PDA

View Full Version : DESIGNERS: I Need Help With A Brochure

Paul Elliott
09-07-2010, 06:54 PM
I have a client with an 8.5" X11" brochure, 4-color process both sides, with 2 folds. It has photos, images, and text.

I have the PUB file that I can email.

My client wants it "improved." The photos need some work and I will be revising the text, but she would like to stay with the basic format.

So, any of you designers who want to take a look at it, PM me with an email address and I'll send you the PUB file for you to look over and offer me a bid to pass on to her.

She is inclined to use what she has, though I truly hope not. You will see why, if you ask for the PUB file. If it works out, she will pay you directly. I don't mark up other peoples' work for my clients but charge my clients directly.

I thought I'd start out looking here on SBF for a vendor before looking elsewhere. Thank you for your help.

Paul

cbscreative
09-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Paul, welcome back. I removed your email from the post to spare you having email harvesters collect it and send your spam levels spiking.

I'd offer help, but I keep my computer free from the scourge of MS Publisher. I can read almost any file format, but I stay clear of that one.

Patrysha
09-07-2010, 09:44 PM
My gifting is the words...I just make the pictures and graphics look as best I can around that...but if you're doing the words, then I'm not sure I'd be much help.

Paul Elliott
09-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Paul, welcome back. I removed your email from the post to spare you having email harvesters collect it and send your spam levels spiking.

I'd offer help, but I keep my computer free from the scourge of MS Publisher. I can read almost any file format, but I stay clear of that one.

Thanks for the email advice. I hadn't thought of that.

The PUB file is the only format I can get it in.

Paul

Paul Elliott
09-07-2010, 09:51 PM
My gifting is the words...I just make the pictures and graphics look as best I can around that...but if you're doing the words, then I'm not sure I'd be much help.

Yes, Patrysha, I'm doing the words. But if you'd like to give it a look-see, PM me with an email address.

Paul

Spider
09-07-2010, 11:07 PM
...The PUB file is the only format I can get it in.
PaulIt is very easy to convert to pdf. I use PDFcreator - pdfforge.org | The free PDF Creator and Converter (http://www.pdfforge.org/)

cbscreative
09-08-2010, 11:36 AM
It is very easy to convert to pdf. I use PDFcreator - pdfforge.org | The free PDF Creator and Converter (http://www.pdfforge.org/)

Thanks, Spider. I was thinking the same thing, but too lazy to look up the free PDF converters at the time. My Adobe Suite comes with Acrobat, so I'm not familiar with the free utilities to make recommendations.

I do know some of them use an "engine" to convert, which simply means the format of the source file needs to be recognized in order to convert. The best PDF converters are the ones that use the "print" command, which the one you suggested seems to do. By using the print command, it will create a PDF from ANY file your computer will open, instead of only the ones recognized by the engine.

dizzle
09-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Is this something that needs to be created in publisher only? Most designers will highly recommend that any marketing materials that are made be made in a design program such as adobe indesign or illustrator.

I could possibly re-create the brochure for you in indesign and send you both files allowing any designer with proper software to edit it. Plus making it easy for print companies to print off large batches.

Paul Elliott
09-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks, Dizzle, but she hasn't decided what to do with it, so, I've put it on the back burner for now.

Paul

Paul Elliott
09-20-2010, 04:27 PM
It is very easy to convert to pdf. I use PDFcreator - pdfforge.org | The free PDF Creator and Converter (http://www.pdfforge.org/)

Thanks, Frederick. That's an excellent resource. I simply meant that she did it in PUB and that that was the only manipulable file structure her project was in.

Paul

Blessed
09-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Just for future reference - most PDF files can be manipulated as well, if you have the right software. :)

Paul Elliott
09-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Just for future reference - most PDF files can be manipulated as well, if you have the right software. :)

I've heard that, Jenn. What sorts of programs do you need to do that?

Thanks.

Paul

dizzle
09-21-2010, 12:55 PM
adobe illustrator would probably be the easiest and best choice.

