PDA

View Full Version : Working with Developers to "Make a Buck" and for Hosting Marketing?

HumaneHosting
02-23-2018, 04:51 PM
Hello, I just thought of an idea and it of course it "looks good on paper" but I would like to understand if it practical and such.

My idea would be something like this...

Look over their works and their customers' feed backs (it's a open market forum so customers can "vouch", leave reputation stats, and/or etc on them). Talk to them privately about agreements on % profits and such on orders on my hosting website.

Then provide them their own department that their customers can interact in and throttle their permissions as appropriate.

Then from the agreements setup the order form for this servicing of theirs.

Is this something that some developers appreciate? Having the facts that they get their own "work place" attended to, knowing that they can place their customers' sites on a reliable hosting easily, and benefit from my marketing?

While I can feed off a "making an extra buck" and their marketing efforts?

Or I am completely going off by doing something like this to my brand? And/or are there risks that I should reconsider in?

Please do let me know if this seems like a practical execution for both parties and thanks in advance!

Harold Mansfield
02-23-2018, 05:15 PM
OK, well, maybe.

As a developer who provides additional services I probably wouldn't be interested. I also have hosts that I recommend and have years of experience with, so it would hard for me to switch my clients to something else. My approach is also based on people being in charge of their own hosting and NOT paying for a lot of 3rd party services, but to learn a little so that they only need to call on pros for really difficult issues or help.

Sounds more like something that end users, the website/business owners would benefit from rather than developers who can already do all of that.

To me it seems like the glue that would bind this together to make a sell-able service is the actual development. If you could provide a one stop shop for the actual clients from development to continuing services that they need you may have something.

HumaneHosting
02-23-2018, 05:41 PM
OK, well, maybe.

I think we all understand that, no one can predict how an idea will "pan out". :)

As a developer who provides additional services I probably wouldn't be interested. I also have hosts that I recommend and have years of experience with, so it would hard for me to switch my clients to something else. My approach is also based on people being in charge of their own hosting and NOT paying for a lot of 3rd party services, but to learn a little so that they only need to call on pros for really difficult issues or help.

If I follow correctly what your saying is basically they may also have hosts that they already like and that they don't wish to contribute a "new" host even if the service may be good?

Also if I understood correctly it's not like I would be "forcing" the clients to get say a logo, a website, an application, a module, and so on. If they literally just want say a logo because they already working off a template or whatever that's would be cool. Because the developer would still make the money off said sale because they ordered said logo and of course I would get a cut of that plus possibly the chance to host them. Or I am missing something regarding your other point there?

Sounds more like something that end users, the website/business owners would benefit from rather than developers who can already do all of that.

To me it seems like the glue that would bind this together to make a sell-able service is the actual development. If you could provide a one stop shop for the actual clients from development to continuing services that they need you may have something.

They can BUT what about the conveniences? Sure going through the emails, creating invoices on Paypal, booking, and etc are all possible from the developer but is that something they are willing to eat time for? Or do they just want to "get cracking" and just worry about pleasing the customers?

Or I am really missing something there?

Finally your last point is not making much sense to me. As I am trying to "combine" the two with such manners. If that not what you referring to then please do help me understand that point better.

Thank you in advance for any further inputs on this.

Harold Mansfield
02-23-2018, 06:37 PM
Understand that I'm not shooting down the idea, I'm just giving you insight from the other side. Also it could be that you're not selling it to me in a way that gives me the warm and fuzzies.

If I follow correctly what your saying is basically they may also have hosts that they already like and that they don't wish to contribute a "new" host even if the service may be good?
No offense, but I've dealt with a lot of hosts and they ALL say theirs is the best. Honestly, most hosts aren't very good. They are pretty interchangeable.

I would concentrate on what is lacking in the hosting field first, solve that problem and make a name for yourself, and use your stellar performance in the main service as a way to promote new services.

The main thing most semi knowledgeable people are worried about is security. Most host suck at it, and the 3rd party companies that they use are confusing, and price gouge people...and they still aren't that good.

