PDA

View Full Version : 4 Words that KILL Sales and Conversions

Jorge Callaos
03-31-2019, 03:40 PM
Language is one of the most underappreciated concepts in marketing and sales.

One small word can make or break a sale.

That’s why it’s important for you to carefully choose which words and language patterns you use when communicating with your prospects.

Today I want to give you three words to NEVER use in ANY communication with your prospects…

These are words that will get your prospect’s defenses up, push them away, and possibly erode trust.

Let’s get to them.

1) “Buy”

NEVER, EVER use this word.

The word “buy” signifies a couple of things: (1) that they are about to part with money; (2) that you are selling them (always a no-no); and (3) that they are taking some kind of risk.

Instead of the word buy, use words like “own” or “get access to.”

These words not only keep you from raising your prospect’s defenses but also entice them to buy by preemptively giving them a sense of ownership of your product or service.

Once they have that feeling of ownership, part of them will not want to part with it.

2) “Contract”

This word implies restraint, commitment, and risk of lawsuits.

All of which scare prospects away.

So instead of contract, use the word “agreement.”

Because when you use the word “contract,” you are asking them to sign a piece of paper that will bind and restrain them.

But when you use the word “agreement,” you are implying that the two of you will be working together in a harmonious relationship.

Restraint vs. harmony.

One sounds intimidating; the other sounds agreeable.

The choice is pretty simple here.

3) “Trust me”

Have you ever had someone say to you: “trust me on this…”?

Did you trust them?

Or did them saying that actually cause resistance?

My guess is it probably caused resistance.

If we trust someone, we don’t need them to tell us to trust them.

So if they’re telling us to trust them, we naturally conclude that we don’t trust them.

So don’t ever use those two words.

Simply speak with certainty and with the conviction that your product or service is the solution to your prospect’s pain points.

You want to show and imply that your solution is the trusted solution that will get them the results they are seeking.

But you never want to outright say it.

Your prospect’s “bullshit radar” will instantly go off if you do.

-------

Always be careful with the language you use.

Every word you say – whether it’s spoken or written – will have one of two effects:

(1) It will create rapport and harmony with your prospect; or
(2) It will create resistance and push them away.

So make sure to use your words carefully.

davidlee21
04-03-2019, 02:00 AM
whats the 4th one?

tallen
04-03-2019, 06:02 AM
(1) Buy, (2) Contract, (3) Trust, (4) Me.......

turboguy
04-03-2019, 08:36 AM
I had to think about that one too but did figure it out on my own after rereading that a bunch of times looking for number 4.

As much as the world has changed it is amazing how little the selling process has. When I started in sales, uggg 56 years ago I read a lot of my Dad's sales books and so much of what was written back in the 1950's is still relevant. As an example I still hear people occasionally say "Sell the sizzle not the steak" That came from a book written by Frank Bettger back around 1952. I may be a little off on his name but that is close.

chrismarklee
04-13-2019, 07:41 PM
My problem is the price question if I go to high they find someone else.

billbenson
04-18-2019, 02:24 PM
My problem is the price question if I go to high they find someone else.

That's one of those 'depends' things. It's easy to shop on price these days if it's a commodity product. If it is a commercial product or has a value added aspect, people may go for convince, good customer service, etc. I use Geico for my insurance and have never shopped them. I just get good service from them when I have needed it.

Purchasing agents are frequently overworked and under staffed these days. They may not spend a lot of time shopping a product, especially if it is a technical product they don't understand.

SkyWriting
11-15-2019, 08:06 AM
whats the 4th one?

I've done extensive research on this.
So here are more words to avoid....words that turn away people from ads, words that will not be shown in google ads for long if used:

download
idealist
idealize
sidestep
identity
outsider
resident
citywide
dividend
housemen
accident
wideness
fidelity
doghouse
evidence
provided
sideshow
provider
epidemic
ravenous
monoxide
pushdown
venomous
downside

And here are a handful of the "Most profitable" words to offer customers:

compare

careful

daycare

apparel

prepare

meeting

records

scammed

extinct

upscale

melting

support

reprint

camping

scaling

These are words that show up in adwords campaigns and have "staying power".
Which we will assume is profitable.