PDA

View Full Version : Airport Story

billbenson
09-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Had to drop off my wife at the airport saturday. She flew out of Orlando which is about 2.5 hours from me. She had three overstuffed bags to check and one carry on. I was worried that one of her bags might be overweight so we brought an extra empty suitcase.

Dropped her off and a skycap helped her with the bags and took the empty one as well. As it turned out, she fit the weight requirement with the bags and didn't need the extra bag. Lines were all long, especially at security.

So we checked in and went rushing off to security. Once she was through security, I remembered the empty bag. Ooops. I went back to the counter, pretty much expecting it to have been confiscated. I grabbed it and immediately had two pissed off cops having a man to man talk with me. They brought a dog in to sniff the bag. I bought it the week before at goodwill, so for all I know it could have had drug residue or something else on it. I had thrown away the receipt as you can't return to Goodwill (thrift store).

So I had a good talking to and practiced saying "yes sir, no sir, it won't happen again sir" for about 5 minutes. My name is now probably in some database in Washington.

I left feeling like an idiot; and also feeling like they did a great job. No complaints and it makes you feel more secure.

One of the reasons it happened is because of the craziness in the airport and airlines. A year ago a %$^ of a counter agent made us take stuff out for a bag that was 3 lbs over. It was gifts that my wife really wanted for her family. She was going to El Salvador where people are very poor and most goods are twice the price they are here. She also buys a lot at thrift shops, so she pays $5 for a pair of slacks that are $75 on sale at Macy's. They would be $150 in El Salvador There aren't thrift stores in El Salvador. A weekly salary is about $100. This year we had a nice counter agent and had no problems. The bag was over by 2 lbs.

So this year we took an extra suite case just to be safe. With airlines constantly changing regulations including baggage requirements, they add to the confusion. I figure I have been on over 2000 flights, most before my field sales career ended 10years ago. In those days, there was never a problem with bags. If your carry on was to big, they checked it. Today, the airlines are as bad as cell phone carriers. You go to the airport, you don't know if your bags will be checked, you have to pay extra for preferential coach class seating...

I'm glad I don't fly for work anymore!!!

prettyimpress
09-14-2010, 12:47 AM
OMG, how funny it is. My boyfriend will fly to his hometown several days later. Hope won't be any stories like this.

Spider
09-14-2010, 09:11 AM
My current rule for travel is - If I can't drive, I ain't going!

Simplifies matters greatly!

Patrysha
09-14-2010, 09:17 AM
And here I am looking at potentially booking my first flight in years for speaking engagements in Ontario for small business week...

KristineS
09-14-2010, 02:00 PM
What amazes me is what is allowed to pass for a carryon these days. People bring big rolling suitcases as carryon baggage. It's nuts.

Blessed
09-21-2010, 12:11 PM
My current rule for travel is - If I can't drive, I ain't going!

Simplifies matters greatly!

Oh Frederick - that's been my rule for the last several years! Unfortunately I'm looking at having to fly by myself with my two little ones the first weekend of November. My grandmother passed away last week, she didn't want a funeral just a party - we had a small get together in Ohio where she spent her summers over the weekend - that was a 14 hour drive and my husband went with me. She lived in the Bay Area for over 50 years and we're having one last party at her house to celebrate her life on November 6th. That's a 30 hour drive and my husband can't go so... I'll probably be flying out and I'm not looking forward to it!