a blog. Think about the people you want to reach and then think about other things they might have in common. Your crafting ideas for kids and funny clean images work. The trick is finding a way to make sure people know what you do for a living and getting them to remember you so when tax time rolls around and they need some help. you come to mind.

turboguy
05-30-2016, 11:02 AM
I do not believe sharing Income tax code is effective

I am not so sure I agree with you on this. To me if I was looking at a Facebook page for someone who was preparing taxes I would have little interest in crafts. I get tons of newsletters in my email and one of the few I even open is the one from my CPA with suggestions about how to minimize taxes, changes in the tax code, retirement planning, investing advice, succession planning and much more. I open every single one of his newsletters and there is so much material on this topic that you would never run out of things to write about.

Harold Mansfield
05-30-2016, 01:13 PM
I am trying to find a local Facebook Business page that shares posts that are not related to the product that they sell. I do Income tax returns for locals. People on Facebook are on it to have fun. During tax season. I was sharing crafting ideas for kids and funny clean images to local groups. I do not believe sharing Income tax code is effective

I agree with turboguy. Tax code may be boring, but when I'm looking for someone I want to see that they know what they're talking about. What you're doing is a common mistake people make online. Trying to target the most amount of people and hoping that some customers shake out in the mix. IMO that's a wasted strategy because it's not about attracting the most people, it's about attracting the people who need what you have to offer...when they are looking for it.

The creativity in social media marketing comes in how you make your thing continually interesting, informative, or helpful to the right people. If there's a way to tie your craft and other posts into your service then that would be a good strategy. Otherwise you're kinda wasting time building followers for the wrong thing.

I'd try to use my social media profiles to target my demographic. I know people aren't thinking about taxes all year, but they are thinking about their business, ways to save money on their yearly tax bill or get the best refund, home and business deductions, financial management tips, "What's the solar energy tax credit or rebate and does it apply to my small business?"...and so on and so on.

For instance, I was watching a tech show and one of the advertisers was Automatic, the thing that you plug into your car for diagnostic. I didn't know it also had mileage tracking and fuel costs info as well. Looks like you can track mileage and cost right down to the penny. Bet that kind of share would be interesting to your customers or potential customers who drive a lot for work, or have fleet vehicles. Got to be easier to just print that stuff out for the end of the year, rather than writing a log.

There is a ton of helpful information and content that you could share all year long. Could probably build a decent newsletter on it too.

turboguy
05-30-2016, 04:01 PM
I mentioned the newsletter that I make a point to look at every Monday when it arrives. Just to show some of the topics they have these are some in the latest newsletter that came today.

Five Things Baby Boomers Need to Know About RMDs
The Charitable IRA Transfer: Permanent at Last
What to Know About Annuities
Get in the Habit -- Smart Investing Habits to Adopt This Year
10 Midyear Tax Planning Moves Inspired by the PATH Act
Plan Now So Guardianship is Not Necessary
Executive Terminations: Sever Ties Carefully
Investigate Zoning Laws Before Committing to a Location

They are also doing a seminar on Quick Books and these are some of the topics.

Critical mistakes in setting up your chart of accounts in Quick Books
Quick book errors that hurt cash flow
Ways to reduce payroll headaches
Reports that will stop wasted expenses and reduce overhead
Mistakes to avoid in costing and why they matter.

These are the kinds of things I would suggest posting on your Facebook page but it is your page.

Let me add one side note. When I started using this accounting firm 20 years ago they had 1 employee. Now they have about 50.

KristineS
05-31-2016, 11:53 AM
Definitely agree with what's already been said here. You offer tax services, so talk about that. There are tons of people out there looking for information on how to save on their taxes, what deductions they can take, how to find a good tax preparer, all sorts of things. Providing good content on these subjects will attract people who want your services and that should always be your goal. That doesn't mean you can't post about crafts or pets or whatever, just somehow tie it to taxes. For crafts, maybe it's taking your hobby to a business. For pets, maybe talk about when a pet can be a deduction, if it ever can, and when it can't. Make your content reference the services you're selling.