PDA

View Full Version : Need help growing my small business

socalchris13
02-19-2019, 02:08 AM
Hey everyone!

I own a small business called Hero Designs (www.Herodesigns.com (https://www.herodesigns.com/)), and I specialize in creating customized police related merchandise for officers and the departments they work for. I was looking for some advice on how I can move forward with my business. I know it's kind of a bad business model to begin with, as I would create an opener for a department for one person, and spending more money making the item then selling it, now I am sitting on merchandise I am having trouble selling. It has helped that my business in growing, but is there a better way that I can go about this? (Example: I would get two customers who want a bottle opener for the local sheriff's, spend a few hundred dollars for a quantity of 100 openers, sell 2 for $10 each, now sitting on 98 openers and having trouble selling). Again, I know its not the smartest, but I am making customers happy and my business is growing and very slowly selling the other orders.

I have started to get larger order quantities, but to keep my prices low for what I am paying for the bulk orders is basically how much I charge my customers.

Should I sell more broad products? Focus more on advertising? Or stick with what I am doing and with time and exposure I will sell more?

Any advice is very much appreciated, and I am happy to send some free merchandise to anyone that is willing to give me good honest feedback. :)

Respectfully,
Chris (Owner of Hero Designs)

PatrickM
02-25-2019, 04:08 AM
It's hard trying to give any meaningful advice when there is little context. Is this a sideline business?
The one thing I would do is decide what I don't do! I would question "to keep my prices low" - what is the benefit to me? If I am providing a very customised product I would expect to be paid for the service.
I would set my selling prices based on quantity based tiers - so that every bit of excess stock is effectively already paid for.
To measure whether my business is growing I would use the simple Profit First concept - is the cash growing? I would recommend reading the book Profit First by Mike Michalowicz his other book The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur is also useful reading.
All the best!

davidlee21
03-04-2019, 04:30 AM
Build an Ecommerce website and list your products with cool images. Try to bring targetted traffic ( policemen is your case). Use digital marketing to promote your website

beetee
06-23-2019, 11:20 AM
Hey everyone!

I own a small business called Hero Designs (www.Herodesigns.com (https://www.herodesigns.com/)), and I specialize in creating customized police related merchandise for officers and the departments they work for. I was looking for some advice on how I can move forward with my business. I know it's kind of a bad business model to begin with, as I would create an opener for a department for one person, and spending more money making the item then selling it, now I am sitting on merchandise I am having trouble selling. It has helped that my business in growing, but is there a better way that I can go about this? (Example: I would get two customers who want a bottle opener for the local sheriff's, spend a few hundred dollars for a quantity of 100 openers, sell 2 for $10 each, now sitting on 98 openers and having trouble selling). Again, I know its not the smartest, but I am making customers happy and my business is growing and very slowly selling the other orders.

I have started to get larger order quantities, but to keep my prices low for what I am paying for the bulk orders is basically how much I charge my customers.

Should I sell more broad products? Focus more on advertising? Or stick with what I am doing and with time and exposure I will sell more?

Any advice is very much appreciated, and I am happy to send some free merchandise to anyone that is willing to give me good honest feedback. :)

Respectfully,

Hi Chris, This is a great niche market !!! I would suggest Rachel Miller on fb will help you with her program. Maybe focus on the need more than the want. She knows what she is doing! Also your website does not state anything about you and why you started this company and business.

lachlan091
07-04-2019, 08:18 AM
The business model isn't crazy at all. You need to up-lift via digital approach to expand your business as "Network has Power." The more you focus to increase your network, the more contacts you build, and that undoubtedly gives your business a boost.

Riley Lueilwitz
09-11-2019, 07:42 AM
Try 'Instagram Shop', it's one of the best ways to sell your products directly on such a big platform.

KarolMep
09-25-2019, 08:57 AM
If this is your site - try to work with Search Engine Optimization. Things like linkbuilding will help you in boosting your positions in the google search.

Kenneth Funk
09-26-2019, 08:27 AM
For a business, there are so many factors that makes it successful. It starts from advertising and goes through branding, sales promotion and so on. But, aside them, you should also keep a track on your employee's activities. Whether they are working properly, giving their best to the organization.

SkyWriting
11-15-2019, 06:04 AM
Hey everyone!

I own a small business called Hero Designs (www.Herodesigns.com (https://www.herodesigns.com/)), and I specialize in creating customized police related merchandise for officers and the departments they work for.
Respectfully,

1. Your website should indicate police merch then.
2. Keep each customer for life until they pass away. Treat them as friends. That should be your business plan anyway.

Short story: My supplier (the only one, by bad) didn't keep track of his customer list
and always chased new customers....and ran out of his life savings.....chasing.

If that's not possible, then structure the process or the merchandise to be viral....that you get, on average, one or more referral sales.
You can get referrals from amazing merchandise and/or from requests for referrals with each sale.

Jay Abraham as 93 referral programs you can find online sometimes.

SkyWriting
11-15-2019, 06:13 AM
Hi Chris, This is a great niche market !!! I would suggest Rachel Miller on fb will help you with her program. Maybe focus on the need more than the want. She knows what she is doing! Also your website does not state anything about you and why you started this company and business.

Right. Structure the website as a information page from you to one other person. Because there is only one person looking at your page at a time.
The more specific your intended target person, the more likely they respond.

The closer to "I got lotta stuff for everyone!" the lower the total response rate.

If you only sell to "redheads," then redheads take notice.

Lewis-H
12-12-2019, 10:54 AM
Build a sales funnel. The first way to quickly grow your business is by building a sales funnel.
Utilize a customer management system.
Research the competition.
Create a customer loyalty program.
Identify new opportunities.
Build an email list.
Form strategic partnerships.
Leverage global platforms.
Follow these things it will help you!
Regards,
Lewis

journalist55
03-29-2022, 03:52 PM
I think your business has great potential, I would keep pushing because it could grow as times goes on. Have you ever thought of creating merchandise for all types of companies or creating merchandise that is easier to develop in bulk and cheaper such as T-shirts or hats?

ofesak
06-10-2022, 08:09 AM
In order to make such a kind of startup, you should take care of the following:
1. Build good online facilities for that (Website with Ecommerce, AutoResponder, CRM).
2. If you produce physical products like T-Shirts you should organize the manufacturing process well, and take care of inventory management.
3. The next is Marketing, I mean how do you represent yourself to your audience, build some authority for your brand, and also consider creating the promo video of your product.
4. The next is traffic, consider advertising the video of your products on Facebook, and take care properly about proper targeting.

The technical facilities for the online presence of your startup (e.g. web design and development) can be outsourced in Ukraine for a lower cost, I've written an article (https://www.ecdevstudio.com/blog/how-to-hire-developer-for-startups-in-ukraine/) about that. All about marketing and traffic can be delegated to the proven marketing company in your area.