PDA

View Full Version : Advice on using a startup consultant

hoopsfan2000
02-07-2019, 10:43 PM
Hi everyone, great forum here. What is your opinion on using a business startup consultant to advise me on starting a business. I have several concepts for a type of business and I found a consultant who specializes in the field I’m interetsed in. I thought maybe to meet with them and consult me on what to focus on. Is it silly to worry about the consultant taking my ideas? Thanks

Harold Mansfield
02-08-2019, 07:11 AM
To your question, no it's not silly to worry about someone "taking" your ideas, but it's probably an unnecessary worry. Ideas area a dime a dozen and (no offense) yours is probably not original since most business ideas are not. Besides, it's not about how original your idea is, it's about execution of that idea into something that works and makes money.

Fulcrum
02-08-2019, 10:57 AM
What's the idea and why do you think you need a consultant?

Harold Mansfield
02-08-2019, 11:37 AM
I would recommend checking out a SCORE office first. https://www.score.org/
It's free, and they can give you a lot of general advice about starting and running a business that most people don't know or consider when they're focused on how great thier idea is.
Again, it's not the idea. Everyone has ideas. It's the execution and actually running a business.

hoopsfan2000
02-09-2019, 12:38 PM
I have several ideas for a concept in the food industry. The consultant is an expert in this field and has many reviews online. I think I need a consultant because I could use some guidance and advice on which way is the best direction to go and which idea to focus on. Maybe I’m overthinking but I thought it could be good to have maybe an hour session and get some advice from an expert in the field. Thanks !

Harold Mansfield
02-10-2019, 08:26 AM
Lot of people with years of food and hospitality experience right here, including myself, if you want to run some things by us.

Luisgallo
02-19-2019, 06:30 AM
Hey, all the best for your business idea.