PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Assistants

billbenson
09-16-2010, 11:38 AM
This is for both virtual assistants and people that have used them.

Has anybody used them? Recommendations?

I could use someone for order entry, updating my order database etc. It would also require calling the manufacturer I represent for product information. The work would initially be intermittant but I could grow it to full time.

Does anybody know someone they trust, rates, other advice they may have in using someone.

vangogh
09-17-2010, 02:01 AM
I haven't used one myself, but we have a few VAs here that I'm sure could handle the work you have. KarenB has been here the longest, though she's not the only VA here. I can easily put in a good word for Karen too. I didn't hire her, but she did hire me awhile back to create her site. I think I got to know her well enough to feel good about recommending her services.

Steve B
09-17-2010, 07:20 AM
I tried it twice with terrible results. Obviously it depends on the person you hire.

Pretty much anyone with a computer and an internet connection can call themselves a VA. You just really have to do your homework and check them out (which I obviously didn't).

I think the other problem that you will have is that your work is going to be intermittent. It will be impossible for them to plan their other work around your potential needs. They will be in need of work so they will tell you they can be flexible - but they will be telling other potential clients the same thing. They are usually a one-person operation, so what will happen when client A gives them 30 hours of work in the same week that you also need 30 hours of work done?

I've met a couple successful VA's since my experience. They both only work for one client and that's the way they like it.

Patrysha
09-17-2010, 09:26 AM
I've met a couple successful VA's since my experience. They both only work for one client and that's the way they like it.

See I haven't met any like that. Most try to make sure the bulk of their work doesn't come from just one client because the devastation of having a big client leave is too scary. Also, there are a growing number of VA's who are more like team/project managers who are the face of the business with the actual work done by their team. I don't know who to recommend though...all the ones I've personally used have been specialized VA'S (Transcription, Audio editing, writing & social media...so no one into data entry)

billbenson
09-17-2010, 01:28 PM
So what would be the process in finding a decent one? I would assume craigs list would be one. Posting on forums??

If I have the money, I could potentially keep them busy with a variety of other things. I'll be going into my slow season in Nov thru Q1. This might be the time to plan to use one starting March ish.

KristineS
09-17-2010, 02:28 PM
You could try the International Virtual Assistants Association. They have a directory (http://www.ivaa.org/search/). I don't know much about the organization, but it could be a place to start.

There's also the Virtual Assistant Networking Association (http://www.vanetworking.com/find-a-virtual-assistant/). They have a free e-book that talks about how to hire a VA. Might be worth a look.

vangogh
09-17-2010, 11:37 PM
I was going to suggest either of the directories Kristine listed. I think a general search would also bring a lot of results. One thing with VAs is they may not all offer the same services. One might lean more toward marketing, while another leans more toward writing and editing and another leans more toward the graphic side of things.

Again though I'd say why not start here. Our VAs aren't always present and active, but we do have a few VAs as members, most notably KarenB who's been here since the old forum. If you do a search for virtual assistant here I'm sure you'll find the threads where the other VAs have posted. By starting here you can at least get a feel for the person outside of their business.

25thHourAssistants
09-19-2010, 01:04 AM
VAnetworking.com (http://vanetworking.com) and IVAA are probably the two best VA associations out there.

VAnetworking in particular has many resources, including a client blog (http://www.vanetworking.com/blog/) that has many tips for successfully partnering with a VA and a FREE eBook (http://www.vanetworking.com/find-a-virtual-assistant/) about how to find a VA.

I would suggest that you perhaps start by posting a Request for Proposal (RFP) on VAnetworking's RFP System (http://www.vanetworking.com/RFP/).

Best of luck, and please let me know if I can be of any assistance in your search.

MommyL
09-21-2010, 05:50 PM
I am a virtual assistant and own my own business Designs and Details (Home (http://www.designs-details.com)). We can help you will all of the things you've listed and would be happy to go over your needs with you in more detail. We work with small and large projects.

Heather

Designs&Details
09-21-2010, 07:19 PM
I think the other problem that you will have is that your work is going to be intermittent. It will be impossible for them to plan their other work around your potential needs. They will be in need of work so they will tell you they can be flexible - but they will be telling other potential clients the same thing. They are usually a one-person operation, so what will happen when client A gives them 30 hours of work in the same week that you also need 30 hours of work done?

Steve,

Heather (who posted above me) and I work together. Between the 2 of us we can spread work out, so what you're talking about here wouldn't happen.

Blessed
09-21-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm doing some virtual assistant work for some of my clients who I have done extensive graphic design work for in the past - they all own Just Between Friends franchises. I started working with one owner who referred me to another owner who referred me to another owner who... anyway! I participate in the original event as a consignor & volunteer too - and my sales expertise has worked in my favor for expanding my paying work that I do for these franchises into the virtual assistant mode too - it's interesting to see how to make it work since I've never done this type of work and my client has never had someone do this type of work for her before either. We started right smack in the middle of her busiest time of the year so I think your thought of starting during a slow time is good - that way the kinks are easier to work out!

billbenson
09-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Heather, thanks! I'll send you a PM. It may be a week or so as I need to collect my thoughts and I have a really busy next 7 days..

Thanks and we'll talk.

MommyL
09-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Take you're time! I'll be here when you've got a second to take a breath.

KarenB
10-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi Bill,

I'm sometimes on both sides of the coin at once (I work as a virtual assistant and also subcontract other VAs from time to time) so I know how you feel. Contracting with any service provider sight unseen can be a bit unnerving, and you will hear all sorts of experiences from folks both positive and negative.

