PDA

View Full Version : Hiring a bookkeeper/office person

Bobjob
12-20-2016, 02:47 PM
Got any tips?

I'm using a staffing agency. Three potentials. Two are about 50 one is maybe 30. I got a bad vibe from one. My wife got a bad vibe from one and the other is young. They all have nice personalities and adequate experience.

Fulcrum
12-20-2016, 04:54 PM
Bad vibes are out of the running and give the third a try?

Bobjob
12-21-2016, 10:53 AM
Everyone says to hire a 50 year old because their kids should grown they should be more mature and stable.

I believe I'm trying too hard with this situation because in 36 years we've never hired before. I believe I'm caring too much about every little aspect of the hire. I thought it would be as easy as the agency giving me a stand out best choice, but all three are good choices.

Fulcrum
12-21-2016, 04:09 PM
A better way of looking at it would be which of the 3 hires, assuming all are equally qualified, would be the best fit within your company culture (personality, ethics, ability to give and take a joke, etc). Sometimes it can pay off to hire an inexperienced person as you don't need to train out bad habits.

We're a little redneck in my shop, so I've borrowed from Dennis Leary when asking questions. One of them is "what's your favorite flavour of coffee?". There is only one answer that won't result in being shown the door.:D

turboguy
12-21-2016, 04:54 PM
OK, I give up. What is the flavor of coffee that gets them the job.

Fulcrum
12-21-2016, 07:47 PM
I'll let Dennis make the proper explanation (explicit language):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_dxLiuXuw

Coffee flavored coffee.

Edit: added warning