PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here work out?

billbenson
04-10-2010, 08:46 PM
I go in phases. I have a weight machine. I'll work out for several months, then something happens and I don't get back into it for 6 months. I've been working out three times a week regularly for 2 months or so now.

Dogs kept wanting to go for walks, so I bought a cheap bike at Walmart. My big dog loves to sprint for the first several blocks and then slows down to a fast trot. Really amazed me how much of a leg workout that gives me.

Watched a karate movie the other day. I was into karate in college, but thats 30 years ago. Got me thinking about it so I looked at a couple of schools and found one I like for an old fart like me (54). Pulled a calf muscle, so I can't walk and I have a ton of sore muscles today, but it really was a lot of fun.

I've never been an exercise or health freak, but I seem to have myself in a busy exercise routine, and I really feel great. And most of it is fun as well.

jamestl2
04-11-2010, 01:50 PM
I really should, but I haven't done any in awhile.

Just haven't found that one form of exercise that's really "fun" to me. Every traditional way out there now just sounds boring.

mcfarldr1
04-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Never done karate, but am a self proclaimed weight lifting expert so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Oh, and if anyone was wondering, I'm 22 years old. Haha, throwing that out there just in case.

huggytree
04-12-2010, 09:56 AM
i worked out every day with weights from age 16 to 33..then i canceled my health club membership to save $ when we had kids. I got a nice home gym and slowly declined to 2-3 x a week....now i havent worked out in years..

my joints ache and the more i work out the more they hurt...not working out makes me feel better..because my job is physical im still toned, but not the muscle man i once was...im old...

i do plan on getting back into it when the kids are older. im hoping to work out together as a family at a health club.

The Entrepreneurs Network
04-12-2010, 09:59 AM
For a guy that is getting close to retirement age, I try to stay fit. I play singles tennis 2 to 3 times a week and ballroom dance once a week. I am making time for that, no matter how busy I am.

cbscreative
04-12-2010, 03:40 PM
I exercise, but nothing I would consider a workout most of the time. I walk most days, with the weather getting nicer I'll soon be bike riding, and later this week I'll be spelunking, so that will probably be a workout.

huggytree
04-13-2010, 12:24 PM
id like to go cave exploring with you....we dont have many here in WI

My family loves Mammoth cave

Dan Furman
04-13-2010, 08:13 PM
I have a treadmill in the garage, and I put up a shelf in front of it and setup an old laptop there to watch DVD's on as I walk. I usually watch TV drama / cop series that I haven't seen, because each episode is a good 45-50 minutes, and it really makes me look forward to walking. I usually walk somewhere between 4 and 5:30pm.

Just bought the entire run of The Shield - currently, I'm on season 3, episode 2. When I'm done with The Shield, I have the entire run of Star Trek DS9. After that, I'll watch the entire run of the Sopranos (even though I have seen those.) After that, The Wire. That's easy a good year or two.

Doing it this way, I use my treadmill every day - that's important. Plus, most nice days, we take our dog for a walk outside in the evening - I avg about 3 miles daily on the treadmill, and about 2 when we go outside (2-3x a week.)

I used to lift weights, but that hasn't been great for my back. I still curl w/ light dumbbells, though.

43, and am in decent enough shape.

seolman
04-13-2010, 08:20 PM
I put in quite a few miles running...to the fridge and back

cbscreative
04-14-2010, 01:15 PM
id like to go cave exploring with you....we dont have many here in WI

My family loves Mammoth cave

The only caves I know about in MI are in the UP (a long drive from Grand Rapids where I'm at). But Mammouth Caves is exactly where we're going!

I guess I should mention we leave early tomorrow and I'll have littlle to no Internet access, nor a desire for it. We're renting a cabin and I doubt it has Internet (didn't ask). So when you see me gone from here until next week, that's why.