Just like the dot-com boom in the '90s, the explosive flood of virtual assistants on the market during the past five years has been nothing short of mind-blowing. When I Googled the term "virtual assistant" back in 2005, there was a healthy number of results, but now Google returns almost 1.5 million. No wonder you don't know where to start!

To add to the confusion is the past decade's growth of offshore outsourcing by major companies, telecommuting arrangements with employees, work-at-home moms, independent contractors and freelancers of every sort imaginable... all made possible by the internet. Anyone can set up a website for free, hang out their shingle, label themselves as anything they want and claim to be the best. And much of this started because this new technology originally allowed employees to work at a distance from their employers. I did that for several years with (no surprise) a computer software company because they already had this technology ahead of everyone else.

Not only that, the term "virtual assistant" is now far too vague, in my opinion, because it encompasses too many possible roles.

Fast forwarding to today, there is no doubt that the virtual assistant industry is firmly here to stay. But finding a suitable one with the skill set and good fit you're looking for is sort of like looking in the yellow pages for a plumber. Do you start with "AAA Best Plumbing Service" or do you carry through all the way to the Z's? Or do you close your eyes and call the first name your finger lands on? Yikes! There has to be a better way than that!

There have been some good suggestions here by others regarding submitting free RFPs to reputable virtual assistant professional organizations. I would add two more: Canadian Virtual Assistant Connection (http://www.cvac.ca/) (Canadian Virtual Assistant Connection) and Canadian Virtual Assistant Network - (http://www.canadianva.net/) (Canadian Virtual Assistant Network). Many of the members, including myself, have clients worldwide, so geography is not an issue. Additionally, these are serious, top-notch VAs focused on providing the best professional services available.

Try Out One Project First

After you've talked to a few folks, received a few referrals or responses to your RFP, why not give a VA just a single project for starters? See how they do on that task. Then you'll have a much better feel for what they're capable of. If you like their work, maybe try them on another project and so on. There isn't a huge risk or obligation when you make it clear that this is a one-time or trial-basis project. You're not obligated to contract with them exclusively for life! If one is not a good fit, then move on to the next.

If it is a good fit and you slowly start to gain more and more trust in this person, you can incrementally increase their tasks if you want to. This gives you a chance to evaluate their quality of work, timeliness of delivery, and overall positive effect on your business. But you're under no obligation to commit to any contract unless YOU want to.

Consider a Virtual Team

You can contract with one VA or have a "team" of VAs for different needs. One could be your admin person, one could handle your social networking and one could handle your website design or whatever other specialty you require. Why not? It's no different than subcontracting different tasks to landscapers, plumbers, basement renovators or the like when you need work done on your house.

Communicate... Often!

Both you and your VA(s) need to know pretty much what is going on with each other, just as if you were in the next office. Don't be afraid to check in halfway through a project for an update. In fact, you should already be receiving updates, but if you don't get one, ask. It's your right to know. If you were working in the same office, I'm sure you wouldn't hesitate to stop by someone's desk and casually ask, "Hey, how's it going with that project?" At least when you can physically see them at their desk, you know they're working on it.

But when working virtually with someone, don't assume because you haven't heard from that person in a while that everything is okay. Maybe they didn't get your last email. Maybe they had an emergency and the work was delayed. Maybe there was a misunderstanding from the beginning about what your expectations were.

Until you have developed 100% trust in that person and you know that two weeks of silence on a project is perfectly normal because you know it will definitely be delivered on time, check in as often as you want!

Pricing

What is reasonable pricing for a virtual assistant? That depends on whether they're doing data entry or designing your website. There really is no set pricing per se. The term "virtual assistant" can encompass just about every service that can be provided via the internet.

I know technical support folks, web designers, graphic artists, customer service reps, transcriptionists, proofreaders, bookkeepers, payroll experts and executive assistants who all consider themselves and market their services as "virtual assistants". It's not just about secretarial/admin work, although the majority do have the major skill set of programs like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. Perhaps we need to further refine the title to "Virtual Administrative Assistant" if it equates more to the former in-house administrative assistants of yore.

Just remember to consider that whatever you pay them has to be fair and reasonable (in North American pricing) and take into account that you are not paying for employee benefits such as medicare, insurance, vacations, sick time or any other expenses that would be incurred to you if you hired them as an official employee. They are independent contractors and this is their business just as much as your business is yours.

By the way, great topic, Bill! :) Thanks!

Karen

KristineS
10-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Good advice Karen. Thanks for weighing in on this topic.

vangogh
10-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks Karen. I was hoping you'd come by and see this thread. Great advice as usual too. The idea to hire a team of virtual assistants is an interesting one. I've noticed most VAs have their different specialties. There seems to be a certain amount of services that the majority offer, but naturally each has different sets of skills. No reason not to hire more than one person or company based on your needs and their skills.

jonashastings
10-23-2010, 02:29 AM
try odesk, elance and easyoutsource and like what they said here do your homework and make a list of things you need the VA to know. It would be both beneficial if you have clear cut instructions to follow or a video on how you want things to be done because VA may be hourly or on a fixed price budget so this will save you a lot of dollars.

MommyL
10-29-2010, 07:00 PM
I totally agree with Karen's post. It's hard to know what your getting and whether or not it will be good. I agree, try a VA out on a small project. If you like what you see, then you can go further. Makes a lot of sense.

vangogh
11-01-2010, 11:40 AM
It makes a lot of sense for a variety of other service based businesses too. I see people complaining all the time about not know which service provider to trust. You really won't know who to trust until you start using their services. You can certainly talk to them in advance and narrow down the list of people you think will work out well, but ultimately you need to work with that person or company to know.

Give them a small project to start. If they do a poor job you've minimized your losses. If they do a good job, give them another and then another. Trust is something you build over time.