PDA

View Full Version : How are your typing skills

billbenson
04-07-2010, 09:32 PM
I took typing in high school and can type reasonable well and fast. I don't look at the keyboard. My problem is using the number pad. I type notes with phone numbers etc when talking to customers and I'm terrible on the key pad.

Anyway, I found the tutorial at the link below. I think it will help a lot. Time will tell. I just keep it open and run through an exercise here an there throughout the day. Just started yesterday. Kind of fun to.

free ten key number pad course - lesson one (http://www.typeonline.co.uk/number_pad_lesson1.html)

mcfarldr1
04-07-2010, 09:47 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but somehow I am terrible with the number pad. I mean, its only like a dozen buttons, but its so difficult to use for me. Maybe my hands are too big for the 3 button wide arrangement of it.

Patrysha
04-07-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm better on the numerical keypad than letters most of the time. I think that comes from the data entry projects I've done, the fingers just know where to land after a while.

I am horrible at straight keyboarding because I type so fast that I am often hitting backspace for the errors before I realize I've made a typo...which doesn't work well for the training and testing programs.

Spider
04-08-2010, 09:39 AM
The problem is one of standardization. All computer keyboards (excluding specialized ones for Chinese, Arabic, etc.) are standard "qwerty." No matter where you go, "qwerty" rules.

But number pads come in two types, and we all are forced to use both - the digital entry order - like on your computer - is upside down to the telephone pad. There is no way one can get so used to both that you can use them both without stumbling.

dynocat
04-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Back when I took a "typing test," I was at 84 wpm. I'm better at the keypad from doing lots of number crunching. It's the telephone keypad I mess up. To me a typewriter was much easier. I too often hit button on my keyboard that take me away from a page and I never know why or what I did.

KristineS
04-08-2010, 01:00 PM
I type well. I'm terrible with the number pad.

I think that echoes my life. I'm a writer. I can do numbers, but they aren't really my thing.