PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to Start a Bookkeeping Business

Rebecca T-Marie
11-29-2019, 01:21 PM
Hello everyone! Greetings from Washington State!

My goal is to start my own bookkeeping business and become financially stable.

This year I started college for the very first time and am studying accounting. The courses are all online. I am looking for a way to start applying this knowledge in the outside world and think a bookkeeping business would be great.

I love calculating, organizing data, using a computer, and writing. The idea of being able to have a flexible work schedule is also very appealing to me.

Does anyone know anything about the bookkeeping business?

Thank you,

Rebecca

Fulcrum
11-29-2019, 03:36 PM
Welcome Rebecca.

I can't help you too much with getting started other than suggesting that you start putting the word out that you're looking to take on new clients. I will however recommend that you learn many types of accounting software.

Rebecca T-Marie
11-29-2019, 04:46 PM
Hi Brad. Thank you.

Today I found a great program that teaches how to start a virtual bookkeeping business. Yet it costs thousands of dollars! There is a money back guarantee so there is no major risk involved in buying the course.

If I get another school grant I intend to buy the program.

I am not ready to take on clients right now and need some training/support.

In the meantime I will continue seeking other ways to prepare.

Fulcrum
11-30-2019, 10:08 AM
Today I found a great program that teaches how to start a virtual bookkeeping business. Yet it costs thousands of dollars! There is a money back guarantee so there is no major risk involved in buying the course.

Be careful when signing up for programs like these. Quite often they are a lot of hype with very little depth.

I am not ready to take on clients right now and need some training/support.

In the meantime I will continue seeking other ways to prepare.

What would make you ready to take on clients? What level of training do you need outside of being competent with common accounting software? My bookkeeper started out doing personal tax returns and expanded into helping local companies setup their books and just get organized. Any upgrades toward getting certified can be earned along the way while the business pays for it rather than waiting on grants.

Rebecca T-Marie
11-30-2019, 04:58 PM
Be careful when signing up for programs like these. Quite often they are a lot of hype with very little depth.

What would make you ready to take on clients? What level of training do you need outside of being competent with common accounting software? My bookkeeper started out doing personal tax returns and expanded into helping local companies setup their books and just get organized. Any upgrades toward getting certified can be earned along the way while the business pays for it rather than waiting on grants.

I did think of the possibility of the program being a lot of hype. However, since there is a 60 day money back guarantee I would feel safe trying it. I also found a 'course' on a black friday sale for only $9.99 ($49.99) and bought it. It's mostly video lectures and an ebook.

I don't feel confident to take on clients because I am not familiar with any of the software. I don't know which to choose.
I know about different types of ledgers because of the accounting course I've started, but I know there are details I don't understand yet. I also don't have a steady support group for when I run into problems or have questions. One of the benefits of the expensive program I was looking at is access to an online community of other virtual bookkeepers to go to with questions.

Do you know if your bookkeeper did any courses or training before doing tax returns?
My mother did taxes for Liberty Tax and was trained on the job.

Fulcrum
11-30-2019, 05:20 PM
I think Quickbooks is one of the most popular programs available with compatibility to most, if not all, online banking systems. Unfortunately, it appears that they have gone the route of monthly subscription payments rather than allowing for you to purchase an independent, stand alone software package.

Personally, I use Accountedge as it was the best software value, that offered inventory tracking, for me when I first started. It also has a direct plugin for Shopify which I'm planning to take advantage of early next year.

As for my bookkeeper, she took a college co-op program and spent her co-op time working with a few small businesses.

Rebecca T-Marie
11-30-2019, 05:36 PM
I wish my college offered a co-op program so I can apply what I am learning sooner rather than later.

I will look into Quickbooks and Accountedge. Thanks for the suggestions.