PDA

View Full Version : craigs list

huggytree
02-19-2010, 09:02 PM
i constantly rip on craigs list plumbers and trademan

but....

i think its great for selling things....i listed my dishwasher at 11am today...sold it in 4 hours...4 people interested..1st one to make it here got it...it was a great deal and priced to move in 1 day......also sold a fridge today...that one took 4 days...not as good of a deal.....

why advertise anywhere else?....im amazed how things have changed...i used to pay for newspaper ads and write signs at the food store....now i spend 5 minutes typing and im done......

I got some ultra cheap responses but managed to find 2 quality buyers today.......

any craigs list stories?

Steve B
02-20-2010, 05:38 AM
I love Craig's list also.

I've mostly bought stuff from it - you've got to be quick to get the good deals. I've bought a refrigerator for the garage, a set of shelves, and a TV. I also got my firewood contacts from Craig's list.

I also get all my employees from Craig's list.

It has never worked for me to generate any leads for my fence or pet food delivery business however.

It must be killing the newspaper's revenue.

Harold Mansfield
02-20-2010, 09:55 AM
I have always been leery about Craig's list, but I did take a look the other day looking for some stuff.
People in Vegas are always having "Gotta get out of town and sell all of my stuff" sales, but since I don't work in Bars anymore, I don't hear about them as often so I did look around and there were a lot of what seemed to be good deals.

I agree, newspapers are in real trouble, they have been for quite some time.

billbenson
02-20-2010, 10:26 PM
You can't find anything in the newspaper classifieds anymore where I live. It's the only place to go for cars. Auto Trader is just dealer ads for the most part. I've sold and bought vehicles on craigs list. I know people that never got a call from the Auto Trader.

I bought a Delta Chop Saw retail $400 for $75 on Craigs List. A weight machine the retails for $2k for $400. Of course there are scams, but they try to control that. Just be smart. It's the classified's of the decade.

vangogh
02-21-2010, 12:08 AM
Craig's List works great for just what you said huggy. A friend of mine has furnished apartments by finding free stuff in great condition on Craig's List and then was even able to later sell the same stuff on the site.

I've put up an add on the site and within minutes had a dozen offers in my inbox.

greenoak
02-21-2010, 08:46 PM
we tried selling on it....but no good ....and we figure its full of folks just wanting to get rid of things and selling way lower than we could....i hear lots of good about buying used merchandise.......
we did get tons of scam attempts from our ads...mostly an email saying the person wanted our item but couldnt come see it...they wanted to pay including shipping and we would send shipping money to x....that was the scam....we would send real money to x and the buyers check to us would bounce...
its a well known scam but we didnt know.wekindof figuredit out as it happened...and didnt get sucked in........the insiders advice was ....only take cash in person....and i think thats wise...
ann

Safety Guy
02-22-2010, 03:53 PM
I am able to get great manpower from CL...

KristineS
02-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Craigslist isn't as big in Northern Michigan. I think it works well for larger cities, but it's taking longer to catch on in smaller areas. I have to say I haven't spent a lot of time on the site. There is a Northern Michigan Craigslist, but it's so spread out and not really useful.

billbenson
02-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Kristine, do your local papers still have decent classifieds? Where I am, the ads have gone from the newspaper classifieds to craigslist. It's the only place I can find "classified ad" sort of merchandise locally.

huggytree
02-22-2010, 08:33 PM
id also worry about who you let in your home off CL...i got lucky the 2 who came over were obviously good...but we had a few scary ones over the phone.

if your trying to sell a product at full price forget CL

if you have a good deal it will sell quickly.

imagine the cheapest person their is....now x2 that person and thats who the average CL buyer is....its 100% about price and 0% about quality.

billbenson
02-23-2010, 12:20 AM
imagine the cheapest person their is....now x2 that person and thats who the average CL buyer is....its 100% about price and 0% about quality.

I don't agree with that Huggy. It's just modern newspaper classified ads.

In my area, there are a lot of elderly people. I've seen ads for a house full of furniture when I assume they are going to retirement homes at a steal.

It's just classified ads IMO. Nothing more, nothing less. - Except you now get photos

vangogh
02-23-2010, 02:42 AM
It's just modern newspaper classified ads.

Yep. That's pretty much what it is, only more efficient.

KristineS
02-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Kristine, do your local papers still have decent classifieds? Where I am, the ads have gone from the newspaper classifieds to craigslist. It's the only place I can find "classified ad" sort of merchandise locally.

The classifieds in the local paper are decent. It's just that towns are so spread out up here and smaller, so there isn't the sort of network that exists in bigger towns.

painperdu
02-24-2010, 08:11 AM
The classifieds in the local paper are decent. It's just that towns are so spread out up here and smaller, so there isn't the sort of network that exists in bigger towns.

This is an opportunity waiting to be taken up. A furniture delivery company could easily build and operate a classified ads for the area and be the exclusive advertiser for the site.

Maintenance of the site would be relatively cheap and the only promotional expenditure would be to encourage the spread out customers to use the site.