PDA

View Full Version : Who here owns 'thier name'.com ?

Harold Mansfield
06-10-2010, 12:05 AM
I was just wondering how many of you own your own name sake as a domain ?

Personally, I think my name was the second domain I ever registered, and I think the same day, or soon after, I made sure that I had all of the top email accounts too...'myname"@ MSN, Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, and AOL

Business Attorney
06-10-2010, 12:20 AM
A few years ago I checked and my name as a .com was already registered by someone (I think in Germany, but I'm not sure).

Then, last year I was registering some domains on goDaddy and they always try to cross sell more domains - usually net, .org etc... versions of the name you are registering. This time GoDaddy showed DavidStaub.com on the list (I guess just because my name was the contact person on my account) They even said I could buy the domain that day for $1.99, so I went ahead and bought it. After I added up the bill, it turned out they had charged me $8.99 for it, just like the other .com domains I bought that day, but once I have it I figure I'll probably keep it.

Of course, I have no real use for the domain.

Harold Mansfield
06-10-2010, 12:24 AM
I tried to use mine for business and it just wasn't a good fit, that plus it was the worst design and set up that I had ever done just proved to me that it wasn't meant to be used that way.

I keep saying I'll put a resume on it at some point, but I haven't yet.

jamestl2
06-10-2010, 12:26 AM
I do (http://jameslewitzke.com/).

Although I don't really use it for much at the moment besides as my hosting portal domain (it's a shared hosting account with add-on domains), and testing grounds (under various subdomains) where I can write code and design sites without interruption.

vangogh
06-10-2010, 02:48 AM
Mine was gone before I got online. It's being redirected to a cabinet maker. It's the same owner for 5 or 6 years too. I'd buy it if it became available, though it's not something all that important to me.

Spider
06-10-2010, 08:38 AM
FrederickPearce.com is my main website. Everything else revolves around that. As resistant to change as I may appear, sometimes, I am totally into the Web.

KristineS
06-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Never even thought about it. Seems weird with all the blogs I have, but buying my name as a domain never occurred to me. Now I'm thinking I should check it out.

cbscreative
06-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Like David, I was given the opportunity to register mine with GoDaddy while I was registering another domain. I never really pursued it, but because they offered, I grabbed it. I've not done anything with it, and don't know if I will or not, but I have it just in case.

vangogh
06-10-2010, 12:09 PM
You might as well redirect it to your site. That way if people search for you by name it's another opportunity for them to find you.

cbscreative
06-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks, vangogh. I can't believe it never occured to me to do that. I do this kind of thinking for clients every day, so I find it interesting how easy it is to overlook the obvious for myself. :eek:

vangogh
06-10-2010, 03:16 PM
The cobbler's kids have no shoes :)

lav
06-13-2010, 07:59 AM
the .com was gone but I got the .com.au

I did offer to buy the .com but the owner wont part with it......

I also recently purchased my childrens names and will renew them just in case they need them in the future.

vangogh
06-14-2010, 11:08 AM
In your case the com.au makes sense, Sucks to have a common enough name where there are other people who can beat you to purchasing the domain, doesn't it?

cbscreative
06-14-2010, 02:15 PM
vangogh.com (http://vangogh.com/)

You mean this isn't you, vg?

vangogh
06-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Shh…that was supposed to be a secret.

jamestl2
06-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Actually, Steve owns a Cabinet company. :D

(His 'name domain' redirects to it.)

painperdu
06-16-2010, 07:33 AM
I own my 'lastname'.org and .info.

KristineS
06-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Hmm, my name is available. Now I'm thinking about buying it. Don't know what I'd do with it, but it's not that expensive.

O.k., you guys are a bad influence. I bought the domain, and .net and .org.

cbscreative
06-16-2010, 01:43 PM

Now I feel guilty... **walking away, head held low, muttering in shame**

Evan
06-16-2010, 03:06 PM
I used to use my name as my business name, and thus it was great for that use. Now it's more of a biography page / life resume (albeit brief). I use it mainly for the e-mail address, which is much more professional than @yahoo, @gmail, etc.

