PDA

View Full Version : Help marketing new bookkeeping service!

pencilbox
06-16-2016, 11:24 AM
Hi,

I am starting my bookkeeping service and am stuck on how to find my first few clients. I know that businesses like mine spread best through word of mouth and I have told everyone I know about my work and that I am looking for clients. Today I plan to put an add in the local paper and I have done some pro bono work for a testimonial for my website. I plan to place an ad on Craigslist, though Craigslist is scary to me, so many scammers and viruses!

Does anyone have any more ideas for me? I would like to start with local service companies, construction, electricians, that sort of thing. I don't have the budget to join the Chamber of Commerce right now, that was suggested to me before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Harold Mansfield
06-16-2016, 12:20 PM
Hi,

I am starting my bookkeeping service and am stuck on how to find my first few clients. I know that businesses like mine spread best through word of mouth and I have told everyone I know about my work and that I am looking for clients.

Today I plan to put an add in the local paper and I have done some pro bono work for a testimonial for my website. I plan to place an ad on Craigslist, though Craigslist is scary to me, so many scammers and viruses!

Does anyone have any more ideas for me? I would like to start with local service companies, construction, electricians, that sort of thing. I don't have the budget to join the Chamber of Commerce right now, that was suggested to me before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys

Here's some honest truth about "word of mouth". It's a lie. The way people think of "Word of mouth" today is that you just tell friends and family, and that your service is so great that they will promote your business for you and tell all of their friends. But your friends and family are not marketers.They don't know your business. And they won't be promoting your business full time.That's your job.

The truth is that "word of mouth" doesn't just happen like that. If it was that easy, we'd all be wealthy.

It is a lot of work that really means that you're grinding out your marketing by doing everything you can to get your face and business in front of people including, creating and promoting content that people need, maybe writing a book, doing free seminars or presentations to local groups, pro bono work for groups(Non profits) that have reach and influence to help promote you, getting on radio, local TV, podcasts..whatever, doing webinars, getting good reviews, a great website and SEO, Social media and so on.

Word of mouth entails that people hear about you. That's not going to happen just telling them one by one.

Do you give everyone you tell a few business cards to pass out to others looking for services?

Is your website up and ready to create leads and make the phone ring? I mean really ready. Does it compete with similar services in your area? Is it as professional as it could be, or did you just do enough to get by and get something p with the hope of coming back later once you make some money to do it right?

Are you writing any content, or submitting articles anywhere that has actual readers?

Are you doing anything on social media? What's your LinkedIn profile look like?

True word of mouth is all of the above and more. It's bootstrap marketing and you have to keep motivated and improving for the life of your business.

pencilbox
06-16-2016, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I have given some cards to family members to hand out but not to everyone. I guess what I meant by word of mouth was mostly from satisfied clients. It's just finding those first few clients that's the hard part! I was hoping to avoid social media all together, I don't want to be part of that at all, but it looks like a free, viable marketing tool that I would be an idiot not to utilize! I am a bit of an introvert and don't see myself on radio or tv anytime soon, but I do understand what you are saying about doing anything it takes to get my name out there. I will try anything at this point! Thanks again for the advice!

Harold Mansfield
06-16-2016, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I have given some cards to family members to hand out but not to everyone. I guess what I meant by word of mouth was mostly from satisfied clients. It's just finding those first few clients that's the hard part! I was hoping to avoid social media all together, I don't want to be part of that at all, but it looks like a free, viable marketing tool that I would be an idiot not to utilize! I am a bit of an introvert and don't see myself on radio or tv anytime soon, but I do understand what you are saying about doing anything it takes to get my name out there. I will try anything at this point! Thanks again for the advice!

Being in business for yourself is the opposite of being an introvert. You are the Chief Executive sales person, marketer, strategist, accountant, customer service rep, and everything else. You cannot make it business waiting for the business to come to you...at least not without a great ad and marketing campaign.

