PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in Canada

KristineS
06-23-2010, 04:25 PM
So I guess there was a magnitude 5.0 earthquake on the Ontario/Quebec border this afternoon. It was also felt in Michigan, New York and Vermont. I'm too far North to have felt it, but I have friends in Buffalo, NY who said they did.

Anyone here shake, rattle and roll for a moment or two?

cbscreative
06-23-2010, 05:01 PM
A lot of people in Grand Rapids felt it. I didn't notice. Either it escaped my attention for whatever reason or it was only felt in certain areas.

vangogh
06-23-2010, 07:20 PM
I caught that a little while ago. On Twitter actually. I haven't had a chance to read much more about it.

Harold Mansfield
06-24-2010, 08:42 AM
So I guess there was a magnitude 5.0 earthquake on the Ontario/Quebec border this afternoon. It was also felt in Michigan, New York and Vermont. I'm too far North to have felt it, but I have friends in Buffalo, NY who said they did.

Anyone here shake, rattle and roll for a moment or two?

Get outta here! That is strange. I have never heard of such a thing. Next thing you know there will be tornadoes in Vegas.

I often think about the earthquake thing here. We aren't known for them, but there are 9 fault lines that run through Las Vegas that are connected to the San Andreas....I'm actually sitting right on top of one as we speak.

There's been tremors outside of town out in the desert and most notably one rolled through Henderson about 10 years ago that basically felt like a really muffled, but heavy freight train going by. It's funny, you don't realize what is going on until you see stuff moving that shouldn't be moving or hear things creaking. It's really funny how many things are perfectly sturdy, like shelves or an entertainment unit..until the ground starts rocking and then it all looks as if it's missing a ton of screws.

If one ever does hit and I make it through, I'm otta here.

KristineS
06-24-2010, 02:21 PM
I guess people did feel it here in Traverse City. I didn't where I'm located, but it rocked things down by the water.

It is kind of weird. You don't expect to feel earthquakes here in Northern Michigan.

huggytree
06-27-2010, 09:52 AM
here in WI we had a parking structure section come down and kill a girl...they are saying it could have shifted possibly because of the earth quake.

were thinking of going in that parking garage down town today...hopefully there's no after shock.

Harold Mansfield
06-27-2010, 10:22 AM
here in WI we had a parking structure section come down and kill a girl...they are saying it could have shifted possibly because of the earth quake.

were thinking of going in that parking garage down town today...hopefully there's no after shock.

I can't believe that it is even open. Personally, I wouldn't get within 100 ft of it .

Patrysha
06-27-2010, 10:49 AM
First Earthquakes...now riots...

What a week in Ontario...

Harold Mansfield
06-27-2010, 11:13 AM
First Earthquakes...now riots...

What a week in Ontario...

Did they run out of Labatts? What's the deal with the riots?

Patrysha
06-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Seriously? You haven't heard about the G20 related riots in Toronto?

Police arrest dozens more in connection with G20 riots - CTV News (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100627/g20-protests-100627/20100627/?hub=Canada)

Harold Mansfield
06-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Seriously? You haven't heard about the G20 related riots in Toronto?

Police arrest dozens more in connection with G20 riots - CTV News (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100627/g20-protests-100627/20100627/?hub=Canada)

Actually, I'm in a stand off with the cable company so I haven't had cable TV in 4 months. It's a whole thing about never getting my previous deposit back and them wanting another deposit, separate from the one I already paid for internet.

Anyway, I am kind of out of the loop.

billbenson
06-27-2010, 03:29 PM
news = yahoo

news = cnn.com

nada mas

Patrysha
06-27-2010, 08:52 PM
I haven't watched tv on actual television for at least 18 months...though we did recently reconnect to the satellite. I get my news through radio and the net.

cbscreative
06-28-2010, 11:39 AM
I haven't watched tv on actual television for at least 18 months

I think it's probably been at least 2-3 years for us. It's all slanted they way they want to present it anyway.