PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite movie line?

Harold Mansfield
04-21-2010, 09:25 AM
You know there used to be a day when people quoted scholars, accomplished authors and educators..I didn't grow up in that day, nor do I run in those circles.

I grew up with movies and T.V.

I have a lot of good ones that I like, many from the movie "The Heist" with Gene Hackman, Danny DeVito, Ricky Jay, and Delroy Lindo.

This one from Ricky Jay who played "The Professional" in this movie about a robbery.

The Set Up: "Is your guy quiet?"
The Line: "My guy is quieter than an ant p*ssing on cotton balls"

I know everybody has a movie line that they have quoted from time to time.

Patrysha
04-21-2010, 09:43 AM
One of the lines that gets thrown a lot in our house...

"Don't condescend me man, I'll f'in kill you" (Brad Pitt from True Romance)

We quote wa-ay too much Monty Python

"I wasn't expecting a Spanish Inquisition"
"No one expects a Spanish Inquisition"

Also "Burn her/him s/he's a witch"

Also the Jedi mind trick "You don't want a chocolate bar, you want an apple"

vangogh
04-21-2010, 11:54 AM
So many lines to choose from. I think my favorite though, is from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. After an attempt to blow up a safe ends up blowing apart the entire train car and the money from the safe is flying around in the wind, Sundance looks at Butch and says

"Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

cbscreative
04-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Yeah, it's a lot of choices and I can't really pick a favorite, but this one is at least on some kind of list if I were to create one. It is from the movie Armageddon where Bruce Willis plays the crew leader on an ocean oil drilling rig. The gov't decides to recruit a band of oil drillers, blast them out into space, and land them on an asteroid that is on a collision course for Earth so they can drill to plant nukes to blow apart the asteroid.

As these guys are sitting in the shuttle ready to blast off, the wise guy of the bunch says this:

"Hey, did you realize that we are sitting on a couple thousand gallons of fuel, a ship with 27 thousand moving parts, and a nuclear weapon—all built by the lowest bidder? Makes you feel good, doesn't it?"

Harold Mansfield
04-21-2010, 02:10 PM
"Hey, did you realize that we are sitting on a couple thousand gallons of fuel, a ship with 27 thousand moving parts, and a nuclear weapon—all built by the lowest bidder? Makes you feel good, doesn't it?"

Love that movie!
Bruce Willis cannot save the world enough times for me, I never get sick of it.

I think that was Steve Buscemi. He played "Rockhound".

Patrysha
04-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

"Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

Our faves from that movie is "you keep doing the thinking Butch, that's what you're good at"

and "I have vision and the rest of the world wears bi-focals"

vangogh
04-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Two more good lines from the movie. There are so many more too. The whole "Who are those guys" scenes are filled with great lines culminating with Butch and Sundance having to jump off the cliff and into the river to get away from the posse

"I can't swim"
laughter
"You can't swim? Hell the fall will probably kill you"

Harold Mansfield
04-21-2010, 10:06 PM
"You can't swim? Hell the fall will probably kill you"

Is that were that line came from ?
It's been ripped off sooo many times over the years with subtle changes here and there.

vangogh
04-22-2010, 11:25 AM
That's where it comes from. It's one of the first movies I ever saw in the theater. I must have been about 4 or 5 and since then I've watched the movie countless times. I'd highly recommend it if you haven't seen it.

There are many, many more great lines from the movie too.

@Patrysha - I forgot to mention it earlier, but I can join you in quoting Monty Python. I think I can quote every line from The Holy Grail, I've seen it so often.

Patrysha
04-22-2010, 12:19 PM
@Patrysha - I forgot to mention it earlier, but I can join you in quoting Monty Python. I think I can quote every line from The Holy Grail, I've seen it so often.

I hear ya, it gets heavy play time here too. We've all watched it way too many times to count. My middle son is the quoting whiz at The Holy Grail in our family...

vangogh
04-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Back in ancient times when we used these things called VCRs, I had a tape with 4 Monty Python movies on it. There were days where friends and myself would pop the tape in and watch all 4 movies.

The Holy Grail was the first movie on the tape and naturally got watched the most. I'm rusty, but I bet I can still ramble off most of the lines from the movie.

Patrysha
04-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Back in ancient times....lol

So funny how quickly things change. I'm not really all that old, but I remember the first VCR we had...behemoth of a thing...with a wired remote...and our first video store card (back then they charged huge fees for yearly memberships on top of the rental rates)...

We didn't watch a ton of western movies outside of kids movies though...lots and lots of Bollywood...

Who knew Bollywood would one day be cool?

vangogh
04-23-2010, 10:59 AM
I remember when the VCR first came out and then a couple years later cable made it's way to my area. I don't remember the VCR having a wired remote, but our first cable box did.

DeniseTaylor
04-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Oh, I've gotta respond to this one . . .

Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) in Aliens. The scene where she's suited up in the robot forklift thing, defending the little girl from evil alien: "Get away from her you b--tch!"

or

Alice (Milla Jovovich) in Resident Evil. "My name...is Alice. And I remember everything."

Okay, I just picked that Resident Evil quote, because seriously - I love girls who kick monster booty! :D

Harold Mansfield
04-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Oh, I've gotta respond to this one . . .

Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) in Aliens. The scene where she's suited up in the robot forklift thing, defending the little girl from evil alien: "Get away from her you b--tch!"

or

Alice (Milla Jovovich) in Resident Evil. "My name...is Alice. And I remember everything."

Okay, I just picked that Resident Evil quote, because seriously - I love girls who kick monster booty! :D

So do I, love both those movies, but especially the Resident Evil series.

Dan Furman
04-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Now You's Can't Leave (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2PXb7xKhcI)

Harold Mansfield
04-25-2010, 01:04 PM
This is not a movie line, but I still loved it.
It's from The Cleavland Show.

Cleavland was having issues with his young stepson Rollo (5 years old) competing for his Mothers attention over his new step dad (Cleveland).

After his Mother had the talk with him about kids sleeping in their beds and Mommy's and Daddy's sleeping in their beds, Rollo was ranting on the way up the stairs while Cleveland was sitting on the couch reading:

Rollo: "You send a woman to do your dirty work? How do you sleep at night?"
Cleveland: (nonchalantly) "Butt naked next to yo Momma."

cbscreative
04-26-2010, 03:42 PM
The name Cleveland reminded me of a line from the Movie Delerious. John Candy played a soap opera writer who gets trapped in his own soap opera. He discovers that whatever he writes happens. He was having some problems with a character played by Robert Wagner so he writes about the charcter getting relocated to Cleveland to get rid of him.

Later in the movie, Robert Wagner is back pointing a gun at Candy when he arrives at his place.

John Candy is stumped as to how Wagner got there and says, "I sent you to Cleveland."

Robert Wagner responds, "Yeah, and I could kill you just for that reason alone."

Since I had been to Cleveland, I thought that was funny.

Business Attorney
04-27-2010, 12:17 AM
Be careful what you say about Cleveland. Chicago Bulls center Joakim Noah made some unfavorable comments about the city last week and was treated to boos every time he touched the ball. It seems the residents of that fine city are a little touchy...

nighthawk
04-29-2010, 10:00 AM
"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!". Absolute classic.

Another great one, which sounds similar to vangogh's one earlier, comes from The Italian Job (Original):
While practicing for the robbery, the demolition guy blows up the security van, completely destroying it.
Charlie Croker: "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

vangogh
04-29-2010, 07:01 PM
I saw the Italian Job not too long ago. I'm not sure if it was the original or the remake though. Seemed like a relatively recent production so I'll guess remake. Great movie.