PDA

View Full Version : New Mobile DJ Business

DJNotApplicable
07-01-2017, 05:32 PM
Hello,

I have started a mobile dj business. I have signed up for a profile on wedding/event wire.

I really focus on EDM music - I make mixes for download and produce breakbeat tracks.

I have done a couple of weddings/parties, but I am having a hard time drumming up new clients.

Does anyone here have any practical advice on how to get more gigs as a mobile DJ?

Thanks in advance.

lpbusiness
07-05-2017, 07:43 AM
Hi DJNotApplicable,

That sounds really cool! Great to see someone following their passion and making a career out of it too.

I'm not sure if you'll find it useful, but one potential solution could be diversifying the music that you play. I'm an EDM fan myself, but it may not always be suitable for the weddings side of the business! Is there any other music you DJ? I know 70s/80s disco and general classics tend to go down well at those kind of events!

Might be worth thinking about if you'd like to expand your clientele!

All the best

Harold Mansfield
07-05-2017, 10:41 AM
I can say from my own experience dealing with EDM and others, that it's going to be a tough road trying to get weddings and other "bland" events with EDM. It's just not that kind of crowd and your market would be really, really narrow.

I'd use your mixing talents to put together some mixes of popular music that a wedding party will know and want to dance to.
You already know there's a ton of remixes of popular songs out there. Whitney Houston, Madonna, MJ, and Toni Braxton remixes are my go to when I'm trying to turn someone on to dance music. Then I can throw in some other popular club stuff in between. If I try to go with too many instrumentals I loose them.

You can get people into SOME EDM when it's mixed with songs that they know, or remixes of popular songs. But you'll never get non EDM people to want all club music at their wedding. Hate to say it but if that's your market, you have to go Top 40 and pop.

DJNotApplicable
07-05-2017, 12:12 PM
I have started collecting re-edits and remixes as well as originals of more mainstream music.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Shifting gears.

Harold Mansfield
07-05-2017, 12:36 PM
Still keep your EDM chops and also market to things like school and college age events and dances, fashion shows, private parties, art events and so on. That's more of an EDM crowd and you will be able to market to both worlds. And don't forget the gays. Good EDM crowd there in every state.

Also, not sure what the local radio scene is but back in the day local DJ's would submit mixes for late night Friday and Saturday shows. If local radio is a bust, try college or internet radio stations. At the very least you get a plug, which gets your name out there and may send some people to your website for bookings.

DJNotApplicable
07-06-2017, 08:59 AM
Still keep your EDM chops and also market to things like school and college age events and dances, fashion shows, private parties, art events and so on. That's more of an EDM crowd and you will be able to market to both worlds. And don't forget the gays. Good EDM crowd there in every state.

Also, not sure what the local radio scene is but back in the day local DJ's would submit mixes for late night Friday and Saturday shows. If local radio is a bust, try college or internet radio stations. At the very least you get a plug, which gets your name out there and may send some people to your website for bookings.

More good advice.

I currently have 2 breakbeat podcasts up and running. I also have my mixes and tracks up on a bunch of dj sites.

Hadn't thought about the radio idea.

Thanks guys.