PDA

View Full Version : Health insurance for small family business

denis
09-01-2017, 12:14 PM
Hello,

We are 2 brothers owning an LLC with no employee. Our health insurance yearly premium increase like crazy over the past few years (more than double!) with the coverage going down. We have an agent explaining us that there are not many options and we have a good deal. Do you know of any solution that could apply nicely to our case?
Denis

vangogh
09-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Where are you located? What state are you in? Since health insurance is tied to your location we'll need to know before being able to offer any help.

None of us can create more options for you when it comes to health care. Your agent is probably right that you're getting a good deal within the set of choices you have. There may not be any other solutions. I know you don't like paying more for less. No one does. But this may be a case where you don't have another choice.

If you let us know where you're located we might be able to help more.

shrinkme
09-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Health insurance is a tough subject. We went up quite a bit for the year, but we are happy to have insurance. We have had some major medical over the past three years.

I am not sure what the next year is going to look like.

Good luck to you!

denis
09-04-2017, 11:58 AM
We are located in New Jersey. Let me know.

Paul
09-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Its a problem for many. My long standing policy was canceled when the affordable act started. Couldn't find an exchange plan that my doctors accepted for almost a year. Then, found one more expensive with crazy deductibles. In one year they went out of business. The next one lasted only 10 months. The one I'm on now is about to go out of business. Don't want to get political but, sometimes government "help" isn't any help at all.

Harold Mansfield
09-05-2017, 03:16 PM
It's your state. From what I see you only have 5 choices. That's a problem. This may sound political, but to be able to survive into the future you have to vote out the people who keep it this way. There's no reason for companies in this industry only, to not be able to offer services across state lines. It's a symptom of lobbying by the companies who want to keep it this way.
Until that changes, if you live in a state without many in state choices you're kind of screwed.

You're best bet may be to find a group or co-op to join along with other businesses to try and get better rates. if none exist, maybe create one.

Have you checked out this link?
Small Employer Health Benefits Program Rates (http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division_insurance/ihcseh/sehrates2017.htm)