Yes, getting the first few clients is the hard part. So is getting the next few. And the next few. It doesn't start happening by magic just because you get the first few clients under your belt. It's a constant motion of keeping existing clients happy, and filling the pipeline with new business.

I'm definitely not saying social media is the end all marketing that is going to bring your business. Truth is, it won't, especially not for a while. But if you're in business and your target market is other people in business, you should at least have a well put together LinkedIn profile. It may not bring business directly, but it helps with your professional presence online and is more places to be found.

Most times before your phone ever rings, people go online to check you out. They look at your website, maybe look for some reviews, maybe they see a social media profile. You'll never know they are looking, but you can be in charge of what they see.

Your goal online should be that when people search for you, or your business name, that you control everything that comes up on that first page of the results. Whether that be your websites, articles, business profiles, reviews. social media accounts, whatever...those 10 spots (as much as possible) AND the side bar information should be all you and you should not leave it to chance.

KristineS
06-17-2016, 03:00 PM
Social media can be a great tool if used effectively. The trick is to follow strategically. You're on whatever social media platform you're using for a purpose, and you want to get the message out to people who want what you have to offer. So follow the pages or feeds of local companies that could use your expertise. Watch what they're saying. Social media can be great market research, so following potential clients on Facebook or Twitter or whatever will give you insight into places where you might be able to help them.

On your own profiles, make sure you're not just selling your services. Give tips about ways small businesses can save money on taxes, or how proper bookkeeping can help a company avoid problems. Show your expertise and how you can help your potential clients, don't just tell them.

Also, don't neglect local television and radio stations and newspapers and magazines. A good press release can get you some nice free publicity. You can also get in touch with local reporters and offer yourself as a source for questions about managing a company's books. You most likely won't have to be on camera, but a lot of reporters like to have trusted sources on tap in case they need a quote.

Check with the local Chamber of Commerce or any local business groups. Do they have newsletters or blogs for which you could write? Work on positioning yourself as an expert in your field.

Those are just some ideas. Harold is right, though, getting the first few clients in the door is just the beginning of the marketing work. It will, most likely, never get to a place where you won't have to work on keeping your name out there.

jlee1994848
06-23-2016, 11:22 PM
I used to own an accounting/tax service. One of the things I found that people are reluctant to change accountants (even bad ones) largely due to not knowing much about accounting and taxes. The way to get them to change is to let them know that you firm is special. The specialty should be communications. That is the one thing that is missing from most accountants and their clients.

The advice from Harold Mansfield is true. Word of mouth is not the best form of marketing your firm. Even happy clients are slow to recommend you to others...you're just not part of their priorities. You need to supply the content and information on your website to show that you are not a run-of-the mill accounting or bookkeeping firm. Also note that you can't depend on SEO alone. SEO is important but you also need to do some outbound marketing to get the targeted market to visit your site. You could use a sales letter, brochures, and email marketing to develop interest.

Another piece of advice, don't do pro-Bono work. It is rarely appreciated and gives the potential client the feeling that your work isn't valuable. Save the pro-Bono for established clients as a means of showing appreciation of their business.

John

ricke
10-17-2016, 11:53 PM
First use some ofline marketing methods like direct mail marketing. Use a customized mail. We had pulled some local customers using this method.

Vinecityseo
10-20-2016, 02:19 PM
Hi Norma, I would encourage you to pick up the phone and start cold calling. Or do the leg work: visit businesses around your area and leave gifts- pens, pads, pencils, whatever you can afford. Don't sell yourself- instead, talk about them and their business, ask questions, etc. Ask if they would be OK, if you called them to stay in touch. Then elegantly, leave your business card and thank them for their time. They will remember you.

I know that that's a scary thing to do, but sometimes, we have to go a step further when everything else fails.

gtatellipsis
10-21-2016, 02:27 AM
I'd first start by defining your budget in terms of both time and money. How much time do you have for marketing and how much money you can spend? How is your book keeping business different from your competition? Do you have an edge in terms of pricing? Or quality/detail? Analyze your business carefully, with an eye of a critique, and see how you are good or bad as compared to your competition. As others have mentioned, instead of selling yourself, ask your target audience the key questions about book keeping; what kind of service they use today? And if they don't, then why not? What do they like and what they wish they could get? All these will help you "fill the gap" in your "existing market". All this will take tremendous time and effort but if you are focused on knowing where those gaps are that need to be filled, that would be your best entry point into getting some business.

