PDA

View Full Version : forum question

billbenson
03-12-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm using two different computers now. My new PC keeps logging me out after ?? hours. I can't find the selection to stay logged in?

jamestl2
03-12-2010, 07:32 PM
It logs you out of the forum after a few hours?

Have you checked the "Remember Me?" Box right before you log in?

billbenson
03-12-2010, 08:05 PM
That just remembers your username and password in the browser. The forum is what is logging me out.

jamestl2
03-12-2010, 08:42 PM
So are you saying the forum just "automatically logs you out" after staying on for a few hours or so while doing nothing?

VBulletin does have a session timeout option that logs everyone out after a designated amount of time for being inactive, if that's what you mean. That is for everyone though, regardless of machine, and I don't see how it could be different for one computer from another.

billbenson
03-13-2010, 01:37 AM
Its logging me out after just a few minutes of inactivity (I think). My other pc keeps me logged in. There's probably a selection somewhere in my cp but I can't find it.

vangogh
03-13-2010, 02:31 AM
Bill I'm not really sure if it's the forum or your computer. If one computer keeps you signed in then I'm inclined to think it's the other computer more than the forum. However I think the forum might also kick you off at times.

I noticed long ago that for me to stay logged in, I had to log into the admin backend. If I only log in on the frontend like everyone else I'm logged out if I leave the site and come back again. I never noticed the system logging me out for inactivity. It was never a big deal since my browser fills in the user/pass so one extra click and I'm logged in again.

I'll poke around and see if I can find any settings that might be causing the problem.

billbenson
03-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Perhaps I should copy my cookie from the other pc VG?

vangogh
03-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Maybe. Ae you trying to be logged in on both computers at the same time? The software might see that as a security issue and not let you in on both.

billbenson
03-13-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm logged in right now on both computers. The old pc never boots me off. I just wrote a post on this pc and it logged me out while writing the post. It does allow both pc's to be logged in at the same time, it just knocks this one off after a short period of inactivity.

Harold Mansfield
03-13-2010, 05:45 PM
That's weird because there have been times when I left the window open underneath another one with the forum loaded for hours and was still logged in.

vangogh
03-14-2010, 12:44 PM
it just knocks this one off after a short period of inactivity.

Bill that's how most forums I've ever participated with work. They typically log you out after a period of inactivity. I think it may be a security thing, though I'm not sure. I'm more surprised that you're able to stay logged in persistently on the one computer.

billbenson
03-14-2010, 01:04 PM
It never logs me off on the other computer even if I have multiple instances open. I can easily go a week without a reboot, so it never logs me out on any instance and at reboot, I'm still logged in.

vangogh
03-14-2010, 01:14 PM
It might have more to do with how the two computers are set up then. For me default behavior is usually to get logged out after a period of inactivity. If you have one computer that does that and one that keeps you logged in persistently I'd look to the differences in how both computers are set up as well as the settings for the browsers you're using.

billbenson
03-14-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm on FF on both pc's. I copied the profile from the old one to the new one and have all my bookmarkes etc? I'll try a different browser.

vangogh
03-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Let me know what happens. As far as I know there isn't a setting I can change on this end, though I'll keep looking.