PDA

View Full Version : Startup problems....how to proceed

Blackvans1234
11-29-2017, 09:07 AM
Ive got so many small problems (nearly all related to governmental regulation). I want to jump off a cliff.

My list of problems and inconveniences

Biz license- town wants to know where you will do business and where you will park your commercial vehicles (commercial vehicles cannot be parked at home- code enforcers will get you..hoa will get you) I haven't determined where yet, so I cant get a business license?

County- 10k fee, nonrefundable (doable, but ouch that hurts)
- Must have a two vehicle fleet at minimum (one vehicle costs over 30k to buy and convert. Ouch this hurts worse)
*I was considering having my personal vehicle be "a part of my fleet'' so I can meet their bogus requirement (for additional problem, see bold above and below)
- Specific signage and lettering requirements on vehicles, must have company name, phone number, license and vehicle number with 4 inch lettering
- Must take pictures of vehicles with above requirements as proof
- Chauffeur license - Must name company you will work for....My company hasn't started yet.

So I need to have two vehicles in my fleet. Two possible solutions: 1) buy two vehicles (an enormous expense). 2) I was thinking about having my personal sedan as a fleet vehicle. This creates a new problem as the bolded text shows - I MUST have commercial decals, and I must not park commercial vehicles at home.

I was thinking about using a magnetic decal for the business info. I can place the decal on my car for the picture and apply it when necessary (IE: Never). Of course I will have to still insure this vehicle as a commercial vehicle for hire, which will cost me more money (not as much as buying a second handicapped van however)

Does anyone have any experience/advice/insight dealing with endless regulations?

Paul
11-29-2017, 04:41 PM
Ive got so many small problems (nearly all related to governmental regulation). I want to jump off a cliff......Does anyone have any experience/advice/insight dealing with endless regulations?

Yes, most of us do. Regulations are just part of business. You should see the regulations I have to comply with! Multiple agencies. It's just how it is. To some extent they will help you in the future, making it difficult for competitors to enter your market place. Compliance also can instill consumer confidence. Nobody wants to ride in a non-compliant vehicle. There are too many regs but its the way it is. I once complained to an agency about the expense of compliance. They told me "If you can't afford to comply then you shouldn't be in the business".

I have come to appreciate regs to some extent as it does keep the "wannabees" from destroying the industry.

Wash & Dry
11-29-2017, 10:00 PM
Vehicle storage at a storage facility is usually very cheap. As for an HOA, I would never live in an HOA. We just bought a house and that was the 1st thing I told our realtor.

tallen
11-30-2017, 06:40 AM
I would not put your personal vehicle into your commercial fleet.

If you really need to have at least two vehicles to constitute a fleet, why not buy a junker to be your second fleet vehicle, put the decals on it, and just leave it parked where-ever you arrange for your commercial parking.

Blackvans1234
11-30-2017, 04:07 PM
Vehicle storage at a storage facility is usually very cheap.

The research ive done shows about $300/month per vehicle to park.

The vehicles must be inspected yearly. I would worry that the junker may not pass inspection.

I suppose It could still be done though