PDA

View Full Version : horrible customer service observed

huggytree
07-09-2010, 10:45 PM
one of my best builders was finishing up a kitchen remodel...all new appliances-top of the line...the appliance company did not do ANY setup....she was left with appliances in boxes in the kitchen...were talking Viking stove and SubZero fridge...could have been $10k+ in appliances...they refused to install them..

i hooked up the gas line to the stove and helped push it in (it was not in my contract)

then i was missing a piece for the water line on the dishwasher (this IS my job to install)... it was an extra part which was supposed to be included with the dishwasher, not a part i would stock in my van...it was specific to this model dishwasher....she called the appliance company and told them she wanted the part...i called them and asked for them to finish the install since it was their fault it wasnt included...(were talking 2 minutes to install)

they told the builder NO...that is was the plumbers problem.....she told them she would never buy from them again...she does 15+ houses a year...could be $100k worth of business a year...lost.....

she called me desperate to finish this project...i had already made calls and had the part ordered for my own van...i told her id send her a part the next day for free.

guess how much this part cost?........$3.50

they gave up $100k a year in business over $3.50

they argued with me and her over $3.50...how can any one be so stupid? this was a large specialty appliance company....not some cut rate deal..

also who ever heard of a appliance company who didnt setup the appliances? Sears hooked up my fridge for me....it was part of the price...i didnt have an option to set it up myself

unbelievable how poor some companies are for service....here for $3.50 i am her hero.. i get about $50k in business a year from her...i didnt charge her for the gas line to the stove or the dishwasher part...she was in trouble and i took the worry off her mind.

Brian
07-11-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm all in favor of a business having procedures and processes--they help us achieve the results we desire. But this sounds like an example of doing things "by the book" and ignoring the fact that the results are not going to be desirable. Sometimes the rules get in the way of what we want and the rules need to be broken. But if employees don't have that power, the results can be horrible for the company. Sadly, they may never even know why.

sequoiapayroll
07-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Stupid. And what is CRAZY is these big companies thrive. I just don't understand what has happened with customer service. Very rarely it seems that you'll find a big company with good customer relations.

huggytree
07-11-2010, 05:35 PM
what blew my mind is that they showed up in a large moving van and had no extra or spare parts....

i would think a appliance delivery truck would be stocked with odds and ends to hook up the appliances...these guys were just movers...they didnt even know how to install...ive bought appliances from all sorts of stores...everyone took care of the install as part of the basic pkg.

when there's a bad situation i always look for ways to make it a positive one...this time i wasnt to blame, but i made someone elses bad situation into a positive for my company...

cocoy
07-14-2010, 11:12 AM
She should have asked before buying if installation was included. To me it seems like a common question when one buys appliances. Simple really.

prova.fm
07-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Stupid. And what is CRAZY is these big companies thrive.

This part blows my mind & I can't stand it. I think some corporations can get so big, they're "self propelled," meaning no matter how bad they act, they seem to thrive. AT&T sure does a good job of that. I'm in San Diego & for internet only get AT&T DSL or Time Warner Cable. I've been trying out AT&T's DSL, but it's sooo bad. Every link I click on I wonder if it will work or not. At least 10 percent of the pages I load come up with the error that the server can't be found. When I call to see if I can figure out what's wrong, I get a call center in a certain far off country of the world. They "do a test" & assure me my connection is fine. Lovely. Thanks.

Tons of companies give bad customer service, but that leaves room for smaller competitors to offer better service & charge a little more.

jrobconsult
07-23-2010, 06:28 PM
This happens every day to some degree. Businesses worry too much what they cannot do for a customer instead of what they can do to have a customer for life.

Harold Mansfield
07-23-2010, 10:52 PM
I love it when other people screw up and I get the call. That's how I have been paying the bills for the last month or so. It's great.

huggytree
07-24-2010, 09:59 PM
a negative situation is always a perfect spot to become a hero by turning it into a positive one...someone needs your help..help them...its called good service...

mistakes and bad judgment calls happen to everyone..its how you fix the problem that partially determines how successful your business is....i strongly believe that and focus like a laser on it......ive turned almost every negative situation into a positive or at least neutral one.....a few couldnt be fixed because of a suborn homeowner, so im not 100%...1 or less a year cant be fixed because the homeowner wont let you fix it....typically the type who wants to prove a point instead of fix it