PDA

View Full Version : The most influential people online?

lav
07-31-2010, 09:48 PM
I came across this the other day, to me its just a big popularity contest but it has snowballed a little in the last couple of days. I must admit it is kind of a little fun trying to keep yourself moving up the ranks.

Take a look here (http://fcinf.com/v/aqo6) and find out how much influence you have across the web you may be suprised

vangogh
08-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Looks like an interesting project. I didn't register yet myself, but I think I may out of curiosity. I don't know how much influence I'll end up with since I tend to join things like this and then forget about them. Am I right that you need to actively promote yourself to have more influence?

lav
08-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Yeah they give you a unique url and the more people that follow that url adds to your influence, you also get partial credit for people that register through your link (so if you register, do it through my link ;) ). You also receive partial credit for people who registering under those that have registered through you.

I moved up the rankings pretty quickly to where I am now but I think Im and the end of my resources haha because Im slowly moving back down again as more popular people join. I think it will be great exposure for those who rank in the top 100 or so at the end of it.

vangogh
08-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Yeah I noticed that when I visited it added something to your influence. I will definitely go through your link if I register and I'll probably visit through your link in any event just to help out. I see you influenced Patrysha since her images is floating around yours when I check your influence. Hmm? I'm beginning to think of a blog post which might mean signing up and posting my link to my audience. It could be an interesting way to see how much influence I have.

One bit of irony in all this is the site running the whole thing would need to be influential enough to attract a wide enough and large enough audience to make any of what they find meaningful. In this case I think Fast Company has that influence.

lav
08-10-2010, 11:29 PM
One bit of irony in all this is the site running the whole thing would need to be influential enough to attract a wide enough and large enough audience to make any of what they find meaningful. In this case I think Fast Company has that influence. True, and the other point is that a lot of the very very influentual people may not even register. The project is heading towards 30,000 users at the moment which is a pretty large registration in a short period of time but I would really like to know how many people are visiting the site and not registering eg I can see who registers trhough my link but my stats dont show me how many people I have actually influenced to follow the link (that I can find). It only shows me a percentile. They intend to publish the users images in a printed book at the end of the project.....BIG BOOK

vangogh
08-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Yeah. This will be far from a perfect experiment, but it's interesting nonetheless. I know part of it is a competition, though I think the most interesting part will be to see how far some people's influence spreads and the range of influence from lowest to highest. Should be an interesting book. I buy Fast Company magazine every month so I'll have to see if they mention something about it in there.