PDA

View Full Version : Do you still read any Industry related magazines? If so which ones?

Harold Mansfield
09-19-2010, 09:50 AM
In the late 90's I was a magazine junkie. Had subscriptions too all of the tech magz..Business 2.0, Fast Company, Red Herring, and about 7 others...most of which are gone now.

I still like the feel of a magazine, especially a well made one. The ads are just as much a part of the mag as the articles. A 300x250 ad in the sidebar of a website just doesn't catch my attention like a full page glossy.

With most of the tech magz gone, I'm pretty much down to general mixture of magazines...Website, Forbes, Entrepreneur, Computer World and Advertising Age.

Do you guys still read any industry specific (whatever your industry is) magazines regularly?

Patrysha
09-19-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't read a lot of magazines that aren't online on a regular basis (other than the free ones like Website and Success)...occassionally I'll go to the library and read through as many back issues on a particular topic/niche I need to research for a client or just to catch up on old hobbies for a little bit...

billbenson
09-19-2010, 04:02 PM
In the late 90's yes because I was on a lot of 5 hour airplane flights. Today, not much. Curious where this thread goes to see if there is anything I'm missing.

greenoak
09-19-2010, 05:58 PM
i do....all the decorating ones...and wired, , and a retail one, country business.....i love paper....

vangogh
09-20-2010, 12:03 AM
I read a handful of magazines each month. Sadly the design magazines I liked best seemed to have stopped publishing. One bought the other and I haven't seen an issue of either since. I like reading magazines, because I think it's a good way to keep up with the industry. Reading blogs are one thing, but they only present one side of things. Reading magazines gives me a more well-rounded picture of what's going on.

I also like reading some non-industry related magazines, in part simply for the enjoyment, and in part to learn from other industries and bring them back to design.

Besides being in any industry like web design, pretty much anything in print or on the web can teach me something. Just looking at how any magazine is designed generates ideas for me.

KristineS
09-20-2010, 01:50 PM
I read magazines for the industry in which I work, but mostly in digital format now. I've pretty much stopped reading all the marketing and business magazines. I had subscriptions to quite a few magazines a few years back, but either they stopped publishing, the content got crappy or they got too expensive for me to justify a subscription. It's kind of sad because I like magazines.