Spider
06-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Kristine @kristine.com and Evan @evan.com is SO much more together!

billbenson
06-16-2010, 06:21 PM
I used to use my name as my business name, and thus it was great for that use. Now it's more of a biography page / life resume (albeit brief). I use it mainly for the e-mail address, which is much more professional than @yahoo, @gmail, etc.

It does make sense as an online resume page. Never thought about that aspect, Although with luck I'll never look for another job as long as I live :)

vangogh
06-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Works well for anyone who's freelancing too. Otherwise you end up trying to brand both your name and your business name. If they're one in the same it's that much easier.

Evan
06-17-2010, 01:51 PM
It does make sense as an online resume page. Never thought about that aspect, Although with luck I'll never look for another job as long as I live :)

It depends though. You may not be looking for a job, but somebody may be interested, based on your background, in having you assist them in your area of specialty. It doesn't have to be set up a "please hire me" fashion.

amir
06-17-2010, 02:27 PM
I have been a domain registration reseller since 1999. I registered my lastname (sachs.co.za) as a domain name in South Africa in 1996. I have thought about registering my full name as a domain, but i guess I'm NOT the brand I want to promote. I have however given ALL my family members their own @sachs.co.za email accounts :).

Personally, I think you should register your name as a domain if:
1. Your name is the same as a celebrity
2. You want YOU to be the brand name

otherwise, it all just an ego thing. Isn't it?

Harold Mansfield
06-17-2010, 02:37 PM
otherwise, it all just an ego thing. Isn't it?

Heck yeah it's an ego thing. But I also don't want some other Harold Mansfield to use it for something ridiculous.

Sometimes I register domains just so no one else can use them.
As it is there was already a horrible press story about another Harold Mansfield a few years back that had people calling my Mother offering condolences
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/case-docket/mansfield-v-church-of-the-creator

I didn't want those A-holes to get a hold of my name, his name, for some kind of BS or redirect is somewhere

Dan Furman
06-17-2010, 05:33 PM
I'd love to get mine, but there's Dan Furman that's a jazz musician who owns it - he likely won;t give it up.

I did get "danfurmanonline.com", which is fine.

KristineS
06-17-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm not entirely sure I'll ever use the ones I bought, but I'm online enough that it makes sense to have them. Who knows, someday I might write a bestsellling book and need those domains so my legions of fans will have somewhere to come.

cbscreative
06-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Frederick, I should warn you that all those searches can often result in domains becoming suddenly unavailable, especially now that it has been posted on a forum. I deleted this info specifically for that reason if it's not already too late.

WARNING: Never post domains online that you might want to register. The prying eyes on the Internet may be watching you from under a rock. Sad but true. Sorry to delete your post, but I'd rather be cautious.

Spider
06-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Frederick, I should warn you that all those searches can often result in domains becoming suddenly unavailable, especially now that it has been posted on a forum. I deleted this info specifically for that reason if it's not already too late.
WARNING: Never post domains online that you might want to register. The prying eyes on the Internet may be watching you from under a rock. Sad but true. Sorry to delete your post, but I'd rather be cautious.No problem for me. I hope Dan saw it before you deleted it, though.

A quick check tells me they are still available as noted.

cbscreative
06-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Dan, if you want to see the list, just PM an admin.

vangogh
06-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Too late. I registered them all and will now be looking to extort money from Dan. Better pay my price or watch your reputation plummet.

Ok, maybe not :)

billbenson
06-18-2010, 07:47 PM
And its not just the domain being posted. Some registrars will buy the domain and resell it if it has been searched. A good rule of thumb is if you see a domain and you think you may want it, buy it! If not someone else may have it and offer it to you for $100.

Harold Mansfield
06-19-2010, 12:05 AM
And its not just the domain being posted. Some registrars will buy the domain and resell it if it has been searched. A good rule of thumb is if you see a domain and you think you may want it, buy it! If not someone else may have it and offer it to you for $100.

