PDA

View Full Version : The University of Oxford makes computers? Wow !

Harold Mansfield
07-23-2010, 12:31 AM
I was looking through amazon looking for a new tower and I came across these:
University of Oxford Computers Webstore (http://oxfordcomputerstore.com/)

They don't have a flashy website or anything but they really look like something special.
Has anyone ever heard of these or seen one in person?
http://oxfordcomputerstore.com/Oxford-ENIGMA/M/B002M9X8KG.htm

vangogh
07-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Wow. I never would have thought the University of Oxford built and sold computers. They look very high end and I see they're priced that way. I like the look of the Arthur model better then the Enigma, but both look very nice. Impressive specs on both too.

Can't say I've ever seen one in person or have enough money to spare to buy one, but after one look I think I want one.

Business Attorney
07-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Wow. I never would have thought the University of Oxford built and sold computers.

They don't. "In 2008 F ROSS LLC entered into a contract with the University of Oxford to commercially produce high-powered computers bearing the Oxford name and logo."

Harold Mansfield
07-23-2010, 11:08 AM
They don't. "In 2008 F ROSS LLC entered into a contract with the University of Oxford to commercially produce high-powered computers bearing the Oxford name and logo."

Ah Ha! Well that makes since. Still...some very, very nice looking machines. If I had $8k laying around I wouldn't think twice about ordering one. Something to shoot for I guess.

vangogh
07-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks David. That makes more sense than the University making them. Still some really nice looking and powerful computers.

Harold Mansfield
07-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Can'r stop thinking about them. I'm shopping for a new tower now and I wish I had never seen these..everything else just looks like a Ford Pinto in comparison.

vangogh
07-26-2010, 11:52 PM
Funny. Are you starting to save. Maybe hold off a few months or a year until you've saved up the extra cost?

billbenson
07-27-2010, 12:59 AM
And when you open it up to clean the dust out after your first few months of use, I bet the motherboard says "made in china"

Harold Mansfield
07-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Funny. Are you starting to save. Maybe hold off a few months or a year until you've saved up the extra cost?
Well, I need a new tower and a couple more monitors now...so that has to happen in the next week or so..but I definitely have these on the radar..when I see an opportunity financially that gets me close, I'll make it happen.

And when you open it up to clean the dust out after your first few months of use, I bet the motherboard says "made in china"

Probably. What isn't? Do we even make any electronics in the U.S anymore?
I remember back in the 80's, everything was "Made in Japan" and they haven't looked back since.

KristineS
07-27-2010, 03:06 PM
I've never heard of these. I'll have to ask my IT buddies if they know about them. They do look like nice computers.