Hope this helps.

americanmailprofits
10-23-2016, 08:14 AM
Here's some honest truth about "word of mouth". It's a lie. ....

I disagree with this tremendously. I am part of a company who has spent $0.00 in advertising and nets $1 million+/year. The business is construction so its easy to get to the million mark, but the point is Word of mouth is a GREAT way to build a business..

There has been 0 downtime in work, even through the 08 crash... so, word of mouth is a great asset.

Example:
John uses your services. John knows people and is casually talking to Pam. Pam is looking for something similar to what John is using...Pam inquires...
Pam buys because she knows someone who has personally used this services and the level of TRUST is higher then if JOHN was no in equation.

Fulcrum
10-24-2016, 06:21 PM
Here's some honest truth about "word of mouth". It's a lie. ....

I disagree with this tremendously. I am part of a company who has spent $0.00 in advertising and nets $1 million+/year. The business is construction so its easy to get to the million mark, but the point is Word of mouth is a GREAT way to build a business..

There has been 0 downtime in work, even through the 08 crash... so, word of mouth is a great asset.

Example:
John uses your services. John knows people and is casually talking to Pam. Pam is looking for something similar to what John is using...Pam inquires...
Pam buys because she knows someone who has personally used this services and the level of TRUST is higher then if JOHN was no in equation.

Here's the thing. Both of these statements are only half truths. Harold's statement, as written in the quote, misses the context that the rest of his post contains.

I'm in the "word of mouth is great" camp, yet I don't rely on it exclusively. I still cold call when I happen to drive buy a potential customer that I'm not dealing with. Yet I can almost guarantee that the construction company you work for had to hustle and cold call at times.

Harold Mansfield
10-24-2016, 07:29 PM

Example:

That's a referral. It's sales. It wasn't just "word of mouth", someone did something to get the sale. There was a personal relationship and a referral. Yeah, you can do that all day long if you are a good salesman and have a decent network to call on.

MiaSeattle
11-10-2018, 11:22 AM
Norma, word of mouth might as well be dead as compared to online advertising, my advice is to concentrate on your Google Map listing. I'd love to go through the whole process, but here it is condensed:

Establish a Gmail address specifically for your business at https://www.google.com/gmail/about/ -- you could call it something like pencilboxbookkeeping@gmail.com

Claim your business through Google Maps -- just go to https://google.com/maps and enter the name of your business. If you see "Is this your business", click that and go through the claiming process.

Once you've claimed your business, go into your Google My Business dashboard -- access that at https://www.google.com/business/ and sign in with your Gmail address.

Add photos. In your type of business, photos of yourself and your staff, a storefront photo, etc. Keep thinking about photo ideas that would be interesting and informative. You can't have too many photos.

Go to the Info section and add categories, look for accounting, bookkeeping, etc, just start typing and you'll get category suggestions. Be super-honest with your categories.

Go to the Info section and add your business description. Fill that up with what you do and where you do it.

Link to your Google Map from everywhere you can, like we do below -- go to Google Maps, enter your business name, click on Share, and copy the short link.

https://goo.gl/maps/PeHrPPygxKG2 << our Google Map listing.

Also highly consider embedding your Google Map on every page of your website. Again, as above, click on Share, click on Embed, copy that code, and put it into a document. You or your Webmaster can then embed that code into the code side of your website builder program.

Ask your best customers for reviews. Get past the hesitancy to ask for reviews, you need them.

Many SEO experts are now calling your Google Map listing "your new website" -- people can look at your listing, get directions, read and give reviews, look at photos, and CLICK STRAIGHT THROUGH TO YOUR WEBSITE anyway.