I totally believe that.I only search when I have money to register immediately.
Never forget wanting a specific domain back in the beginning, and saw that it was available but didn't have any money in Pay Pal at the time.

Came home from work the next day(when I had a 'real job') ready to register it and the registrar had it listed as a premium domain for sale for $1800.

That's a lesson that you never EVER forget. I had to settle for a hack...the domain was 2 words, second word was 'Circus', so I just hacked ****circ.us.
Still not the same, but better than the other alternatives.

3 years later, that domain is still not in use and still for sale for over 1k.

vangogh
06-19-2010, 01:08 AM
Just to make it clear it's only some registrars that will register the domain and only if you search at their site. I think it was mainly Network Solutions that was registering any domain searched and not bought. It's safe to type the domain into the browser's address bar or a search engine without fear.

Much of the time if you lose out on a domain it's because someone else also wanted it and beat you to it.

At $10 or so each if you even have a thought about buying a domain, you might as well buy it.

billbenson
06-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Network Solutions is the one that always comes up. That said, any registrar can do it. I've even heard of Godaddy doing it, but it think that is more in the coincidence arena. I tested Godaddy for this about 6 months ago searching for good domain names and they were all still there a week later. Domain squatting is a sleasy practice that is out there.

There are a lot of traps and scams related to the web and for the purpose of small businesses on the web. As a small business you really need to be web, web design, and web marketing savvy. I've always thought that everyone here should make a hobby site for the sole purpose of having it appear in the top 10 for a search or or two. If you can do that, you can manage web designers, web marketers, and most other factors related to you web site.

Dan Furman
06-20-2010, 05:52 PM
huh? :)

seems I missed something

edit: figured it had to do w/ my name online. So I checked godaddy - grabbed danfurman.org, .me, .us, and .mobi - mobi might be really important - also grabbed my clear-writing (with and without the dash) there too.

Harold Mansfield
06-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Hmm, my name is available. Now I'm thinking about buying it. Don't know what I'd do with it, but it's not that expensive.

huh? :)

seems I missed something

edit: figured it had to do w/ my name online. So I checked godaddy - grabbed danfurman.org, .me, .us, and .mobi - mobi might be really important - also grabbed my clear-writing (with and without the dash) there too.

Damn, I should have thrown up a Godaddy reseller account with a link, before I posted this thread :)

I don't know why, must have something to do with your profession, but I think "danfurman.org" is much better anyway.

cbscreative
06-21-2010, 10:57 AM
I will second, third, and forth the advice to register any available domain name you want IMMEDIATELY after searching, and I'll add a double Amen to the advice! This cannot be overemphasized, and Harold's example of the $1800 price tag is exactly why.

Spider
06-21-2010, 11:22 AM
I will second, third, and forth the advice to register any available domain name you want IMMEDIATELY after searching, and I'll add a double Amen to the advice! This cannot be overemphasized, and Harold's example of the $1800 price tag is exactly why.Do you think this may have something to do with the registrar you are using? I am totally surprised at the suggestion that registrars will do this - not that I thought they wouldn't, just that I had never imagined the problem. I am constantly searching for different domains at Directnic, some I buy, most I don't, but I have never bought immediately and never found a domain I searched for previously to be unavailable later.

vangogh
06-21-2010, 11:41 AM
figured it had to do w/ my name online.

Yep. If you want to see all the domains listed with your name, send me a PM and I can copy the deleted post and send you the info.

cbscreative
06-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Do you think this may have something to do with the registrar you are using? I am totally surprised at the suggestion that registrars will do this - not that I thought they wouldn't, just that I had never imagined the problem. I am constantly searching for different domains at Directnic, some I buy, most I don't, but I have never bought immediately and never found a domain I searched for previously to be unavailable later.

Frederick, I give this advice because not everyone plays by the same rules. I don't doubt that you've never had a problem, but others have, so it's better to not take the risk IMO.