Blessed
09-21-2010, 02:23 PM
adobe illustrator would probably be the easiest and best choice.

Ditto - it isn't fool proof but Illustrator works most of the time.

Now Dizzle... remember not to giveaway too many trade secrets :D

dizzle
09-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Now Dizzle... remember not to giveaway too many trade secrets :D

He's gotta figure out how to use illustrator first before we can worry about giving away a trade secret =p

Oh, and pay the $600 for the software too. haha

cbscreative
09-22-2010, 10:23 AM
He's gotta figure out how to use illustrator first before we can worry about giving away a trade secret =p

Oh, and pay the $600 for the software too. haha

Don't forget about either the minimum $1000+ for training classes, books, online tutorials, and/or countless hours scouring the Internet to find cheap or free training.

dizzle
09-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Don't forget about either the minimum $1000+ for training classes, books, online tutorials, and/or countless hours scouring the Internet to find cheap or free training.

and the effing pen tool. Eff that tool for newbies. Damn it to hell!

Spider
09-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Manipulate it in its original application - Publisher, in this case, I think - then print the final version into a pdf file and send. Any subsequent revisions will be made in the oriiginal application, re-printed and re-sent. I like this way better because you retain control over the final product.

cbscreative
09-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Dizzle, you should express your true feelings more and not bottle it up inside. :)

I hate that Pen Tool too. I'm very spoiled by the ease of using CorelDRAW for manipulating vectors. AI is maddening for many tasks that are easy in Corel. At least the newer versions of AI are better than the older ones.

dizzle
09-22-2010, 12:44 PM
You know i've seen a lot of people saying that coreldraw is better to use than AI. I just can't cheat on adobe with corel. I don't know if it'll be a good outcome. haha.

and for the record, eff the pen tool.

cbscreative
09-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Corel definitely has some advantages, but then the reverse is true too. IMO, Corel will do more that AI, and for me, I find it more intuitive for faster workflow. I get a chuckle sometimes when Adobe adds "new" features that Corel had for 5 years or more. There are common tasks that Corel will do in one or two clicks that Adobe sends you menu diving to achieve. You can always memorize a ton of keyboard shortcuts (which may very well change when you upgrade to a new version), but I still prefer the Corel approach to intuitiveness. Since you can easily share files between the two apps, I use whichever one I deem best for the particular task or project I'm working on.

If you do decide to cheat on Adobe, you might find it works out well. Don't let the lower price fool you, it will run circles around Adobe in several places.

Blessed
09-22-2010, 06:46 PM
what is it with you guys and the pen tool? I use a touchpad mouse and don't have any trouble with it :)

Of course I have LOTS of experience using it too... crazy customers who hand you a fax of their logo and expect you to recreate it - so glad I don't do that kind of crazy work anymore, idiotic print shop sales people who refused to ask their customers for the files we needed and still expected work to be done within the original time quote!

Oh and Frederick - the problem with Publisher is that once you create the PDF file and send it to print you find all kinds of things that don't work right and have to be reworked with actual traditional printing oriented software so... when a client gives me a Publisher file I inform them that once I start working on it there won't be any going back to Publisher and we go from there - usually that isn't an issue anyway.

Oh and guys quit reminding me about how much the software costs, I'm due an upgrade and I have to buy the whole suite... AACK!

cbscreative
09-23-2010, 11:48 AM
I think Bill Gates must have had really bad experiences with printing companies and wanted revenge. So he decided Publisher would be a great way to get them good and make them pay dearly for their sin.

Funny, Jenn. A tablet helps a lot too.

dizzle
09-24-2010, 01:40 PM
No, I don't think bill gates wanted to get back at all the printing companies.

He just wanted a way for idiots to be able to design stuff and feel proud of themselves. It's marketing and psychology.

But then there dreams of being an uber awesome designer gets crushed when they go to get things printed. So maybe he was after the print companies after all?

oh, and fyi. eff the pen tool.