Also if I understood correctly it's not like I would be "forcing" the clients to get say a logo, a website, an application, a module, and so on. If they literally just want say a logo because they already working off a template or whatever that's would be cool. Because the developer would still make the money off said sale because they ordered said logo and of course I would get a cut of that plus possibly the chance to host them. Or I am missing something regarding your other point there?

Why wouldn't the developer be able to create a logo for them, or at least already have graphic design connections already?

I've been offered a lot of "partnerships" over the years that work the same way. I bring my clients to them for design work, SEO, marketing, eCommerce, CC processing and so on and I get part of the sale. Sounds good for you because you benefit from my already established marketing and client base, but for me my worry is my clients. If you drop the ball, I lose a client. For some people that's not a risk they're willing to take especially if they can arrange the same services through already established channels or things that they already provide.

They can BUT what about the conveniences? Sure going through the emails, creating invoices on Paypal, booking, and etc are all possible from the developer but is that something they are willing to eat time for? Or do they just want to "get cracking" and just worry about pleasing the customers?

Or I am really missing something there?

You are kind of missing something. No, that's not a service that I would offer, nor one that I (as a customer) would look to a web host to provide. I actually wouldn't trust my administration to anyone. At this point in the game there are too many automated tools and programs that make administration pretty easy. If I was so busy that I couldn't keep up I'd likely hire someone.

I certainly don't want someone who doesn't know my business making calls on my behalf, creating invoices in my Pay Pal account and so on. These things are not very hard to do and most small business owners ( assuming we are talking about small businesses because of where you're asking the question) WANT to handle those things on their own. It's part of the sales process and it literally takes seconds to send out an invoice immediately. Why would I farm that out and make it take longer?

The goal is to make easy for people to do business with you, not add more steps to the process.

Finally your last point is not making much sense to me. As I am trying to "combine" the two with such manners. If that not what you referring to then please do help me understand that point better.

Thank you in advance for any further inputs on this.

The big picture is that you're coming at this from the position of "Look how great I am" and not from the position that the client is looking at it from, "Are they credible, reliable, knowledgeable, and How are they going to solve my problems?". I don't see where you've identified a problem, just offering more things.

Not saying it couldn't work, but you will need to build your relationships with developers ahead of time. While I may not be interested in something like that, that doesn't mean newer developers won't. Some may see it as an opportunity to offer full service to their clients.

Sounds like you want to be a virtual assistant. If that's what you want to do, then start it as a side business. Along the way learn some design and now you're a full service house that can handle all of your own clients needs.

JMO of course.

HumaneHosting
02-23-2018, 07:06 PM
Understand that I'm not shooting down the idea, I'm just giving you insight from the other side. Also it could be that you're not selling it to me in a way that gives me the warm and fuzzies.

No offense, but I've dealt with a lot of hosts and they ALL say theirs is the best. Honestly, most hosts aren't very good. They are pretty interchangeable.

I would concentrate on what is lacking in the hosting field first, solve that problem and make a name for yourself, and use your stellar performance in the main service as a way to promote new services.

The main thing most semi knowledgeable people are worried about is security. Most host suck at it, and the 3rd party companies that they use are confusing, and price gouge people...and they still aren't that good.

Why wouldn't the developer be able to create a logo for them, or at least already have graphic design connections already?

I've been offered a lot of "partnerships" over the years that work the same way. I bring my clients to them for design work, SEO, marketing, eCommerce, CC processing and so on and I get part of the sale. Sounds good for you because you benefit from my already established marketing and client base, but for me my worry is my clients. If you drop the ball, I lose a client. For some people that's not a risk they're willing to take especially if they can arrange the same services through already established channels or things that they already provide.

You are kind of missing something. No, that's not a service that I would offer, nor one that I (as a customer) would look to a web host to provide. I actually wouldn't trust my administration to anyone. At this point in the game there are too many automated tools and programs that make administration pretty easy. If I was so busy that I couldn't keep up I'd likely hire someone.