Unfortunately, even though you never imagined the problem, there are extortionists out there. I've even wondered if some of them have use means outside the registrars to monitor searches. IOW, even if DirectNIC is playing by the rules, if someone else "intercepts" the search somehow, they could lock it down. I wouldn't rule out anything on the net, so caution is the best policy.

Like the advice stated above, just type it into the address bar of the browser. If it generates a Page Not Found error, it's most likely available. I wouldn't guarantee that it is, but at least it's a safe way to start if you're not willing to drop the cash immediately.

billbenson
06-22-2010, 02:08 AM
One of the largest domain registrars Network Solutions does it. Don't trust anybody on the web!

Harold Mansfield
07-11-2010, 03:34 AM
This thread got me thinking about how I have been wasting myname.com. and the identity quagmire that I have going on. No matter how I try and operate as my company name...no one recognizes me as that...even my clients are still thrown off by it. When I send first invoices and emails, they frequently go unnoticed the first time because " Oh, I was looking for your name, I didn't know that was your company name" (because they didn't find me from the company website)...On top of that "myname.com" is the website that gets found and gets the phone calls..so I decided to stop fighting it and go with it.

So, circumstances forced me to redesign "myname.com" which was a good thing, and thinking about another thread here... "What do you see when you Google yourself"..and how I don't have all of the spots covered...I decided to do a Facebook page for "myname.com" (here (http://www.facebook.com/pages/HaroldMansfieldcom/131469863554791?v=wall)) as well, to hopefully add one more result to the top 10 and act as a separator between me personally and me the web guy.

I also converted one of my Twitter accounts that I use to Tweet Business stuff anyway, over to my name (http://twitter.com/HaroldMansfield). I forgot that I actually already had my name on Twitter and never did anything with the profile.

What's the use in securing your name if you aren't going to do anything with it? After all, no matter what you call yourself for business (unless you use an alias) , people still know your name and will remember that above all else.

I look at it this way, even if someone forgets my last name and loses my business card, they can still type in my first name and what I do and find me. Why waste that?
So it all kind of hit me all at once. You can't hide from Google..so Do I want people going back 4-5 pages and digging up some old court case or do I want to flood the first page with my own propaganda?

It's not like you can stop people from Googling you once they know your name. May as well be found the way you want to be found.

Steve B
07-11-2010, 08:07 AM
After all, no matter what you call yourself for business (unless you use an alias) , people still know your name and will remember that above all else.

It depends on how you do your marketing. I have over 500 customers and not a single one of them knows my last name. I don't necessarily hide it (it's on my website), but all my marketing is for the company name.

Harold Mansfield
07-11-2010, 10:29 AM
It depends on how you do your marketing. I have over 500 customers and not a single one of them knows my last name. I don't necessarily hide it (it's on my website), but all my marketing is for the company name.

Really? It's not on anything? receipts, Email Signatures, Business Cards ? No one has ever said "Hey Steve, I'm updating my contacts...what's your last name again?"

I was able to pull that off when I was a Bartender. For about 10 years no one knew my real name First or Last, except for the people that signed my paychecks,

Steve B
07-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Correct, it's not on anything. I'm a corporation, so the corporation is its own legal entity. So, that's what is on the receipts and checks. I probably should put it on the business card to have a more personal touch, but I didn't in the beginning because I used the business cards the way I currently use flyers - I'd put them in newspaper boxes and leave them at vet offices. My e-mail signature just uses my first name and my title "Top Dog". Several customers have become casual friends and I kind of doubt they even know my last name.

Building the name recognition of the business will be important for anyone that will want to sell their business. I also do it so I don't overide the corporate status - I want to keep my personal assets protected. And, finally, I'm competing with relatively large national companies and I want to make sure people think of me in the same light (from a credibility / longevity point of view). However, I'm going to get away from that just a little bit as I'm going to add a page to my website which will show photos of me and my employees with a little Bio.