PDA

View Full Version : Two questions from newbie in US business

clausnilsson
12-28-2016, 03:46 PM
Hi,
I am currently setting up a new corporation in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and I will run it from Denmark, where I live. I am danish and this is my first time setting up my own business in the US.

I also have a web shop, and I intend to sell products in the US through my US business. Is it correct that I can sell to the entire US from a company only registered in only one state?

I need to look into customs and I have no experience what so ever regarding US customs. Do I need to look at national authorities sites and rules or is that a state matter for Wyoming? Where do I start?

Thanks,

Harold Mansfield
12-28-2016, 06:25 PM
Well, technically you could have just sold from Denmark without needing the U.S. incorporation. You can sell pretty much anywhere in the world from where ever you are. But since you've already done it, yes you need to follow both state and federal regulations, and be responsible for both state and federal taxes. What the product is, will determine which departments to consult.

SumpinSpecial
12-29-2016, 09:32 AM
I'm very curious why you picked Wyoming out of fifty states? It sounds like you haven't researched USA state business laws, so... was it a random pick?

Bobjob
12-29-2016, 10:17 AM
We import from Germany. We use a freight forwarder and they handle customs.

turboguy
12-29-2016, 11:15 AM
To answer your first question, yes from your Wyoming base you can sell anywhere in the USA. You would need to comply with all Wyoming laws but the laws in other states should have no effect.

We don't import any more but I have in the past. We do export 20 or more shipments a year and in both the importing I have done and the exporting the freight forwarder handles any customs required just as Bobjob said.