PDA

View Full Version : hampton inn and windows 7

greenoak
09-18-2010, 06:59 PM
we just went on a 2 day buying trip in ohio..stayed at a hampton with interenet....it turned out to be a big problem for dh's laptop...because its a windows 7 and their system isnt set up for that......... it wouldnt connect......they arent wireless...and the tekk guy got us on after 1/2 hr the first night then the second it was hopeless again.......
so if you are teravelling and have windows 7... you might want to check....
we watched a roku movie on out computer tho...pretty neat...

Harold Mansfield
09-19-2010, 09:55 AM
That sounds strange. I didn't know that your operating system had any bearing on it. You said they weren't wireless, so I assume that you had to physically plug into the network via Ethernet plug?
I stayed at a Hampton Inn last year for a night here in Vegas and it was wireless. Maybe the rest of the chain didn't get the memo, or they are independently owned.

greenoak
09-19-2010, 10:40 PM
they didnt have wireless and dh and the tekk decided their wired system, ethernet plug, didnt like windows 7.... they said they were getting wireless soon...

cbscreative
09-20-2010, 01:02 PM
That seems strange for them not to have wireless in a hotel these days. I have had issues with getting W7 on a network though. MS made a lot of changes in the way you network a W7 computer, and it can be frustrating. But those changes would not hinder connecting to a public wifi hotspot.

KristineS
09-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Must be a Hampton Inn thing. One of my colleagues has Windows 7 on his laptop and has stayed in several different hotel chains this year and not had any problem. I guess this is another reason to avoid Hampton Inns.

billbenson
09-20-2010, 04:14 PM
In a new building or home it is becoming more common to run Ethernet cable or even fiber (for near future compatibility). Wire will always be more reliable and faster. Wireless is more convenient if you have a good connection so people today are going to like it better. However, if you want to do something like watch streaming video or perhaps download a movie to watch, the faster speed would be desirable.

dizzle
09-27-2010, 01:09 AM
windows isn't stupid enough to make there OS that unreliable where you couldn't just plug in an ethernet cable and surf away.

W7 is intuitive (as much as I hate msft as a whole) and works well for your average joe computer user. It was def an issue with the network with hampton suites and not an issue with your computer.

greenoak
09-27-2010, 04:30 PM
we knew that....
they just didnt have the right hook up for us.... they tried....and said they were getting wireless later... we wont go there again....i think iot was an older hampton...
we have wondows 7 on 3 of our computers...maybe all.

Evan
09-28-2010, 09:53 AM
I stayed at a Hampton Inn not that long ago, with Windows 7 -- had no problem. Most are wireless, some are still trying to get rid of the "wires", but that certainly should not have been the issue.

Also, Hampton Inn's are part of Hilton Hotels... :)

greenoak
09-28-2010, 05:28 PM
whatever....
but we had one night with service after the tekk worked on the phone with dh for over 45 minutes....and the next night with no service at all....and our laptop doesnt have a problem....it works just fine and our windows 7 works just fine....
the tekk and dh said it was their problem.. i was just reporting...