PDA

View Full Version : $10k to Invest. What should I do?

Fury
07-07-2017, 10:42 PM
I'm new to business and investing in general, but I want to learn. I have a few grand in the bank and $10,000 that I can borrow at an interest rate of 0.6% per month. I figure if I can use that money to generate more than 0.6% profit per month, then I'm making money on my money.

I don't care if the profit is 1% per month, as long as it is consistent and I'm not losing money. I will read and study whatever material is suggested for as long as it takes until I'm confident that I'm knowledgeable enough on the subject that I'm not going to make myself bankrupt. If I end up losing 15% in the end, I'll pull out and survive. I'm just really interested to hear what people have to suggest.

I'm 32, I've been a painter for a few years but I'm not a huge fan of the stress to earning ratio. Recently took up window washing which is fun, and it can be extremely lucrative if done right. I work for a company, but have thought of doing it on my own. I could buy a van and ladders, and I already own most of the equipment to do the job (which isn't much). The company owner asked me if I would be willing to relocate and manage a branch in a different city, so there's one opportunity. However, I would prefer to keep working and learn the trade and use my financial assets to do something on the side that may generate a semi-passive income.

Thank you for your time and insights.

Fulcrum
07-08-2017, 11:04 AM
Vanguard funds. Do your research and park your money there if you want stress free investing.

When I bought my business I put my life savings in as well as using a vendor financed loan. Stressful? Somewhat. Would I do it again? Yep. There were no guarantees and there are still no guarantees five years later. I'm debating right now whether or not I should take out a $60K machine loan so I can add one, and only one, more ability to my capacity.

Fury
07-08-2017, 01:24 PM
Should I go through a broker like Edward Jones?

Fulcrum
07-08-2017, 03:47 PM
I can't help with that. Do your research on both the funds and the broker. You may even be able to invest direct. Google can help with the research.

Paul
07-08-2017, 03:47 PM
I'm new to business and investing in general, but I want to learn. I have a few grand in the bank and $10,000 that I can borrow at an interest rate of 0.6% per month. I figure if I can use that money to generate more than 0.6% profit per month, then I'm making money on my money.

I don't care if the profit is 1% per month, as long as it is consistent and I'm not losing money. I will read and study whatever material is suggested for as long as it takes until I'm confident that I'm knowledgeable enough on the subject that I'm not going to make myself bankrupt. If I end up losing 15% in the end, I'll pull out and survive. I'm just really interested to hear what people have to suggest.

I'm 32, I've been a painter for a few years but I'm not a huge fan of the stress to earning ratio. Recently took up window washing which is fun, and it can be extremely lucrative if done right. I work for a company, but have thought of doing it on my own. I could buy a van and ladders, and I already own most of the equipment to do the job (which isn't much). The company owner asked me if I would be willing to relocate and manage a branch in a different city, so there's one opportunity. However, I would prefer to keep working and learn the trade and use my financial assets to do something on the side that may generate a semi-passive income.

Thank you for your time and insights.

You may have answered your own question here. !0 K is not a lot to start a business. However, you ARE ALREADY IN A BUSINESS! Should be an easy transition to your own painting/window washing business. I have a friend who literally started with a bucket, a squigy and a borrowed ladder strapped to the top of a beat up compact car. Years later he runs his painting company with 24 employees and makes plenty of money. I would consider going on your own in something you know something about.

krjernigan
09-13-2017, 05:56 PM
Take the branch job--learn the business end of it. Invest with a cheap online broker. Then after a couple of years go out on your own. Be careful if the owner asks you to sign a non-compete agreement.