PDA

View Full Version : I Am a New User

calexanderw
07-27-2016, 01:21 PM
Hello! I am a full-time business marketing student and full-time paid intern at a fine art gallery in Mississippi. I also do volunteer firefighting. I enjoy playing Civilization V and create visual art in the little spare time I have. I am unsure what business I want to start with and when the ideal time is to do it. I am deeply interested in advertising and consumerism. I have many years experience with Adobe creative products such as: Illustrator, Photoshop, Lightroom, and InDesign. I would like to have some recommendations for books involving starting a business and business models. I prefer audiobooks but any medium is fine!

vangogh
07-28-2016, 01:09 AM
Welcome to the forum calexanderw. Don't worry if you're unsure what kind of business you want to start. Think about things you enjoy doing. The reason I suggest that is because starting and running a business is hard work with a lot of ups and downs. It helps to get through the downs and just to stick with it, when you like what you're doing. A large part of success is simply sticking with the same thing long enough to get good at it. As far as the right time, you'll know when it's the right time.

I don't think I've ready any books on business models so I don't have a recommendation. There are a lot of sample plans online. Download a few from different industries to get a feel for them. The main thing is to understand a business plan is a tool to help you figure out your business. Writing one helps you think through how your business will work and where you'll be strong and where you need to improve weakness.

Welcome again. I look forward to getting to know you and thanks for joining the community.

Owen
07-28-2016, 11:33 PM
Welcome to the forum. Haha, you should read through some of my threads. I used to change my business idea twice a day.

Fulcrum
07-29-2016, 07:59 AM
What do you mean "use to" Owen?:cool:

turboguy
07-29-2016, 01:58 PM
What do you mean "use to" Owen?:cool:

He means he is now down to once a day.

David Hunter
08-01-2016, 07:15 PM
Welcome to the forum!