PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma between two partners

CW777
10-31-2017, 04:27 PM
Myself and my business partner decided to start a company. I'm the engineer and he is to handle the business side of things. Ownership has been split 50/50 but we are a little perpelexed on what to do now. I have designed our product and now that we have a product, most of the work falls on him...it's purely business related now. I have fiscally contributed 50% at this point. But we are now considering giving him more ownership of the company to level this out. Is this a smart idea? Is there a better alternative? I will still be here financially for my part and will continue to aid in design/engineering changes as they come up but he will have more work than I will. Any input? Thanks

tallen
10-31-2017, 07:15 PM
Keep the ownership based on financial investments. Compensate for effort by paying appropriate wages (even if the wages are only accrued on the books as payable in the future once cash flow can support the payment).

tallen
11-01-2017, 10:11 AM
To add, you should be compensated for your effort in product development, just as your partner should be compensated for his work... Put a dollar value on each person's contribution/effort, and keep track of it over time.

Paul
11-02-2017, 11:18 PM
To add, you should be compensated for your effort in product development, just as your partner should be compensated for his work... Put a dollar value on each person's contribution/effort, and keep track of it over time.

Never change the equity structure, just the compensation as Tallen says.