PDA

View Full Version : What are some ways to build a email list for my website?

cbrookes1
05-19-2017, 06:50 PM
Hey guys, I am making a website right now and I done a couple of things like typeforms and posted them on different social media groups to try to get people to subscribe to an email list but Im just not seeing the results. Are there any tricks or things I should try to grow my email list or do I just continue posting things and hope for the best?

Harold Mansfield
05-20-2017, 11:43 AM
There is no successful strategy in business called "hope for the best". There's a solution to every problem and most take some learning and hard work.

People subscribe to content that they want to receive from people who they want to read it from. They don't just sign up just because you asked. Everyone is asking. There has to be something in it for them that they deem valuable. Not that YOU deem valuable, that THEY deem valuable. There aren't really any tricks anymore that work like back when this was all new.

People are protective of their time, information and most of all their inboxes. They're not going to fill it with junk. Most people already have a hard time wrangling their inbox as it is.

Here are some of the reasons that I subscribe to newsletters:

1. They're from someone or an organization that I know is knowledgeable in their field.
2. Because I saw or read other content from them.
3. Because they were offering a report or white paper that I wanted to read.
4. Because I was already doing business with them and want to keep up with what they're doing.

I general subscribe to people who are sources of information. Not who merely repeat what they've read from others.

And still, I want to be on as few lists as possible. I unsubscribe from old lists just as much as I subscribe to new ones. These days I'd much rather follow someone on Twitter or You Tube than get emails from them.

I suggest working on your presentation, design, and offer something that your target market may find interesting or helpful to them. What's your privacy policy? That's a big one these days...what are you going to do with my email? What are you going to be sending me? How often? Most of all, who are you and why should I give you my email address?

Again, it's all about what's in it for them. They don't care that you're a nice person who is trying to build a list.

There are plenty of articles, books, and blogs about email marketing. Check out Nathalie Lussier. I took her 30 day list building challenge and although it didn't do great wonders for my own list at the time, I learned why building my own list was slow going and better understand what I need to do should I kick it back up again.
https://nathalielussier.com/blog/blogging/free-email-marketing

(https://nathalielussier.com/blog/blogging/free-email-marketing)

BizAdvisor
05-20-2017, 12:08 PM
Avoid labeling subscribe and-opt out buttons with "SUBSCRIBE" and "X". Instead, use positive and negative reinforced wording to influence decision making. For example: Instead of a button saying "Subscribe", say "I'm Feeling Adventurous!" , "Let's Do This!" , I Love Saving Money!... You get the idea. Likewise, reinforce the opt-out buttons with more negative wording. For Example: Nah, I Ain't Read Too Good , No Thanks, I Like to waste money... etc.

Fulcrum
05-20-2017, 02:08 PM
Those negative reinforcement phrases will stop me dead in my tracks and will cost you a sale today and I will never be back for life. It's not humorous at all. Though worded differently, it's the same (albeit passive aggressive as it is the user who has to make the choice) as calling your customer an idiot if they don't buy from you or use your services.

BizAdvisor
05-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Those negative reinforcement phrases will stop me dead in my tracks and will cost you a sale today and I will never be back for life. It's not humorous at all. Though worded differently, it's the same (albeit passive aggressive as it is the user who has to make the choice) as calling your customer an idiot if they don't buy from you or use your services.

I would agree with you... If it wasn't effective. This is one of those strategies that people may choose not to utilize because common sense, like you stated, tells us that it will cost a sale and offend people. However, common sense is a poor strategy that is often driven by common misconceptions... Which leads to common mistakes. The negative/positive reinforcement strategy is based on proven principles of heuristics and persuasion.

With that said, I will agree with you that my examples were a bit harsh and extreme, however, I personally use the "I ain't read too good" opt-out in which I have seen a noticeable increase in signups as opposed to a simple X button.

Harold Mansfield
05-20-2017, 04:20 PM
I would agree with you... If it wasn't effective. This is one of those strategies that people may choose not to utilize because common sense, like you stated, tells us that it will cost a sale and offend people. However, common sense is a poor strategy that is often driven by common misconceptions... Which leads to common mistakes. The negative/positive reinforcement strategy is based on proven principles of heuristics and persuasion.

With that said, I will agree with you that my examples were a bit harsh and extreme, however, I personally use the "I ain't read too good" opt-out in which I have seen a noticeable increase in signups as opposed to a simple X button.
I hate to agree with this, but it's true. Sometimes I can't believe that some of the stupidest, brain dead, low brow crap actually works on people. The simpler the better. Appealing to a curiosity, fear, or reinforcing something they want to believe is true generally works the best.

However, it's relative to who you want to attract. "36 chapters that will teach you how to perform proper security" likely won't get many takers unless you've built up a rep for being knowledgeable. But "how to secure every possible thing in 3 easy steps" would probably get all kinds of clicks and sign ups.

I'm of the mindset that I'd rather have 10 people who want exact what I'm offering, than 100 people that I hope to turn into leads later. I've found that the work to covert people who were never really interested is not worth it.

But that's me. You have to find the strategy that works for you.

Fulcrum
05-20-2017, 04:49 PM
There's a difference between positive reinforcement and negative reinforcement. I'm all for the positive reinforcement when trying to get sales.

Where I'm drawing the line is, when opting out, I have to click on a button that says "I ain't read too good" (or some other variation of this). Call it personal ethics if you will, but these phrases are a slap in the face to everyone who opts out.

I know, I know, this is business and personal ethics have no place in business yet I can't, and I won't, force people to insult themselves in order for them to sign on with me.

mattkuter
05-22-2017, 12:03 AM
For me the key to getting people to subscribe is to produce content that provides value to your target market. And do it regularly!

One tip that I have been given is to reach out to your existing network and ask if they are personally interested OR if they aren't do they know someone that would be? The key to this working is that people who know you personally most likely want to see you succeed and so will be the ones who will happily refer you on to their own network.

You could also consider using content upgrades on your posts to encourage people to subscribe. For example if your post is "how to secure every possible thing in 3 easy steps" (thanks Harold) then you could provide a PDF checklist for the reader to download as an opt-in upgrade.

WarrenD
05-22-2017, 02:33 AM
How about just asking people for their email IDs? That's how we've done it my business. In the long time that we've been in business, we've just asked our clients, partners etc for their email IDs (and phone numbers as well) & built up a decent sized list. It's a different story that we've just sat on it until now and haven't put it to any use! We did use the phone numbers to stay in touch with people though.

Harold Mansfield
05-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Funny aside, right after I wrote what I thought was a joke, this headline came across my Twitter feed: Here's How to Protect Your Company's Data From Cyberattacks (in 3 Simple Steps)
https://www.inc.com/associated-press/ransomware-cybersecurity-small-business-owners-how-to-protect-your-data.html

Susan Hewson
05-31-2017, 12:47 PM
"Those negative reinforcement phrases will stop me dead in my tracks and will cost you a sale today and I will never be back for life."

Absolutely agree, Brad. It's passive aggressive ('No, I'm happy being uninformed') and it seems to be a thing now. Regardless, I'm gone, never to return.