PDA

View Full Version : business in England (in the U.K.)

Dav
10-01-2016, 08:39 PM
Where can I find information on the laws, rules, and regulations (1) for a United States corporation doing doing business in England, and (2) for a United States citizen doing doing business in England as a sole proprietorship?

Harold Mansfield
10-02-2016, 03:16 PM
Where can I find information on the laws, rules, and regulations (1) for a United States corporation doing doing business in England, and (2) for a United States citizen doing doing business in England as a sole proprietorship?

Google
Export.gov - Doing Business in the UK (http://2016.export.gov/unitedkingdom/doingbusinessintheuk/index.asp)
Doing Business in United Kingdom - World Bank Group (http://www.doingbusiness.org/data/exploreeconomies/united-kingdom)
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/international-businesses

What kind of business? Do you want to import produce? Or are you talking about an online store? Or are you a consultant?
Many different answers depending on what kind of business.

PZagotti@ZnBcpa.com
10-04-2016, 03:00 PM
Harold is correct, what you want to do and how your company will operate is important to know in order to point you in the correct direction.

One thing I would add to Harold's list is to take a look at the trade agreements between the US and the UK.
It's great reading that will keep you up at night.

Also if you don't have the details ironed out yet, take some time, do some research and maybe even get some help from an attorney, CPA or even contact the small business administration as they will be able to give you advise on how to structure the company and its transactions in a way that will keep you out of trouble with the various governmental bodies on both sides of the pond.

Thanks

Dav
10-06-2016, 06:16 AM
Thank you very much for your quick response and reply.

A friend in a foreign country (in Asia) wants to do business in Europe. He asked me (a United States citizen) if I am interested to be part of it and travel back and forth to Europe. This is why I wanted to find information on the laws, rules, and regulations regarding (a United States corporation and/or a United States citizen) doing business in England. (I thought England is a good place to start since they speak the same language).

The business that I am talking about is consulting (individuals) and giving courses (to groups) on health related issues i.e. how to overcome and eliminate physical pain, techniques to relieve hurt feelings and emotional pain, etc. (Note: I tried to just describe the type of business without promoting it).

PZagotti@ZnBcpa.com
10-10-2016, 11:59 AM
OK then the advise given so fare is on point.
Things to think about are how many days you will be in various countries as there are thresholds that if passed could open you up to personal income tax in those countries.
Also how and where the revenue and expenses are generate will also have an effect.
As a US citizen you will have to report all your income world wide and assets, (including bank accounts) that you have interest in world wide.
Don't play games with this, the fines are expensive and the IRS has information sharing treaties with various other countries so the US will know what you reported to Europe and Europe will know what you told the US.

Thanks