Google Maps is free, website SEO is $$$$$ -- also we've seen most bookkeeping services and accountant pay very little attention to Google Maps, so you definitely have a chance to rank!

Professional Waxing Services in Seattle WA (https://simplymias.com)

MiaSeattle
11-10-2018, 11:29 AM
Oopsie, looks like our friend Norma might be out of business?

No mo http://pencilboxbookkeeping.com

:confused:

Willie Posey
02-18-2019, 06:43 AM
Are you not ready to move beyond traditional marketing procedures? I mean you can advertise your offers effectively on various social media sites. If not, Television and print media are also effective though it will take some time to give positive results. Goodluck:)

Steve MacLellan
02-25-2019, 03:18 PM
I disagree with this tremendously.

Never made it to a million but I used to run a business with a six-figure income that was mostly built on relationship marketing and word of mouth. Never used LinkedIn — don't like it.

Regards,
Steve MacLellan

chrismarklee
09-07-2019, 05:22 PM
I have this problem too. I market to locals on Facebook. I do need to pound the doors more face to face.

SkyWriting
11-15-2019, 07:17 AM
I know that businesses like mine spread best through word of mouth and I have told everyone I know about my work and that I am looking for clients.!

Yes, word of mouth is the best. But it takes (free) planning to have it work for you.

2. Who can refer these prospects to you?
For each of the following groups include both existing and former. For example, you would consider existing and former vendors, customers, employees, competitors, etc. Or you could consider combinations such as former employees of competitors.
• Vendor • Customers • Employees • Competitors • Relatives • Prospects • Prospects who did not convert • Neighbors and friends • Church members • Association members (Fraternal, social, industry, charity, or interest based.) • Other businesses and professionals who your prospects trust in your area. • Other businesses and professionals who your prospects trust outside your area. • Leaders or celebrities who your prospects admire, respect and/or trust (Such as Tony Robbins, Fran Tarkington, Vie Conant, Denis Waitley, Tom Phillips, Michael Jordan, etc.) • Magazines editors, writers for publications. • Special interest groups (Cigars, travel, music, whale watching, etc.) • Who do the prospects do business with before, during and after the prospect does business with you. In other words, who has the customers you want • Governmental regulatory agencies

3. Set the stage for getting referrals
• First make sure you have a good or valuable product or service. If not, improve it. • Revere what you do. • Position yourself as different from your competitors, • Show interest in them by asking them about themselves, • Tell them why your product or service is of better value. Educate them. If they are a customer, tell them what buying from you means to them both in the present and in the future, Explain that they owe it to their friends, relatives and associates to refer them to you if they care, really care about them. Explain that even if that the referral does not buy, you will provide a valuable service for them by letting them know what they should look for, what they should avoid what they should expect, what they might overlook, and anything else which could negatively or positively affect the referral, • Explain that you will be a professional and the referral will thank the person who referred them to you. • Give them reasons why they should give you referrals. Explain that you get much or most of your business by referral. Because you do get referrals, you are able to invest your money and your time in providing a better product or service,

93 Referral Systems - Jay Abraham

Rebecca T-Marie
11-29-2019, 05:41 PM
Congratulations on having the skills and ability to provide the service!

I am hoping to start my own bookkeeping service, too. Yet I don't know where to begin. Currently I am taking online college courses for Accounting and am looking for more resources that will help me learn real world skills.

May I ask how you acquired the skills and experience necessary to become a bookkeeper?

I like the idea of getting out and talking to people to get new clients. I have no experience to speak from, but I know you can make a big impact on someone if you talk to them in person and leave behind small gifts as someone suggested.

Good luck with your endeavors!

myaccountinglab
12-03-2020, 01:48 PM
I just see your website pencilboxbookkeeping.com but its not working.

journalist55
03-03-2022, 10:49 AM
Hello, I would try LinkedIn, Ziprecruiter or Indeed! LinkedIn is great because you can make a post about your bookkeeping service and message potential employees!