PDA

View Full Version : Online business ideas

fairyfloss
07-27-2016, 09:01 PM
Hi

I have been interested in starting an online business, I currently work however I have a lot of spare time.

The ideas I have come up with so far:

1. Web design
I am pretty good at setting up websites, buying domains etc. Would be good idea as I do sit on a computer all day long anyway. Only problem is that there is a lot of competition, how would I make myself stand out? how would I gain business?

2. Service based website
I have an idea for a service were people pay to advertise a specific product on my website, good idea as it requires minimal effort from myself however I have a direct competitor or two. Not sure how I would make myself stand out from the competitors and how I would gain customers.

3. Homemade natural body products
I would be interested in creating my own body scrubs, packaging and selling them. The only issue is this is a over saturated market. How would I make my products different. I like the idea of Frank body scrubs, simple product however the marketing Is what makes it stand out.

These are the main ideas I can come up with, not sure how good they are, what does everyone think? Do you have any other ideas for me?

BizAdvisor
07-27-2016, 09:28 PM
1. Web design
I am pretty good at setting up websites, buying domains etc. Would be good idea as I do sit on a computer all day long anyway. Only problem is that there is a lot of competition, how would I make myself stand out? how would I gain business?

Sure, there is plenty of competition for web design companies... But that's not necessarily the case if you narrow your service to a particular niche market. For example, if you cater specifically to a specific occupation; Realtors or Plumbers, perhaps Carpenters, Lawyers... etc. You may think this decreases your potential clientele, but you can actually acquire more with less. You know that old saying "Jack of all trades, but a master of none..."

fairyfloss
07-27-2016, 09:37 PM
That is a good point, how do you think I would go about gaining clients, getting my name out there?

BizAdvisor
07-28-2016, 12:23 AM
Without giving out too much information, I will say this... Firstly, you're gonna want to figure out which occupational demographic you wish to target. Instead of contacting already established companies, you'll want to utilize public business registration records and articles of incorporation filings to solicit young, developing companies. Not only are these newly listed companies more likely to need your services than an already established company, but all their contact information is also readily available as public record.

As a budding company yourself, you really can't rely on the convenience of clients finding you. You'll have to put in the effort, throw out the fishing net, and pitch yourself to each individual potential client. Your success will ultimately depend on how well you cope with rejection and your ability to maintain a positive attitude.

yoligrana
07-28-2016, 07:19 AM
Loved your recommendations, BizAdvisor!

DizzStudio
07-28-2016, 09:55 AM
Without giving out too much information, I will say this... Firstly, you're gonna want to figure out which occupational demographic you wish to target. Instead of contacting already established companies, you'll want to utilize public business registration records and articles of incorporation filings to solicit young, developing companies. Not only are these newly listed companies more likely to need your services than an already established company, but all their contact information is also readily available as public record.

As a budding company yourself, you really can't rely on the convenience of clients finding you. You'll have to put in the effort, throw out the fishing net, and pitch yourself to each individual potential client. Your success will ultimately depend on how well you cope with rejection and your ability to maintain a positive attitude.

Thanks mate, this is a great recommendation!!!;)

Harold Mansfield
07-28-2016, 06:42 PM
Here's my opinion based on what you've listed. It's all just from my experience, that doesn't mean it's going to be that way for you.

Hi

I have been interested in starting an online business, I currently work however I have a lot of spare time.

The ideas I have come up with so far:

1. Web design
"How would I gain business?" is the question you need to ask yourself about anything you decide to do.

You are absolutely correct that there is a lot of competition. The market is saturated and standing out is very, very difficult. First and foremost, it's not like it was 8 years ago when people HAD to call a web guy just to get something basic up. These days there are cheap DIY options for people to get the basics and those services have greatly cut into the market.

The great land rush to get something online is also over.

Merely being good at setting up websites is not enough. You have to specialize in something. Have a needed skill, and offer more services than just setting up websites. They can do that on Squarespace, Wix, Intuit, Go Daddy, or any host with a site builder.

These days people need help with design, customization, eCommerce, analytics, social media, security, CRM's, and so on and so on. You will never tackle this market just "setting up" websites. That day has passed.

I wouldn't suggest that anyone get into this business now. Especially not without some special skills that are needed. Everyone and their mother can plop up a website and offer basic HTML, CSS and WordPress installations and you will never be able to compete on price with out of country freelancers, and as a one man show you can't do enough work for cheap to make it worth while. There's not enough hours in the day even if you were magically busy 24/7.

2. Service based website
I have an idea for a service were people pay to advertise a specific product on my website, good idea as it requires minimal effort from myself however I have a direct competitor or two. Not sure how I would make myself stand out from the competitors and how I would gain customers.
This is ridiculously hard unless you already have a very popular, niche, high traffic site. It can take years to build one from scratch, especially with no marketing knowledge, and a low budget. Out of all of the ideas, this is the one that requires a crap load of web and marketing knowledge to pull off. Online advertising has progressed by leaps and bounds now and people have a lot of options that offer a lot more reach.

3. Homemade natural body products
I would be interested in creating my own body scrubs, packaging and selling them. The only issue is this is a over saturated market. How would I make my products different. I like the idea of Frank body scrubs, simple product however the marketing Is what makes it stand out.

This is probably the hardest one in terms of work, and expense but it's actually the best idea. Creating something original. Having your own products. Yep, saturated space. But what isn't? Less competition is no guarantee of success either.

You're still going to need to know the web and marketing no matter what you do, but if you're going to do all of that work anyway it may as well be for a shot at selling your own stuff, with a higher profit margin, a better chance at longevity, and offering something new and original to the market.

JMO

Fulcrum
07-28-2016, 07:01 PM
2. Service based website

What kind of services?
Why would I pay you to put in minimal effort? I can do that myself.
Who are these competitors? What would separate you from them?

You will not find an online business that will generate easy money. Even the professional business gurus that have flashy sites, all the proper buzzwords, possibly even a smidge of useful information (did I mention that you can get that deal for the low, low price of $0.50/day billed weekly for a minimum of 6 months), seem to be having trouble getting past the jaded public.

Find something you enjoy doing. Learn what it takes to make it a profitable business if it's possible. Rinse and repeat if your first foray doesn't hit gold.