I certainly don't want someone who doesn't know my business making calls on my behalf, creating invoices in my Pay Pal account and so on. These things are not very hard to do and most small business owners ( assuming we are talking about small businesses because of where you're asking the question) WANT to handle those things on their own. It's part of the sales process and it literally takes seconds to send out an invoice immediately. Why would I farm that out and make it take longer?

The goal is to make easy for people to do business with you, not add more steps to the process.

The big picture is that you're coming at this from the position of "Look how great I am" and not from the position that the client is looking at it from, "Are they credible, reliable, knowledgeable, and How are they going to solve my problems?". I don't see where you've identified a problem, just offering more things.

Not saying it couldn't work, but you will need to build your relationships with developers ahead of time. While I may not be interested in something like that, that doesn't mean newer developers won't. Some may see it as an opportunity to offer full service to their clients.

Sounds like you want to be a virtual assistant. If that's what you want to do, then start it as a side business. Along the way learn some design and now you're a full service house that can handle all of your own clients needs.

JMO of course.

I believe it "half and half" sort of deal as I get what your saying and I do agree with those points. But at the same time I believe your also partly confused.

To be perfectly clear I would not utilize their existing systems but rather to offer them MY system to do business with. Here is the general breakdown that I was thinking of...

1. My order form that would include the services they would able to offer (logo, graphics, websites, and/or etc)
2. Once a order is placed then the customer pays via the automated system and be deposited into my business's processor account
3. They would get to work on those orders by using the restricted access support system
4. At the end of the month they get their cuts (or whatever)

Does that clears up my idea from "messing in their paypal and such"?

Please do let me know as I believe it was really a misunderstanding of what I was trying to convey with that part.

Thanks again.

Harold Mansfield
02-23-2018, 08:51 PM
Yep, I;m confused.

Is this a service you are offering to your customers, or a service you are sub contracting to other service providers?

HumaneHosting
02-23-2018, 09:33 PM
Yep, I;m confused.

Is this a service you are offering to your customers, or a service you are sub contracting to other service providers?

It's okay, thank you for for the understanding but to answer your question...

I am indeed offering website hosting accounts directly to the end customers.

Let me know if your needing any further information and thanks in advance!

Harold Mansfield
02-24-2018, 02:02 PM
It's okay, thank you for for the understanding but to answer your question...

I am indeed offering website hosting accounts directly to the end customers.

Let me know if your needing any further information and thanks in advance!

Then I was talking about a completely different thing. My bad.

In this case, honestly it doesn't matter. Offer your services however you see fit.

My advice is to keep it simple for the user. Not what you THINK is simple because it's simple for you, but what is actually easy to understand and simple for them.

From my experience you can't take orders for graphics and such on a form. Generally you need to discuss the project with the client to insure you can deliver what they want and only then, once you know the complexity of the job and expected turn around time can you set a price.

Restricted work access system? I used to have one. No one used it. They either didn't want to bother trying to learn, didn't want to keep up with another log in, or they just wanted the personal phone and email service. And it was a pretty easy system. Maybe you will have better luck,.

People deal with freelancers because the service is personal. Don't try and make yourself seem corporate, cold, and automated.

JMO of course.

HumaneHosting
02-24-2018, 02:24 PM
Then I was talking about a completely different thing. My bad.

In this case, honestly it doesn't matter. Offer your services however you see fit.

My advice is to keep it simple for the user. Not what you THINK is simple because it's simple for you, but what is actually easy to understand and simple for them.

From my experience you can't take orders for graphics and such on a form. Generally you need to discuss the project with the client to insure you can deliver what they want and only then, once you know the complexity of the job and expected turn around time can you set a price.

Restricted work access system? I used to have one. No one used it. They either didn't want to bother trying to learn, didn't want to keep up with another log in, or they just wanted the personal phone and email service. And it was a pretty easy system. Maybe you will have better luck,.

People deal with freelancers because the service is personal. Don't try and make yourself seem corporate, cold, and automated.

JMO of course.

Thank you for explaining all of this to me, now with this discussion so far I understand much better than I did before. Exactly what I was hoping for. :)